PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Since there's a lot of dog love out there, here's some for our feline friends.

This is our boy Aki ( short for Akihito), bugger is a gargantuan goofball, but also the most loving cat.View attachment 167021
Next is our ironically named Piper, we named her before I got into pipe smoking. She's skiddish, demanding and a ferocious cuddler, the cutest thing I've seen with four legs.View attachment 167022
cats are just the best. My first cat had this thing where he tried to eat chewing tobacco. As in the first time he actually ate it. Someone was putting in a pinch he did the cat something smells interesting and so they let him smell it thinking no way the cat will eat it.... well he ate it and it was a big pinch like a pinch from a three pouch a day redman chewer. He was fine, which I think is more to do with what a tough little bastard he was. (he was my first cat and a little sweet psycho, who I was the only person who could carry him around). Yeah cats are great. I need to get a picture of what my cat does when I play video games. He sits on my lap or arms or both.... And sleeps but seems to wake up for the big set pieces and either stands up and rubs my face with his (not helpful) or watches the screen like it's full of plush mousies.)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It's funny, I used to hate cats, until we got our first. Now I don't want to live without one.
I probably already told you this but I didn't hate cats but I thought the real pet heirarchy went dogs at the top cool dogs especially. Then cats were a step up from hamsters. Then my dad rescued a starving cat he found up in the mountains (foothills). Well I hung out with the thing because I felt sorry for it, but I didn't like it. Then it gave me this look all cat owners know, it's the intense cat look. The look of that cat is either going to latch on to my leg and try to rip it off or give me sweet head butts and purrs. He jumped on my lap and wrapped his paws around my neck and rubbed his face all over mine. And that's when I thought oh man cats rock.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cats do unexpected things. Our Fred jumped on a smoked salmon wrapped in plastic, a Christmas gift, and surfed across the carpet the length of the room. Our Lefty was able to catch treats tossed to him between his paws and pop them in his mouth.

Amazing cat photos on this thread. Supposedly, "domestic" cats have 99 percent of the genetics of tigers. DiVinci called cats living art. Hemingway and Twain were known for their fondness for cats.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
It's funny, I used to hate cats, until we got our first. Now I don't want to live without one.
A few things I believe about cats.

A cat's personality is the product of the environment they grow up in. Loving environment equals loving cat. Hostile environment equals hostile cat. Just like people.

Just like people cats have certain traits that are common to all of them and other traits that are unique to the particular cat. It's their personality.

Cats are survivors. They evolved in a world where many preditors were larger and stronger than them. The had to be weary of danger in order to survive. This is often misinterpreted as being aloof and unfriendly.

People who say they don't like cats feel that way because they don't understand them.

When a cat gets to know you and feels secure around you, they can be very loyal and loving.

We can become very attached to a cat. A couple of years ago I had to have "Benny" put to sleep because she was old and in such bad shape. I don't think I would have felt worse if she had been my own child.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Lily.

The most wonderful, perfect-in-every-way, and deserving of adoration life form in the Universe (according to her, anyway):

View attachment 167032

Hoover

What you see is what you get. 15 pound male, super chill, funny, loves to play. A "surfer dude" cat:

View attachment 167033

Neither of them is bothered by---or even pays attention to---pipe smoking in any way, shape, or form, and never has.
And they are living proof aliens do exist :)

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Spur of the moment pic of 2 of 3 cats we have now that we er, ah, “acquired” by rescuing the mother (down low, right) from a pond with a shattered leg.

We suspect a neighbor hit her on the country road and tossed her in the pond for disposal.

Wife’s choice to pay a big vet bill and keep her gave us more than we were expecting.

Pregnant!
A85A5AB9-47C6-4FF1-9514-2663FB7823E5.jpeg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
FLDRD, now that was a cat rescue indeed. Poor gal, pregnant and left for drowned. You and your wife have earned high rent accommodations in the world to come. I've faced some breath-taking vet bills, but it always seems worth it on hind sight.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Only peripherally connected to pipes, but...

Years ago I drove for a live load flatbed outfit in Montana. At the end my my hours one day I found a spot and was shutting down, picked up the pipe I'd been smoking on the road but had set down while backing, and was relaxing a bit before going inside.

Just puffing away contentedly, the me, when I suddenly felt like I was being watched.

So I turned to my left:

Kitty 2.jpg

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
A few things I believe about cats.

A cat's personality is the product of the environment they grow up in. Loving environment equals loving cat. Hostile environment equals hostile cat. Just like people.

Just like people cats have certain traits that are common to all of them and other traits that are unique to the particular cat. It's their personality.

Cats are survivors. They evolved in a world where many preditors were larger and stronger than them. The had to be weary of danger in order to survive. This is often misinterpreted as being aloof and unfriendly.

People who say they don't like cats feel that way because they don't understand them.

When a cat gets to know you and feels secure around you, they can be very loyal and loving.

We can become very attached to a cat. A couple of years ago I had to have "Benny" put to sleep because she was old and in such bad shape. I don't think I would have felt worse if she had been my own child.
I agree with this 👆 entirely.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
While my wife and I have had many friendly felines (and canines too, we like both) in our family over the decades, I remember especially fondly the cat, Moby, I inherited as a bachelor in graduate school. This cat was a very big, black & white (tuxedo) cat with extra toes on each paw.

He was big, but he was very gentle and damn near as attentive as a dog as well. He would follow me around my apartment everywhere, and whenever I
sat he was immediately on my lap. If I laid down, he would instantly be sprawled out beside me.

Most of the time, when I would smoke my pipe, he did not take any particular notice. HOWEVER, one time, I blew a smoke ring….. and he was extremely intrigued and got up and started to paw at the “ring” trying to capture it as it floated in air.

When I saw that, I tried again, and he again tried to snag the “ring”. It soon became a bit of a common “parlor trick” I would show folks when they would visit. He always brought forth a bunch of smiles and laughs with his “trick”.