PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
After thirty years and smoking most of C&D's library, there isn't a huge variation between blends of the same genre, so I have a pretty good idea. I'm not telling anyone not to buy it, so no negativity cast. Just sounds like you're looking for something to be offended by.

Just tired of seeing your negativity and photos of your cellar. You’re free to post that stuff, but I’m perplexed as to why you’re in denial.

Reactions: twoonefive

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Seemingly every time there’s a new release you talk about how you’re not going to get any, how well stocked up you are, and here you are saying it’s not going to be much different than other blends (which you don’t know). Not sure why you want to try to say this isn’t being negative when you clearly advertise your negativity every time someone posts about a new blend.

I kind of see what you're saying but I don't believe Embers is negative. He's just talkative.

Reactions: twoonefive

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
For me their recent Dark Flake is one of the best VaPers I have had. If this one is better then that it would be an impressive feat to me. I will try a tin first. Normally I would be all in based on the description.

Side note : I wonder if the new HH blends that were supposed to be coming out are on the back burner now? Anyone hear anything?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have some terrific Va and Va/Per in tins that I know I'd enjoy. I'm just so attached to burley, I always smoke that first or instead. I did thoroughly enjoy Russ O.'s Fire Storm, and C&D has me anyway with their library of burley blends, burley as base, condiments, and blessings. That's their strong suit, for me.

Reactions: davidsaulmarshall

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Some folks can smoke the same few blends and be more than happy. But for me variety is the spice of life. I look forward to grabbing some!
Decades ago I would have said the same thing. Now though, there's just not enough difference between similar blends in the same genre but my collection of different genres is quite varied. With the deeming rapidly approaching I picked a few favorites and cellared deeply.

Reactions: davidsaulmarshall

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
None for me.
I am skipping this too. I just can’t get into C&D Vapers and Virginias. I find them harsh and I don’t really enjoy them. I am aging the recent XX Dark flake to see if it improves but fresh I don’t enjoy it so I don’t think this I will like this.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
I agree. I lLOVE straight Virginias...all kinds but Carolina flake was boring. I have tins from every release and they’ve all been a bit boring.
It is boring and I find it bland. Maybe the McNiels were right that quality Virginia’s can no longer be abundantly sourced in the US market. I am no expert on the subject of vapers and virginias but so far the most enjoyable ones I have tried have been from European blenders.

davidsaulmarshall

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 18, 2019
Cambridge, MA
I am skipping this too. I just can’t get into C&D Vapers and Virginias. I find them harsh and I don’t really enjoy them. I am aging the recent XX Dark flake to see if it improves but fresh I don’t enjoy it so I don’t think this I will like this.

That's a real issue with C&D Virginias: they're far too young when blended. The leaf processing that McClelland was renowned for died with that company, and I'm afraid we won't know VA like theirs again. However, I hear a couple of years on a tin of Union Square (manufactured by C&D) does wonders, so there is hope yet!

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Okay but at least try Opening Night before you write off C&D's Virginias--that's the best straight VA offering they have (and more interesting than Carolina red). It's in the same ballpark as a Dunhill-style VA or Capstan Blue; more bready than tangy. If the McClelland-style tang is the only thing you care about then Watch City is your best option. Both Simply Red and Rhythm & Blues are McClelland influenced.

Status
Not open for further replies.