PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikebjrtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2012
Hurst TX
I was ?. Noticed all the commotion on the thread this morning.

Seems nowadays limited or special releases fly out the door in the blink of an eye.

More pre release hyping of the blends.

I hadn’t intended on buying any. I’ve got about 40 tins of 2019 SB in my cellar as it is. And well over 100 varieties of other blends in my cellar.

I became aware that there’s a lot of stuff that’ll probably never get smoked by me… so like stop the insanity already. And my wife’s constant reprimands of “What do need all that tobacco for….” over the past several years. ?
I woke up at 5 and it was already over. Oh well, you snooze you loose.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I got one can to try. The backstory was interesting enough for me to give it a try. I didn’t know the tobacco world did hypebeast drop style marketing too… ;)

I don't see how it was over hyped. The reality is, the Sun Bear series is very good and probably surpasses the hype. I don't consider it hype when the people who have smoked a considerable amount think it is very good. I'm smoking through the fourth tin since my first purchase in 19 right now and it just keeps getting better. That doesn't necessarily mean you'll love it.

Whiskey

Lurker
Jul 13, 2021
KCMO
I don't see how it was over hyped. The reality is, the Sun Bear series is very good and probably surpasses the hype. I don't consider it hype when the people who have smoked a considerable amount think it is very good. I'm smoking through the fourth tin since my first purchase in 19 right now and it just keeps getting better. That doesn't necessarily mean you'll love it.
Oh I don’t mean to say it was overhyped. I read about it, found the backstory engaging enough to try it. It’s a reference to how many other things (especially through Instagram and “influencers”) are sold in rare “drops” as opposed to just creating product and people being able to order/back order. More a joke on my part, I realize bees are only making honey when they can.

I have no idea if I’ll love it. I started smoking this month, and have only now started to be able to know if I like one of the 5 tobaccos more than another, and I can’t even describe why yet. Which is why I am happy to have got in on this drop

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Oh I don’t mean to say it was overhyped. I read about it, found the backstory engaging enough to try it. It’s a reference to how many other things (especially through Instagram and “influencers”) are sold in rare “drops” as opposed to just creating product and people being able to order/back order. More a joke on my part, I realize bees are only making honey when they can.

I have no idea if I’ll love it. I started smoking this month, and have only now started to be able to know if I like one of the 5 tobaccos more than another, and I can’t even describe why yet. Which is why I am happy to have got in on this drop
I don't believe they have the leaf, and especially the honey, to make this a regular offering. I like the small batch releases, seems like the majority of them are very, very good.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I think this is less about hype and more about people who want more Sun Bear.

By “hype” I meant to infer that it’s release was well promoted here before the actual date of release.

Given that more and more people have been showing up here in the past couple of years, it’s not surprising that all these releases are sold out in minutes.

I’m pretty much done buying tobacco…

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I don't believe they have the leaf, and especially the honey, to make this a regular offering. I like the small batch releases, seems like the majority of them are very, very good.
I concur. These small batch releases from C&D have all been outstanding. So what if I can't buy more of the same, I can buy the next small batch and it'll be just as good if not better than the last.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Perhaps I'm the odd man out, but these limited releases seem like Wooly Mammoth steaks. Doesn't matter how good it is if I can't purchase more. I'll not be chasing unicorns any more.

I know what you mean, which is why I treat these limited releases as "special occasion" blends and not as something I'm looking to add to my regular rotation.

I don't hunt every limited release, but the one's I do I enjoy the chase for. It's about the only excitement this old man habit brings me. Lol.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Several e-mails per retailer, multiple threads on any pipe forum, sells 10k tins in ~2hours with people buying 15 at a time...if that isn't modern hyper-consumerism, what is? I don't really care or have a problem with that at all - I signed up to receive all of the above communication, but it is what it is. ...also, that said, it lives up to its reputation as a great blend in my opinion as well; I could smoke it every day, easily.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I think if they took Bijou and sprinkled in a little of that elderflower/tequila sauce you essentially have "Sun bear". It's basically a Bijou aromatic