PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
I figured something like this would happen. Just sell the components and include a recipe. Kind of like my grandma telling me he would buy grape juice during prohibition and the jar said don't then proceeded to list all the steps to make wine.

Jan 8, 2013
It's going to be like the prohibition, except instead of "moonshine" it's going to be "moonsmoke."
ahem... just for the record, let be known that I just coined the term "moonsmoke." ;)

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Good luck on your misguided decision to become a TOBACCO MANUFACTURER!!!
Each kit comes with a packet of documents for you and your attorney to fill out and register with the FDA. (What's that, you don't have an attorney? Better get one!)
Have fun!

May 4, 2015
Hate to be a buzzkill, but this would not get around the FDA regulations in any way. Each component or ingredient tobacco would still need to go through the deeming process.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Why would it not get around FDA regulations? Just get each component passed the required BS and there you have it, FDA approved.
People really seem to be blowing this whole thing out of proportion.
I think this is a great idea.

Jan 8, 2013
Hate to be a buzzkill, but this would not get around the FDA regulations in any way. Each component or ingredient tobacco would still need to go through the deeming process.
Why wouldn't it get past the FDA regulations? The regulations are on new "blends" after the grandfather date. Straight ingredient tobaccos would not apply. Nor would the flavorings. Those are just food grade flavorings, the same kind they use for making candy. It's not until mixed and the components become a blend that they would be under the new FDA regulations.
Good luck on your misguided decision to become a TOBACCO MANUFACTURER!!!
Each kit comes with a packet of documents for you and your attorney to fill out and register with the FDA. (What's that, you don't have an attorney? Better get one!)
Have fun!
I believe this is meant for home use not for mass production or sell. Unless you sell the tobacco you have blended, you wouldn't need to register it with the FDA.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Wow, as if I didn't like C&D enough. These guys are just too cool!!

May 4, 2015
I dunno. I'm not a lawyer or expert, but based on what I've read, a repackaged SKU has its own application through FDA. Even if the components themselves were approved, selling it as a separate item in different packaging would not fly.
That being said - yes, totally blown out of proportion, but that's how it reads and how it is if it stands as is (which I doubt).

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
My comments were of course an attempt at humor. But at the same time, it really wouldn't surprise me if that turned out to be the case. Those kinds of regs are intentionally written to be interpreted any way they choose.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Even if the components themselves were approved, selling it as a separate item in different packaging would not fly.
But if they pass each individual blending component, and sell them as such, all is good. We will be making the blend at home, away from the prying eyes of the FDA.
In fact, C&D could move away from blending the tobacco entirely, just sell the components (already approved through FDA regulations) with the recipe and we blend ourselves.

May 4, 2015
Agreed.
I'm just pointing out that the kit itself will have its own application for approval.
Wonder how many of C&D'S bulks they will be submitting for approval. As expensive as each will be, ya have to wonder.. Makes me sad.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
And: Star of the east, Billy Bud, Purple Cow, Autumn Evening, Habana Daydream, Black and Gold Maple, and Engine99 I'll be fine too :)

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I don't see how you would have to submit each tobacco for approval. Va is Va, it's been around since the 1600's or longer, so has burly, orientals, etc... I think this is being overthought and panicked hyperbowl. It's not like tobacco companies haven't got around regulations before by being creative. Such as the RYO "pipe cut" tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.