PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
apparently that's the issue- ch is sold as pouch or 14 oz tub - then apparently they empty the pouch & call it loose.
on a tobacco review site it lists as tub or pouch but not loose -
pouches normally have more " lubricant " but this batch tastes bad - nothing like even the prince albert choco taste.

again my ch a few years back was great but didnt order it since just bought p albert locally. it is cheap enough to be a par with usa shipment with cost, exchange, postage & duty.

Feb 9, 2018
Carter Hall is very good tobacco and a very good blend, I think some of these forums are bull because there is nothing wrong with this all American blend. That's why it has been a top seller for years and years if you truly got a funky batch contact the company. You would be shocked at how many premium high end pipe tobacco companies use chemicals including heavy pesticides lol funny stuff ;) tobacco and chemicals go hand in hand together like sugar and spice...

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
That's why it has been a top seller for years and years if you truly got a funky batch contact the company
I don't think it's a "top seller" because it's good. I think it's a top seller because there are a lot of old guard who've been smoking it for 30yrs and don't know any better. They don't really have any gumption to investigate the hobby and try other blends. Basically, they're a Pepsi guy; always have been always will be.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
They don't really have any gumption to investigate the hobby and try other blends.
That's just it, they're not hobbyists, they're pipe smokers. I myself would take CH over a lot of the highly praised "boutique" tobacco.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
There was so much talk on this forum about CH that I got very curious about it. A forum member from Ireland very graciously sent me a sample. I must admit that I found it very pleasant. It isn't my normal type of smoke (which tends to the Balkan) but it was nice enough in a fairly undemanding way. I can well understand why a lot of smokers are content to smoke it exclusively.
Mike

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
That's just it, they're not hobbyists, they're pipe smokers
Just my personal take, but I'd classify it as old guard approach versus new guard approach instead of hobbyist versus pipe smoker.
I know one guy locally who's in his mid 60s, so he's part of the "old guard", but he's constantly changing up what blend he smokes. At a meet up he could have an aromatic in one bowl and then load a Balkan blend in a different pipe right afterwards. He's very much one of the fewer "old guard" guys who took a "new guard" approach. I also know a few younger guys who only smoke their cobs and only smoke 1Q or Carter Hall in it a few times a day every day very much in the "old guard" style.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
And yet it's still around even as top tier blends and companies are disappearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.