Cat Lovers...What's Your Favorite Kitty Litter? Dust Free, Low Tracking, Eliminates Odor...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonutLuvr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
Butler County, Ohio
I’ve been using Grreat Choice multi-cat or Maximum Strength, both clumping litters. It’s a PetSmart brand. Prior to that, I’ve used Tidy Cats clumping and a Crystal brand...

For the price and effectiveness, it seems to work the best for my two cats.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I will never understand the allure of keeping a box of cat crap in the house.
Why not just let the cats outside to do their business?

Reason one is because my cute little buddy (a former stray who took a shine to us) is a 4-legged serial killer that makes Hannibal Lecter look like a pussy. I answered persistent and loud knocking on the back door once to find out it was just my cat combining two of his passions: rat corpse handball and recreating abstract Jackson Pollock masterpieces in blood. Keeping vermin in check is one thing, but he’s...indiscriminate, will gleefully murder anything because it’s fun, and doesn’t eat 80% of what he whacks. This offends my sense of order.

Reason two is because we now live in a heavily forested subdivision full of deer and ticks and fleas and bitey things with the wrong number of eyes and especially legs. We also have coyotes, bald eagles, and other large raptors up here, all of which are HUGE and regularly snack on pets.

As much as I love my cat, I’m aware that he’s not the sharpest spoon in the drawer and would likely get in serious trouble or end up being a snack. So, once we moved up here, I took advantage of the territory change and little dude permanently became an inside cat.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Even if your cat or cats live part time outdoors, a litter box indoors is likely a good idea, so you won't be petitioned to let the cat(s) in or out -- as in, a cat is on the wrong side of every door. Indoor cats are a good idea, especially near streets and roads, and also because of communicable cat diseases like FIV and others. Even if a cat shows no signs of having been bitten, their teeth are like hypodermic needles and can give another cat a virus with no marks. I had a great orange tabby who looked like a cougar who suffered from FIV and died way too young, though he was good spirited and a good companion to the end. He never got beat up, but apparently he got bitten.

Reactions: NomadOrb and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I was not aware of that. I have been using it for 2 years with no problems. I will be sure to mention that in the future if I recommend it in the future. I would be devastated if one of my cats died after making the switch.
I mean most cats would be fine. It’s more of a problem if you have a cat that already eats everything or random shit. We have one that does stuff like that so we wouldn’t be able to use it. Just something to watch out for.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Same here, that's why I scoop twice a day. We live inside city limits and it's irresponsible to let the cat roam the neighborhood doing his business anywhere he feels like it.
This. It’s very unsafe for the cat. Hit by a car, killed by a dog, poisoned by an angry neighbor who got cat shit in their garden... the list goes on and on. If you get a cat, anyone, PLEASE keep it indoors only. It also makes other people’s indoor cats freak out and mark etc which then makes them euthanize or give up their cat because they can’t figure out why it won’t stop. So there are many many reasons.

lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
ooc5uMll.jpg

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
I guess that can make some sense for city slickers. I live on almost 2 acres out near the end of a one lane country road. The entire property is heavily fenced to keep bears out of the apple trees, deer out of the vegetable garden, and sasquatch out of the henhouse. Our cats go in and out whenever they please, sometimes staying out all night long. We've never had a problem and I'd feel like an asshole keeping them incarcerated indoors when there's so much fun to be had out in the wild. I guess there are risks to their health like getting a tic bite or being picked off by an eagle or whatever but those seem like silly reasons to keep them cooped up indoors. If I lived in a place where cars, neighbors, vicious dogs, etc. were a problem then I simply would not have a cat.

BTW - I had to cover my horseshoe pits with plywood to keep them from looking like that sand box photo. Now I have no idea where the cats go. Thank gawd ... cat turds suck.

Reactions: logs

LOREN

Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
When we had a cat, we would use any "new" clumping and odor control litter that came out, plus we had an electric rake-scooper-thingy that would run a couple a couple minutes after the cat used it. To me, it always smelled no matter what we tried. He was a very sweet cat, but after he passed, we never got another cat again.

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
blue-buffalo-naturally-fresh-multi-cat-litter-multi.jpg

It clumps pretty good and doesn't build up a stink. We have 3 cats. It tracks a little but it's dark brown little pellets so it doesn't look like distinctly like what you expect of kitty litter.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Reason one is because my cute little buddy (a former stray who took a shine to us) is a 4-legged serial killer that makes Hannibal Lecter look like a pussy. I answered persistent and loud knocking on the back door once to find out it was just my cat combining two of his passions: rat corpse handball and recreating abstract Jackson Pollock masterpieces in blood. Keeping vermin in check is one thing, but he’s...indiscriminate, will gleefully murder anything because it’s fun, and doesn’t eat 80% of what he whacks. This offends my sense of order.

Reason two is because we now live in a heavily forested subdivision full of deer and ticks and fleas and bitey things with the wrong number of eyes and especially legs. We also have coyotes, bald eagles, and other large raptors up here, all of which are HUGE and regularly snack on pets.

As much as I love my cat, I’m aware that he’s not the sharpest spoon in the drawer and would likely get in serious trouble or end up being a snack. So, once we moved up here, I took advantage of the territory change and little dude permanently became an inside cat.
:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Misanthrope
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA

We started doing this.. after our cat shit all over the floor around the litter box, for 2 or 3 days.. It was awful. Letting her out has worked well, she likes being a "dual purpose" cat.. she'll come let us know when she wants out, when she's done, she'll dart back in the next time the door opens.

Before this, we used Tidy Cats.

Reactions: kcghost

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
If you think pets can smell bad and cost a ton of money try having kids.

Oh yes...I'm aware of the cost of kids. I have a 28 year old, daughter, 2 grandkids which still doesn't seem possible for a young whipper-snapper like myself (lol), and, being a glutton for punishment, I acquired a 13 year-old step daughter.

Still though...coming home half...ok 3/4 tanked at 2 a.m. and discovering an alarming amount of diarrhea out of cream-colored Berber (shudder)...

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Coyotes, owls, skunks, porcupines, –30°, getting lost, getting hit by cars.

It worked at our last house where we had a fence. I don't find cat poop alluring. Next year. Next year we will have a fence.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Worlds Best Cat Litter lavender scent. It’s good shit we have 9 cats ? ?

I dislike any clay litter. Our old house (2 houses ago) when we moved out there was clay dust in everything. It was horrible. I haven’t noticed that at all with the worlds best. The clay litters have a much finer dust.
9 cats????

You're one of those crazy cat ladies!!!! Hahahah

I've had 3 at one point. We adopted one cause the wife wanted to. Then she had a friend getting rid of two, cause of their dog. So she needed to have them too. I didn't like cats at the time. Through the years, they became my cats, and then we ended up moving. Well one cat died from Lyme's disease, and the other two my wife gave away without my permission....how does that even work? I didn't want them to begin with, she needed to have them. She got sick of them, and I fell in love with them. And then she gave them away!!!

Back on topic however. The worst thing about cats, is brushing all the kitty litter off the bed every night....

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.