PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I doubt I’ll ever get to smoke all of my 500 or so Mcclelland tins. They were all bought before anyone had any idea they’d be going out of business. I just happened to think they made some fine blends
Please sir, mister, please...can you spare one tin of Beacon Extra for a poor suffering soul such as myself? ???

pandapiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2018
Postman just delivered mine. Wonderfully packed as always. It'll probably be some time before I try it though, already have with open blends to work through.

The XX Flake tin numbers are 1418, 1571 and 4667.

The Dark Flake is tin 2402.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
Please sir, mister, please...can you spare one tin of Beacon Extra for a poor suffering soul such as myself? ???
Postman just delivered mine. Wonderfully packed as always. It'll probably be some time before I try it though, already have with open blends to work through.

The XX Flake tin numbers are 1418, 1571 and 4667.

The Dark Flake is tin 2402.

Whimpy.png

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I'm looking forward to trying these. I have my favorites in blend styles and it will be interesting to see if these can compete. Hopefully not as I do enjoy sampling limited stuff but would hate for one to be what I really want instead of my regular choice.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
I just put up a quick review on the Dark Flake in the Reviews section!
I just read it. Great review, I enjoyed reading it. It sounds like it could be similar components as Opening Night but it doesn't look like it's treated with as much heat and pressure. It looks a little lighter and sounds like it in the way you describe the flavors. I've picked up that pine flavor in other C&D Blends and always attributed it to their naturalistic approach to curing and processing the tobacco.

Reactions: lightmybriar

Sonorisis

Dec 24, 2019
Just smoked some XX Flake. Smelled fruity in the tin. The smoke was dry, smooth, cool, slightly sweet, and of mild to medium strength. The first half of the bowl reminded me of a fruit pie baking in the oven kind of smell, and the last half was more like pie crust baking. Predominant taste was Red Virginia with a (slight) touch of Perique. The Orientals came on at the end of the smoke. Sort of one dimensional, with a slightly sweet, slightly fruity taste. Burned well, needing only one re-light to get to the bottom. Sam's Flake Lite came to my mind.

IMG_5317.JPG

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
Being an international customer sucks with the waiting game. Hopefully next week or so mine will arrive. Speaking the their limited editions did anyone ever try the gl Pease renaissance reserve? 500 tins made I think

Reactions: lightmybriar
Jun 23, 2019
My tins arrived this morning.

Having a bowl of the XX Dark Flake now after dinner; it's definitely a strong one. The 18-yo perique is the star here, not subtle at all but does have some a certain complexity.

As an Oriental freak I'm really excite to try to XX Flake now.

cohibajoe

Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
Just smoked some XX Flake. Smelled fruity in the tin. The smoke was dry, smooth, cool, slightly sweet, and of mild to medium strength. The first half of the bowl reminded me of a fruit pie baking in the oven kind of smell, and the last half was more like pie crust baking. Predominant taste was Red Virginia with a (slight) touch of Perique. The Orientals came on at the end of the smoke. Sort of one dimensional, with a slightly sweet, slightly fruity taste. Burned well, needing only one re-light to get to the bottom. Sam's Flake Lite came to my mind.

View attachment 21194
Nice review...I passed on these from C&D as I have 20 TIns of Carolina Red Flake. Plus I just ordered SG FVF and St. James 250gr boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.