PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
When it comes to smoking in the car, imho one of the more important aspects is to always empty the ashtray. I find the cold ashes, cigar and cigarette butts more contaminating than the actual smoking.
This is absolutely true. Also leaving a pipe in the car can make it smell. I leave a cob in our Jeep and most the smell is from that.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
yAZg1.gif
I'm so one-channel hyper focused, I don't smoke when I drive. It's one pleasure or the other. And I'm not even a hot driver, very tepid in fact.
All the smoke from Tom’s car comes from the tires.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
I smoke in mine everyday on my lunch break at work and listen to an audio book.

I would recommend not worrying about it.

As far as resale, I work for a nationwide company in the auto industry buying cars from people every day and honestly, the year, mileage and mechanical condition have WAY more impact than smoke odor. Smoke odor has very little impact on trade in value.

They may say that it does when giving you a quote, but the offer would be the about the same even if there was no odor.

On the occasional time my wife has to use it, I spray down the interior with Febreze and stick an air freshener in there. It goes back in the trunk when I get my car back ?

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Don't many dealers do an ozone treatment? Does that not work to get 90% out?

In my experience it can help but it is still noticeable. Alot of it comes down to personal tolerances. A few years ago I had a rental I had to swap pout after only a few hours because of smoke odor. It gave me a headache, even though I obviously smoke my pipe on a daily basis.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I smoke in mine everyday on my lunch break at work and listen to an audio book.

I would recommend not worrying about it.

As far as resale, I work for a nationwide company in the auto industry buying cars from people every day and honestly, the year, mileage and mechanical condition have WAY more impact than smoke odor. Smoke odor has very little impact on trade in value.

They may say that it does when giving you a quote, but the offer would be the about the same even if there was no odor.

On the occasional time my wife has to use it, I spray down the interior with Febreze and stick an air freshener in there. It goes back in the trunk when I get my car back ?
I agree that year, mileage, and mechanical condition have an impact, but disagree that smoke odor has very little impact. Based on my own experience as a car enthusiast, family members and friends who work in the business, as well as many available studies- example: Smoking in your car can stub out £2,000 from its value | Carbuyer - https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/news/160476/smoking-in-your-car-can-stub-out-ps2000-from-its-value, odor certainly has an impact.

Reactions: BROBS