PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

motorjon68

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2023
Cincinnati
George Remus and Maude respectively. George was found while on a motorcycle ride. The location was near the cem where George Remus is buried. If unfamiliar, look him up. A fascinating fella.

Reactions: mbmoehl

motorjon68

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2023
Cincinnati
Delighted to see all these pictures of pipe smokers with their owners. Mine passed away a few years ago. It was a 21-year old Persian. I still miss him. RIP, Tigger.
My first cat as an adult was Ben. He was 20 years and 3mos. From age 23 to 43 is quite a change in a man’s life and he was with me through it all. He was spectacular.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm intrigued by cat intelligence. When people compare human and cat intelligence, they entirely use human criteria, so of course the cats lose by a good bit.

However, the more time you spend around cats and the cats' world, inner and general, you begin to see how complex and intricate they are. Cat damage in human terms isn't damage to the cats at all; they are unaware of it.

Dogs are tribal, hierarchical in deference to the alpha, and often self-sacrificial; I still love and honor the dog of my childhood, an all-black Springer-Cocker Spaniel mix but with uncommon strength for its size. But cats are quite different, in some ways more like the solitary side of people.

I think cats are more like people emotionally, layered, jealous, and full of longing and expectations. They are more territorial than tribal. When you first bring them home, they assess the real estate.

With either dogs or cats, the greatest honor is trust from the animal. They rarely make a mistake. If they trust you, you are trustworthy. If people do well with animals, it reveals their character. If they don't, it does that too.

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
I'm intrigued by cat intelligence. When people compare human and cat intelligence, they entirely use human criteria, so of course the cats lose by a good bit.

However, the more time you spend around cats and the cats' world, inner and general, you begin to see how complex and intricate they are. Cat damage in human terms isn't damage to the cats at all; they are unaware of it.

Dogs are tribal, hierarchical in deference to the alpha, and often self-sacrificial; I still love and honor the dog of my childhood, an all-black Springer-Cocker Spaniel mix but with uncommon strength for its size. But cats are quite different, in some ways more like the solitary side of people.

I think cats are more like people emotionally, layered, jealous, and full of longing and expectations. They are more territorial than tribal. When you first bring them home, they assess the real estate.

With either dogs or cats, the greatest honor is trust from the animal. They rarely make a mistake. If they trust you, you are trustworthy. If people do well with animals, it reveals their character. If they don't, it does that too.
We've experienced all of this with our two cats, both have very unique personalities. Our cat Aki is playful and a goofball, but will get jealous when a lot of attention is paid to the other. Piper is very shy and leery of meeting new people, hides from thunder, but once you gain her trust she is the sweetest most cuddly thing is this world. And she's mouthy, emphatically tries to tell what she wants, which is mostly to open the window so she can hear and smell whats going on outside.

Cyxelsid

Starting to Get Obsessed
Well, yes, I also focused on my dogs in my previous posts... but I do have two cats. Since they are both indoor cats and I don't smoke indoors, they never get to experience me smoking... but here they are...

First up, we have a feline named Faline... my girls named her after a character in Bambi. Depending on if you read the book or saw the movie, she was either Bambi's sister or girlfriend. Of course in some parts of the country... oh, well, nevermind.

20180620_151729.jpg
20170917_120127.jpg20180712_003755.jpg

Next up is Kleatus... he was my wife's son's cat before we got married... then he came to us when my stepson moved into an apartment where cats were not allowed. Kleatus is very grumpy old man (not sure HOW old, but he is AT LEAST 15 years old), and he and I get along wonderfully.

20201217_174322.jpg
20210725_122333.jpg
20230915_151603.jpg