PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
hearth home is sold 14oz tub in usa - my duty would be at mortgage dollars rate so ...
i took a jar of the CH dried it on a plate for 8 hours to allow the " lubricant " to evaporate &

now replaced it into the jar with 2 rejuvenating moisture disks to remoisturize the ch.
hope it works - or will toss it & try again -this time to be sure it is loose not pouch.
that ch 2 years ago was great & bought some from time to time but this is first time it came from

a pouch . should have known - pouches are loaded with lubricant.
prince albert is sold here in toronto but not ch.

liked ch much better

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
i took a jar of the CH dried it on a plate for 8 hours to allow the " lubricant " to evaporate &

now replaced it into the jar with 2 rejuvenating moisture disks to remoisturize the ch.
Smokertruck, try microwaving the amount of one bowl on a small plate for 20-30 seconds on high setting to dry it and then smoke it immediately afterward. I didn't like the taste of CH so much straight out of a freshly opened tub, but since I started microwaving to dry it out, it's good stuff. Blends the added flavor with the nutty burley beautifully. I have to wonder why some people are saying CH has a 'chemical taste', because it has practically no casing and very little topping. I do admit that the fruity topping can be a bit overwhelming and artificial before proper drying, but even when I did smoke it before drying I didn't get a chemical taste. To me, a chemical flavor is something heavily cased like Captain Black that leaves a horrible aftertaste that takes 24 hours to get rid of.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
i dont have a mirowave but did air dry on a plate & now am moisturizing it with those disks .
as a point of interest i did oven bake at low heat a tin of erinmore flake & it was great mellowed out which i didnt need but brought out the fruitiness. others on this site have done it also so i tried it & great.
the ch from a few years ago had no ! chemical taste or aftertaste just great burley chocolate so i suspect it was true loose by weight rather than pouch.

put 2 disks in the jar to expedite the remoisturizing - will let you know the results - hopefully the chemicals evaporated.

stay in touch all !!

I'll never understand this need to rehydrate perfectly dry tobacco ready to be smoked. Adding water back to the blend, will increase the tongue burn with the steam. You might as well have not even dried it to begin with. Plus, the steam from the water removes (or waters down) the flavor. Some guys will prefer moist tobaccos, I know. But, I guess I'm just not meant to understand it.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
all right

- just noticed when i checked out a tobacco review site that it seems carter hall is sold only in the 14 oz container or 2 oz box with the pouch inside - so what did i get 2 years ago if the retailer sold it as "loose" - was it by weight back 2 years ago or did he also empty out the packet to sell by weight - if so that pouch was awesome great chocolate burley compared to what i have now chemical waste.- could be a bad batch - it was great 2 years ago.

smoked a bowl of "burley london blend" a great mac baron discontinued burley - i could taste the burley chocolate so it aint me with the chemical taste but the ch tobacco.

if it was from a pouch back then , likely the pouches are ok just this batch is bad - if it was over the counter back then but good what happened now ?

everyone who likes ch likes its burley chocolate same as i did so it should not have such a chemical taste
well i will wait a week then try my remoisturized version hoping the chemicals evaporated - i do prefer my tobacco slightly moist.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Chatham Manor has no humectants in it because I wanted to avoid any chemical flavor. The only thing added is the flavoring combination.
Russ

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
do any canadians get their carter hall from a canadian retailer ?? some usa retailers with ch do not deliver to canada.
& chatham manor from usa is 14 oz - they will kill me at the border duty.

prince albert 2 oz is 6 us$ +exchange 2 + shipping 4 =12 before duty + 3 maybe = 15 but in toronto it is 22 -25 including duty & tax but my hospitalization & medical is mostly govt paid - last year i cost our govt about 100,000 & it cost me only 100$ on my tax return.

hope trumpocare helps all you guys.
happy new year all usa & canadian pipe smokers.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
In the past I've said a lot of unkind things about CH, based on having smoked it many years ago. Recently however I bought a tub of it on a whim. Lo and behold, it has become my go-to. Smoke it straight out of the tub without any fussing or drying, it smokes cool and dry. I detect no chemical taste, and I've been smoking nothing but premium tinned blends for decades. The only OTC, if you can call it that, I've smoked recently is Amphora (red and brown, prefer the brown). I have to admit, if CH were the only blend left on the market I could happily smoke it to the end of my days.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
ok opened the jar & the tobacco is rehydrated - the sharp burn sensation is mostly diminished so the drying process evaporated the chemical lubricant but the tobacco still tasted terrible so it all will be garbagio.

my mac baron burley london blend i tried next using the same pipe to see if it is a chemical mouth issue but i could taste the great burley so i guess it proved that i am dealing with a bad batch of ch.
anyways ...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd go with Chatham Manor. The only non-aro in the Midtown series is Chestnut, and I have a tub and enjoy it in rotation. It's all tobacco and no guff at a reasonable price.

bosmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2017
Id like to try out Chatham Manor but don't want to commit to buying a whole tub. Are there any sites that sell in bulk?

Status
Not open for further replies.