PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Technically a cologne is more than 90% alcohol, so you will not ruin the pipe, but it is better to use the salt method and cheapest.ñ and you are introducing the same

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
Reactions: Winnipeger

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I wonder if any of you so-called experts-slash-know-it-alls who are advising the OP NOT to spray cologne into his pipe have ever actually TRIED spraying cologne in your pipe. Well??? Have you??? Because if you have never even TRIED it, then where do you get off claiming to KNOW it's such a TERRIBLE idea? That's what I'd like to know. I don't think that's how knowledge works. So, whichsoever of you wisecracking weisenheimers speaks with the authority of ACTUAL EXPERIENCE, please stand up. The REST of you need to immediately grab a bottle of Drakkar Noir, Aqua Velva, or just some good old Old Spice if that's all you have handy, and head on down to your cellar — or wherever you store your best Dunhills and Preben Holms — pull one of your prized briars down off that rack and coat that chamber good. IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE PEOPLE! THEN you can report back here with honest, PROPERLY EMPIRICAL evidence.

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I wonder if any of you so-called experts-slash-know-it-alls who are advising the OP NOT to spray cologne into his pipe have ever actually TRIED spraying cologne in your pipe. Well??? Have you??? Because if you have never even TRIED it, then where do you get off claiming to KNOW it's such a TERRIBLE idea? That's what I'd like to know. I don't think that's how knowledge works. So, whichsoever of you wisecracking weisenheimers speaks with the authority of ACTUAL EXPERIENCE, please stand up. The REST of you need to immediately grab a bottle of Drakkar Noir, Aqua Velva, or just some good old Old Spice if that's all you have handy, and head on down to your cellar — or wherever you store your best Dunhills and Preben Holms — pull one of your prized briars down off that rack and coat that chamber good. IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE PEOPLE! THEN you can report back here with honest, PROPERLY EMPIRICAL evidence.
Incredibly all the fragrances (some are not colognes) mentioned in this post are over 40 years old. Seriously speaking, no perfume even remotely comes close to as invasive, enduring and strong as the sauce used in an Aromatic tobacco. The fragrances are designed not to stain clothing, not even a white shirt, and are mostly alcohol. The oils that are named are a generic name for perfume concentrate. Many of the notes that form this concentrate are also infusions in Alcohol. A perfume from the 80s, which could have fixatives of animal origin such as Beaver, Civet or Musk if possible that will last longer and even mark a pipe, but these components are no longer used.

Ha ha ha... I have no empirical evidence that sticking one's hand into the garbage disposal while it is running is either good or bad, but I will gladly watch as someone tries it. puffy

burleybreath

Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
GREAT THREAD!
After careful consideration, I have decided that I wouldn't go that far. Or even agree, for that matter.

But seriously [heh], if the problem is malodorous fumes rising from a recently used pipe, I'm surprised no one has mentioned a simple water flush. It does an excellent job of immediately neutering the stench of a stinky ol' pipe, with no ill effects that I can discern. I'm even using it on my meerschaums now--although not with warm water, because of the wax.

Full disclosure: I don't mind the "stench" of a well-used pipe. Actually, I like it. But eventually, gross is gross, and one must cede to some semblance of decency, or people will talk.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a simple water flush.
I'm pretty sure that the whole idea of cologne is for a whole subset of the population that doesn't like to bathe. Got BO? Splash a little of this or that on. "Water bad." " Fish live in it and still stink."

I'd rather just smell like soap and my pipe tobaccos than to smell like any men's perfume out there.

Reactions: burleybreath

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
Incredibly all the fragrances (some are not colognes) mentioned in this post are over 40 years old. Seriously speaking, no perfume even remotely comes close to as invasive, enduring and strong as the sauce used in an Aromatic tobacco. The fragrances are designed not to stain clothing, not even a white shirt, and are mostly alcohol. The oils that are named are a generic name for perfume concentrate. Many of the notes that form this concentrate are also infusions in Alcohol. A perfume from the 80s, which could have fixatives of animal origin such as Beaver, Civet or Musk if possible that will last longer and even mark a pipe, but these components are no longer used.
Make a YouTube channel, and post videos of you smoking your pipes after you've sprayed cologne in them. I'll like/subscribe. Hell, I might even commit to shooting you some cash on patreon. Sounds pretty entertaining.

• Haha
Reactions: aspiring_sage

Chaukisch

Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
You can do anything. The more important question is "should I?". And in this case you definitely should not.
I've heard of people using this cheap and fake lemon kind of stuff instead of cleaning liquids that were especially made for pipes. Actually I only ever heard it from that one YouTuber but he seems to have good success with that when it comes to nasty smells. He soaks a pipe cleaner with it and runs it through a couple of times, finishing with a dry pipe cleaner.

I wonder what the experts on this forum have to say about this?

ccf71dbf-b924-40c4-be60-5a70a29057fc_1.263042deb3c132bf25b530e927e532fa.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.