New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
It says the Virginia is from 2018 or am I missing something?

This, from their Instagram post:

"Carolina tobacco straight from Carolina soil. Combining equal measures of stoved and unstoved red Virginias from 2018, Carolina Red Flake with Perique elevates that tradition even further by adding a generous portion of genuine St. James Perique from 2002. "

Reactions: rmpeeps

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
C&D used some of the Carolina reds in their Speakeasy Navy Blend. There is a stellar Virginia/Perique.

Reactions: Jwebb90

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
10 pounds of Elizabethan Match, 5 pounds of Rouxgaroux, and 30 tins of Doblone d'Oro are why I'm not jumping at the new C&D. Already have my quota of Virginia Periques.

How the heck did you get 5 pounds of this?? Just quick on the draw? Does WC sell you 5 lbs at a time?
I've been trying for months to get any at all.

Reactions: ram74

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
How the heck did you get 5 pounds of this?? Just quick on the draw? Does WC sell you 5 lbs at a time?
I've been trying for months to get any at all.
Rouxgaroux was in stock recently for 3 days. I missed it but it was posted on the forum. As usual I noticed the day after it was sold out.

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Rouxgaroux was in stock recently for 3 days. I missed it but it was posted on the forum. As usual I noticed the day after it was sold out.

Same. Watch City told me 1st or 2nd week of April, so even though I had been checking every other day on their site all year, once they told me that over the phone in mid-March, I stopped looking and was waiting for April. Not their fault, but dang I was bummed to find out it had dropped in March after all.

Regarding the actual topic of this thread though, I do like the standard Carolina Red Flake, but I'm probably going to skip this perique version. I just bought some of the Smoking Pipes XX Dark, haven't opened it yet but that satisfied my urges for now. I only smoke 2 bowls a day typically, so I have plenty of tobacco to last me.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Not really. Roughly 2500 lbs of tobacco in 3-4 releases over 3-4 years. Most mfrs have stocks of tobacco spanning a number years which allows for them to blend and maintain consistency of a blend over a number years.
Mac Baren has tobaccos that go back several decades.

Reactions: lightmybriar
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I have had this one sitting in the cart for some time and it sounds like I may need to finally pull the trigger. What stand out about this blend?

Speakeasy is a traditional Navy Flake, primarily VA with some Perique and DFK. And Rum. I found it a decent smoke but not great (just personal taste) and the Red Va do not shine through but are rather subdued, at least to me. It's worth buying, I'm not throwing mine away. But it is unlikely to creep into my top 25.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Speakeasy is a traditional Navy Flake, primarily VA with some Perique and DFK. And Rum. I found it a decent smoke but not great (just personal taste) and the Red Va do not shine through but are rather subdued, at least to me. It's worth buying, I'm not throwing mine away. But it is unlikely to creep into my top 25.

I haven’t even opened any of mine... I’ll probably get to it in a few years. Or sell it sometime down the road, or if I wake up someday and decide to swear off pipe smoking.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
Wouldn’t you prefer to smoke Salty Dogs in the Navy Flake\Plug category? If you have tried both how would they compare?

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Wouldn’t you prefer to smoke Salty Dogs in the Navy Flake\Plug category? If you have tried both how would they compare?
I have many of both cellared. The Dark Fired in SNB really sets them apart. The rum in SD is stronger and is sweeter than SNB. I prefer SNB out of the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.