PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
After seeing a number of positive comments on C&D's Pegasus tobacco from Ray47 and others, I thought I'd give it a try. Wow, I really enjoyed it. I didn't expect from the description of the blend (3 burleys, 2 VA's and a little Black Cavendish) that it could be that exciting, but I guess it's one of those blends that really exceeds the sum of its parts. It is a Bob Runowski blend. Of course, it is out of stock at Smokingpipes currently although I see one other seller has it. I prefer it to Haunted Bookshop, which of course is another Runowski blend but very different.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
I'm surprised every time I see praise for Pegasus because I tossed my tin on the campfire after a miserable failure of an attempt to enjoy my first bowl. I think I'm just not a fan of burley dominated blends. Solani Aged Burley Flake does nothing for me either despite the fact that it seems to be well loved by many pipe smokers.
The only other tin I've ever burned alive immediately after the first taste was Molto Dolce. That stuff is seriously messed up....

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
I'm surprised every time I see praise for Pegasus because I tossed my tin on the campfire after a miserable failure of an attempt to enjoy my first bowl. I think I'm just not a fan of burley dominated blends. Solani Aged Burley Flake does nothing for me either despite the fact that it seems to be well loved by many pipe smokers.
The only other tin I've ever burned alive immediately after the first taste was Molto Dolce. That stuff is seriously messed up....

Just a matter of personal taste, I'm sure. I used to be solely English blends but I've really come to appreciate some Burley blends, especially those with Dark Fired Burley. That's part of why I was surprised by Pegasus because it has no Dark Fired to my knowledge.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I like Pegasus. It has a nice sidestream. I had to follow up my Granger with a bowl of Pegasus after seeing this post. I like it’s nic level. I like the taste and room note. It can be a tad harsh on retro. I mean just a tiny bit. But thats only because I retro on every puff as granger allows me to do so. I’m going to lead with a bowl of Pegasus to give it center stage. A nice revisit. Thanks for posting.

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
I actually mix one ounce of Captain Black Dark to four ounces of Pegasus. Man does it taste good, great nic-hit and a beautiful room note. The added black cavendish honestly effects the taste very minimal. It's actually for the room note.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
Pegasus has become a favorite of mine. I have a couple pounds stashed. I like it just fine fresh from the factory, but I also had a jar of it that I completely forgot about that ended up with a year of age on it, and it did seem a lot smoother. That could just be me getting better at smoking a pipe and having more experience with burley, though. Either way, it hits the spot when I don't know what I want.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I’ve got some tins and jars of Pegasus in the cellar. Lovely stuff. Another good one is Shandygaff. The only reason I bring it up is because I was smoking a lot of it around Thanksgiving and Christmas last year.

Reactions: RobNYC

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
Pegasus has become a favorite of mine. I have a couple pounds stashed. I like it just fine fresh from the factory, but I also had a jar of it that I completely forgot about that ended up with a year of age on it, and it did seem a lot smoother. That could just be me getting better at smoking a pipe and having more experience with burley, though. Either way, it hits the spot when I don't know what I want.
A pinch of black Cavendish will make it even smoother. Plus it make the room note awesome!

Reactions: RonB and tmcg81

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Nope you’re right. Pegasus is horrible shit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think I shifted from Pegasus to somewhat stronger blends by C&D, and they stole me away, like Billy Budd, Old Joe Krantz, Bayou Night, Tuggle Hall, Dark Burley, Big'n'Burley, and Stratfordshire. I'm just a burley junkie.