PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidsaulmarshall

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 18, 2019
Cambridge, MA
Okay but at least try Opening Night before you write off C&D's Virginias--that's the best straight VA offering they have (and more interesting than Carolina red). It's in the same ballpark as a Dunhill-style VA or Capstan Blue; more bready than tangy. If the McClelland-style tang is the only thing you care about then Watch City is your best option. Both Simply Red and Rhythm & Blues are McClelland influenced.

Opening Night is great, but it can be awfully harsh when young! Doesn't keep me from cellaring about a pound of it in those big 8oz tubs. I've heard really, really good things about Simply Red and I'm aiming to buy a pound or two when it comes back in stock. That and Sutliff's 515RC-1.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I didn't have that problem with the tins of Opening Night I've had. In any case, Simply Red is the closest thing to the old 5100 red cake. Truthfully, I wouldn't bother with the Sutliff but maybe you'll like it.

Jun 23, 2019
I am skipping this too. I just can’t get into C&D Vapers and Virginias. I find them harsh and I don’t really enjoy them. I am aging the recent XX Dark flake to see if it improves but fresh I don’t enjoy it so I don’t think this I will like this.

Did you try the XX Flake? The addition of the orientals really smooths it out - smokes more like a creamy Va/Per instead of an oriental-forward blend.

It is boring and I find it bland. Maybe the McNiels were right that quality Virginia’s can no longer be abundantly sourced in the US market. I am no expert on the subject of vapers and virginias but so far the most enjoyable ones I have tried have been from European blenders.

Yea I didn't love the CRF either, but the XX Flake is the reason I'm intrigued by this release.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Is this the same Carolina Red Flake from the previous batch, just with perique? Or is it XX Flake Dark repackaged? It still sounds good but Im a little confused.

Last edited:
Reactions: ram74

davidsaulmarshall

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 18, 2019
Cambridge, MA
Is this the same Carolina Red Flake from the previous batch, just with perique? Or is it XX Flake Dark repackaged? It still sounds good but Im a little confused.

It almost surely isn't the 2015 batch. I remember Jeremy Reeves saying that the September/October release was the last from that crop and it appears that they've found a 2018 harvest that meets their standards. Interestingly, and I don't think anyone has picked up on this, the blend will consist of both stoved and unstoved Red Virginias. If I remember correctly, the original CRF was unstoved, so the addition of stoved VA will definitely alter the flavour profile. My best guess is that it is going to be a darker, more earthy/plummy XX Flake Dark.

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
Did you try the XX Flake? The addition of the orientals really smooths it out - smokes more like a creamy Va/Per instead of an oriental-forward blend.

Yea I didn't love the CRF either, but the XX Flake is the reason I'm intrigued by this release.
I did try the XX Flake and it is much smoother than the XX Dark Flake. I prefer it to Dark Flake and I thought is was ok, but I did not love it. It reminds me of Sunday Picnic, it has one flavor note that pops up every once in while that is cigarette like that I don’t enjoy. I get that same taste in GLP Cairo. I did notice not drying it diminishes that flavor. I jarred it up and will revisit it after a while. My rotation right now for vapers, vaors and virginias is Marlin Flake, Solani Virginia Flake, HU Edward G, Hu Flanagan, Blackwoods Flake, Salty Dogs and Peter Heinrich Golden Slice. I just don’t enjoy any of the offerings from C&D more than what I have in my rotation.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Can you tell us what they said verbatim?

Q: Carolina red flake w/perique...Just wondering, is this the same Red Flake that you issued a few months ago? I thought I read that was the last of that batch?

Reply:
Sorry but we do not have any Carolina Red flake 2 oz available.

Reply:
Q: I understand that. I was just wondering if that was the same red virginia use in the new red carolina with perique you have coming out in April.

It would have been from the very last batch

Reactions: davidsaulmarshall

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I wonder if any of this has been sent ahead of time to any of our illustrious reviewers, such as jiminks. It's likely this is right up my alley, especially since I loved the recent 20th anniversary blends. The only question is if I order 2 tins or more.

Reactions: JimInks

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Their 2nd VaPer with this old perique. The other was 5000 tins and this one is 10,000 so I may wait on the general consensus.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Great! I look forward to reading your thoughts. And may I say that as I’ve gotten into pipes more in the past year, your reviews have been immensely helpful in determining what to try next. Thank you, sir!
I thank you for the kind words, and am happy that my work has been helping you.

Reactions: ram74

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
If it was the 2015 crop they probably would have mentioned that. I spoke to Jeremy at the West Coast Pipe Show and he pretty much said that last year’s release was the last of it and they would have to switch over to something new.

As far as my personal opinion: I like the 2015 Carolina Red Flake a lot. At first, I thought it was plain and a waste of time, but then I tried it in my wide-chambered Barling and oh boy, I had found a great Virginia. If you have a tin, pick a good pipe and spend some time with it. I think it might grow on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.