PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
Andy, logic is on your side. This isn't about logic, however. Each manufacturer's "Virginia" needs its own approval. Anything that has its own SKU, or product number, needs its own application (with the exception of grandfathered items, provided they've had no changes.)
It's not hyperbole - it's how the regulations are written. I doubt they will stand as written, but that's how they are now.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Unless there's something I'm missing here, it's just no issue. I assembled my own "kit" years ago, and it expands with every new leaf or blend I buy. Mix 'em and tweak 'em and have a good time. I am not just doing hype when I say, some of the best smokes I've had have been one's I've concocted. Whenever I get a little jaded with even my best favorites, find them a little predictable or not as good as before, I add a little of this and that, and throw in a little blending 'baccy single-leaf, and the whole experience lights up like the first time. But I won't be buying anyone's prepared kit. Everything on the shelf, tinned, jarred, or bagged, is part of my kit. Puff-puff.

May 4, 2015
Yeah! One of my favorite things on my shelf is a this-and-that latakia blend with heaps of perique in it. Everyone should give it a shot!

Jan 8, 2013
Well I'll probably be getting the kit. I had been contemplating the idea of blending tobacco for some time before all this FDA BS (and that's what it is, the over reaching scum). And if the thought of blending for sale some day years in the future has gone straight down the toilet because of it, at least I can still do it for my own enjoyment and perhaps share a bit with visiting friends. The kit looks like it would be a great starter.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The answer is to overthrow your government. Most governments are parasitic; this is historical fact (although a bummer). Just like every mall gets skeezy, governments do. Time to open fire and change regime. Wish it weren't so.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Excellent idea! but I have a few questions
1. Will you be selling replacement parts for the kit such as the flavorings?

2. Why use a dropper bottle? A little spray bottle would give a much better even coating when applying the flavors.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I'm with DeathMetal, The US is the only country in the world that stated before it was created through the Declaration Of Independence, Take the Fuckers out when in doubt. Then they turned around and stated that gun ownership was God given, you are born with the right to arm and disarm the Tyrannical Government.
Now on to more important matters, because I could care less what a tyrannical Bureaucracy thinks it has a right to do. This kit is B.A. Is this a limited edition Small Batch or is the Small Batch angle A marketing tool? To me this looks to be a set that would cost up to $199, and maybe not a lot of folks will dip in. :clap:

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Look this FDA crap goes as far as Cornell and Diehl and others allow. I've said before and will say again. Time for businesses to hire private Protecetion Agencies. Former Navy Seals run these things quite often, and a business man needs to arm up to protect himself from the government's Big Titty that is trying to swallow him up.

jeremyreeves

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2015
Hey, guys! I wanted to pop in to give my 2 cents on the Small Batch Blending Kit, and speak to any confusion that might be lingering here.

We've been working on this idea for the better part of a year, as a cool idea for a Father's Day gift.

Neither inspiration for, nor timing of the release of the Blending Kit, was FDA related.
The blending components are all grandfathered as well as the flavorings, so no worries there.
Really, this Kit is a way for people at home, to expand their pipe journey in a cool way.

Thanks to all of you for your support and enthusiasm both for C&D and for the pipe hobby!!
Cheers!

Dec 24, 2012
What purpose do the gloves serve? Are these designed to allow you to take care of business should you get an erection during the blending process?

jeremyreeves

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2015
Peck, the gloves are so that the very concentrated flavorings don't stain your skin. Being esters, they will penetrate deeply and leave a lasting taste and smell on your hands for literally days.
I wear gloves when I am blending anything, flavored or not, because of nicotine absorption. But I am making 72lbs. of this and 25lbs. of that, day-in and day-out, so the gloves are pretty necessary for me.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Right on, Jeremy! Nice work.
What purpose do the gloves serve? Are these designed to allow you to take care of business should you get an erection during the blending process?
No. Think more like a proctology exam for those who get too anal over these matters. (Definitely not pointing fingers at anyone. Well, not at Jeremy or Peck, for sure.)

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Thanks Jeremy! Will there be a limited number of these produced or wil this Kit be widely available?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The blending components are all grandfathered as well as the flavorings, so no worries there.
Excellent news. The kit just looks like fun. Also probably a great gift item for pipe smokers, especially new ones, as they learn about the different types of leaf.

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
To echo Jeremy's comment, this has nothing at all to do with recent FDA announcements. Jeremy, Ted and I started kicking around this idea last summer and we've been working on it in earnest since late last year.
To clarify Jeremy's comment, the component tobaccos are grandfathered, but the kit will not be. It will need to go through SE when the time comes (and once we know what that process looks like).
Best,
Sykes

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Really all they have to do is provide a recipe on line and then just sell you the individual packages of the various tobaccos in the blend.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
This is a pretty neat idea and would make a perfect gift! I know I for one, would love to get something like this for Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.