PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
received some carter hall from packets -

had smoked carter hall a year or 2 ago as loose by weight was great ! so figured the packets would be good also -
HORRIBLE
if i smoked gasoline fumes it would taste better - this stuff even after 2 draws i have a chemical mouth full - horrible - will throw out the whole order - not interested in shipping it back across border or even making an issue of it - just didnt expect such a chemical taste & after taste -

anyone experienced this with the packets with all its chemicals to retain the moisture ??

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
That’s how all the American otc tobaccos taste to me! I wouldn’t smoke em with a 10 foot pipe. I love the British otc though, go figure.

You have to go outside and crank a lawnmower, pack a corn cob and... well, a chainsaw adds that 2-stroke aroma... either/or, or, a tractor, the diesel adds a nice chewy flavoring. Anyways, it's one that I love to smoke while working outside; the smell of fresh cut grass, fresh turned earth, or trampled wild onions along the field's edge. Plus, you can roll up a bag, throw it in the toolbox, and no matter how long it goes between tasks outside, it'll always be fresh. It has its merits.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
@smokertruck - I know everyone's chemical makeup is different and changes over time, but your two dances with Carter Hall were dramatically different and I don't know why.
I smoke CH from time to time and think it is a wonderful tobacco to smoke, especially late in the evenings. Carter Hall is probably one of the most impressive of all the "drug store" blends I have tried because it tastes like tobacco without fruity or ultra sweet casing, and has some strength to it. The Burley is top-shelf and provides a no-nonsense tobacco taste.
I find CH to be bite free and I doubt that even Thomas the Tank Engine could puff it up into the hot zone. It also has some kind of component that makes the ash adhere to the walls of your pipe, thus, aids the caking process and I often break in a new pipe with it.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I used to try to sway people to try it again, hoping they would like it a different time. But now... nah, that just means more for me.
I'm starting to enjoy the fact that people don't like it. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
People taste blends so differently, I wouldn't try to sell anyone on a particular codger blend, but I do believe most can find one or several they genuinely enjoy. These have been around so long for good reason. I still can't drag a particle of taste out of Sir Walter Raleigh Regular, but I recently discovered SWR Aro and enjoy it. Even with upscale blends, you can hit a season or tin that doesn't live up to its reputation, just luck of the draw. With most blends, it costs nothing to jar it, but the cost of the jar, and come back a year or five later. Iwan Ries Three Star Blue was a disappointment until I came back a few years later, and bingo, it was great. Maybe it dried out sufficiently, or maybe my taste had developed. It's an odd business.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
the original i smoked about 2 years ago was fantastic with that chocolate burley flavour - finished it within a week or two smoking 2-4 pipes per day - was for sure the loose by weight not in the pouch or removed from the pouch sold by weight.
will try again in a few months when i am sure it is the by weight not from pouches. - messed up the pipe also.

wasnsfisher

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry your not fond of it Mate. It is my staple! I enjoy it more than most other blends, but then again I'm a simple person to please. Keep tryin an you'll find your niche

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Ive been reading people talk about how great Chatham manor is for years. And finally Sable because of your post, I went to order a tub of it tonight. I put a tub in my cart, came back and it said there was nothing in my cart. So I re added a tub into my cart, and quickly selected check out. Looking at my bank account, it said it was double what I thought I paid for. Looked back at my e-mail and yeah, I ordered two tubs.
Darn the luck... :twisted: :puffy:

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
I get a metallic taste. Not a favorite but still better than Prince Albert.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Why not try Hearth & Home Chatham Manor? It's basically a Carter Hall clone, just made with slightly better grade components and none of the chemical additives that can give CH a nasty aftertaste.
Honestly, I've never tried Carter Hall but Chatham Manor is one of my go-to tobaccos when I don't know what to smoke.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Why not try Hearth & Home Chatham Manor? It's basically a Carter Hall clone, just made with slightly better grade components and none of the chemical additives that can give CH a nasty aftertaste.
I've yet to try CH, but it's interesting that some people get this horrible "chemical" taste and others don't.
Do we know this to be a fact that CH contains chemical additives that are not found in H&H? And if so, do all "OTC" blends contain these additives? Because I have tried PA and I get no such chemical taste from it.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I taste the chemicals, CH, too. Also, the flavor flashes off a little in the last quarter of the bowl, and you may get a cigarette note or two. None of that happens with Chatham Manor.

Status
Not open for further replies.