PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
john, have you ever smoked a Rad Davis pipe? I am curious as to why you think a Schulte smokes better. Is it construction, quality of briar? How many Schulte's do you own? I am always on the look out for a great pipe.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
js, if you go for the pete, make sure to call them and have them inspect the pipe. Ask them if it is drilled properly and if there are any fills. Also ask if the shank and stem fit perfectly.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I love the look of the ebony Pete's. IMHO go for a 314 or 312 though. The 317 is pretty small. Plus go with what Cigarmaster said. A fey guys here have had some issues with new Pete's lately.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
+1 rothnh
On SP they had, not too long ago, a couple of the black shiney Petes ( Cara ) as estates. The finish wear description included words like " some of the black has worn off" , "flaking" etc.
Personally I would NOT have a glossy pipe for a daily smoker .....

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I'd rather look at boring grain than shiny paint.
That being said, for some reason I can't fathom this shiny black finish seems to be VERY popular with rookie pipe smokers. Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but doesn't it seem like once a new pipe smoker introduces himself, within weeks he's posting pictures about a pipe with a "dress" finish?
This is not a judgement... just an observation.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
That being said, for some reason I can't fathom this shiny black finish seems to be VERY popular with rookie pipe smokers. Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but doesn't it seem like once a new pipe smoker introduces himself, within weeks he's posting pictures about a pipe with a "dress" finish?
I dont think it's a new smoker thing, I think it's more of a new fad than anything... Ive been smoking pipes for over 20 years and I havent really seen that many around until recently.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I owned a black Peterson spigot 999 shape a long time ago. I think was still working at the B&M at the time, so this was at least 14 years ago.
The thing that got me about the pipe is that it did smoke hotter than my others and the finish had a bad habit turning to a dull and really crappy looking black no matter how hard I tried to keep it polished. I gave up on it and traded it off at a hefty loss and reinvested in something else.
They look nice in pics, but I'll never bother with a black pipe again.
Just my one personal experience with them.

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
I would definitely recommend an ebony peterson such as the system or the killarney ebonys

kennyjo

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2012
I have not read all the replies.

If my reply is the same as someone else, please forgive me.
First of all, have you tried searching "bent dublin" on smokingpipes.com and pipesandcigars.com?

I think having more targets will be easier for the experts (not me) to help you.

All I know (according to the articles I have read), in your price range, Peterson and Savinelli are the brands that you cannot go wrong.

And I personally is a fan of Chacom.
Estate pipes are good choice too and you may find something you like from some reputed estate pipes sellers.
Another opinion will be meerschaum pipe.

And if you want detail about that, you can pm me.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
OK please understand as a father of teenagers I am going to give unsoliceted advice with the best of intentions. Sometimes when you get something in your head you want, its not always the best thing. I know my teenage sons go through this process multiple times per year. If your smoking your pipe because it looks cool, or you are looking for attention you will most certainly achieve those goals by purchasing a shiny black pipe. If you are truly smoking a pipe for the pleasure it gives, because you are an individual that is persuing a hobbie for the smoke, or the experiance then a black painted glossy pipe will not ever give you what you are looking for. It will burn hot, very hot, for someone new to pipe smoking this combined with a heavily cased aromatic could put you off pipe smoking all together. My I humbly suggest you take the $100.00 you would invest in the black pipe on a good quality estate pipe that will give you a sweet smoke for years to come. A good pipe and good quality tobacco will make a pipe smoker of you for years. A painted pipe with low quality tobacco will burn you and eventually the lack of pleasure in your smoke will put you off pipe smoking altogether. I have seen it happen many times. All the best in whatever you decide.

kennyjo

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2012
+1 piperl12
very nice point indeed....

I have heard people complaining about the black finish even for the Peterson Ebony.

They claimed that the black paint caused the wood of the pipe not able to "breath".

And I believe in that (from the experience of playing bass guitar).
One more thing.

Perhaps someone has mentioned that already, but don't spend too much on your first pipe.

There is a possibility that you do not like pipe smoking and you will loss a lot of money.

And that's another reason for buying a estate pipe.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I had one of the shiney, gloss red Petes, very nice to look at when it was new. Charred easier than hell & smoked hot & felt hot. It is shiney & red no more.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
kris, I have seen with my own eyes at my local b/m, poor drilling, many fills, stems that do not fit flush. I know there are plenty of Pete's that do not have these issues, but many do. It behooves anyone buying a Pete to ask many questions before purchasing.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
If your smoking your pipe because it looks cool, or you are looking for attention you will most certainly achieve those goals by purchasing a shiny black pipe.
as a former teenager, I can attest to thinking a lot of things looking cool on me, and finding out much later I looked like a moron.
As the father of a 17 year old, and very soon to be 18 year old, and almost everything he thinks is edgy, cutting edge, cool, hip, crunk, boss, and so on makes him look like a moron.

Status
Not open for further replies.