PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
While I have enjoyed Pegasus in the past; and, have 2 ounces on-hand for a few years now, I will enjoy a bowl, as part of my seldom breaks from chugging-away on PA all day long - so, I have no dog in the race over the Pegasus question.

However, I have a buddy who's main daily-bread smoke is Pegasus. I have been astounded how many times over the last couple of years, he has bitched incessantly to me about this blend being out-of-stock whenever his inventory-levels get to the point where he needs to consider putting in a multi-pound order again.

My question is:

Since Pegasus is not a fad-of-the-month type smoke; and, seems to be quite popular with some folks - and, for some time now - why then does not C&D simply produce more with each harvest in anticipating on-going and increasing customer demand?

Perhaps someone knowledgeable about how C&D determines it's production levels can shed some light on this question. - Sherm Natman

Reactions: f4phantomdriver

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
While I have enjoyed Pegasus in the past; and, have 2 ounces on-hand for a few years now, I will enjoy a bowl, as part of my seldom breaks from chugging-away on PA all day long - so, I have no dog in the race over the Pegasus question.

However, I have a buddy who's main daily-bread smoke is Pegasus. I have been astounded how many times over the last couple of years, he has bitched incessantly to me about this blend being out-of-stock whenever his inventory-levels get to the point where he needs to consider putting in a multi-pound order again.

My question is:

Since Pegasus is not a fad-of-the-month type smoke; and, seems to be quite popular with some folks - and, for some time now - why then does not C&D simply produce more with each harvest in anticipating on-going and increasing customer demand?

Perhaps someone knowledgeable about how C&D determines it's production levels can shed some light on this question. - Sherm Natman

SHERMIE !!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: shermnatman

My question is:

Not a one of us forum members is going to be able to accurately answer that. You might ask @jeremyreeves or send him a PM.

jeremyreeves

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2015

My question is:

I think that there is a lot more going on than may meet the eye for a consumer who is observing his favorite blend being out of stock at his store or online retailers. C&D definitely tracks our annual sales and regularly assesses increases, decreases and overall trends, in order to make the best decisions we can for the future. The future is notoriously unpredictable, so the best thing we can do is be intimately familiar with what has happened in the PAST. For several years, there have been slow upticks in the way that Pegasus has performed. Increases of say 5 - 10 lbs. year over year. This year, suddenly Pegasus Bulk is in Smokingpipes' Top 25 Best Sellers, the B&M retailers are ordering more volume, more often, and the product is flying off the shelves. We have made Pegasus 9 times this year where in years past we have made 4 or 5 batches through the year. Each time, the stock has lasted a much shorter time than it seemed like it should based on our past data points.

Add to this that one of the components of Pegasus is Cube Cut Burley, which is a component that requires several people, and a lot of time, production space and equipment utilization to produce, and the fact that while Pegasus is suddenly very popular, we must also produce enough Cube Cut to make Cube Cut Burley Bulk, Crooner, Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Krantz, and 35 other facings that call for Cube Cut Burley. Many of these blends have also grown in demand in the last few years. That means that if there is a backorder on Pegasus, or one of these other 38 facings, then we probably first need to make more Cube Cut.... We would essentially have to shut down all other operations for 3-4 weeks in order to make enough Cube Cut for the year's projected useage, but doing so would risk putting many of our other facings in backorder. It is a constant balancing act to meet our increasing demand across our product facings and keeping stock quantities where they need to be. Overall, our backorder list is pretty short with the vast majority of our blends remaining in constant stock, or out for only a short time. Blends that call for Cube Cut Burley are just much more involved and present bigger obstacles from a manufacturing standpoint.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
How good is that, to get a detailed answer straight from the manufacturer.

And yes, coincidentally I'm hoping to score some Kelly's Coin on my next order - going down the Burley rabbit hole (albeit at a snails pace)
and have seen this one mentioned in the WAYS thread here and there.

Enablers the lot of you..

Don't change.

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
I think I shifted from Pegasus to somewhat stronger blends by C&D, and they stole me away, like Billy Budd, Old Joe Krantz, Bayou Night, Tuggle Hall, Dark Burley, Big'n'Burley, and Stratfordshire. I'm just a burley junkie.
OJK smells very cigarettey to me. I've been wanting to try Billy Budd though. Doesn't that have cigar leaf in it?

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
I added 4 ounces to a recent order to reach min free shipping amount. That's how I will build up the cellar on this blend. Good enough to have a few pound, not good enough to warrant a big, dedicated purchase.
I get 8 ounces at a time and a tub of Captain Black Dark. I mix some of the tub with Pegasus and jar them in mason jars. That is how I'm building my cellar. The "sweetened" black cavendish just makes this blend epic! You don't have to add a lot. It sweetens the tobacco just a tad, but it makes the room note unbelievably delicious..

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Ocam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2020
Spain
OJK smells very cigarettey to me. I've been wanting to try Billy Budd though. Doesn't that have cigar leaf in it?
Billy Budd original has burley with cigar leaf and latakia. It's a great blend but you should enjoy big quantities of Latakia; so it wasn't for me. Billy Budd Blond though is a vaper with a little burley and a little cigar leaf, and it was delicious to me.

Reactions: f4phantomdriver

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I get 8 ounces at a time and a tub of Captain Black Dark. I mix some of the tub with Pegasus and jar them in mason jars. That is how I'm building my cellar. The "sweetened" black cavendish just makes this blend epic! You don't have to add a lot. It sweetens the tobacco just a tad, but it makes the room note unbelievably delicious..
Bob just rolled over in his grave. I love the gentle sweetness that weaves in and out of Pegasus. One reviewer said “a ginger snap sweetness” The interplay is masterful and I can’t wait to see what significant aging does to it. I like it just the way it is. — I may at times seem very opinionated, but that’s only because… I am. In my view, a master blender of tobacco equates to a maker of fine whisky or whiskey whom spends years getting it just right… then ships it off to the consumer who promptly pours in half a can of Coca-Cola.

Of course, the consumer paid for it and therefore can do anything he wishes. Smoke what you like the way you like. But I’d jar it as is and experiment bowl by bowl. In the future, where your tastes may change, you may regret jarring up a top blend like Pegasus with vanilla cavendish.

But… I smoke burley scraps. ??

Welcome to the forum, F4

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
Bob just rolled over in his grave. I love the gentle sweetness that weaves in and out of Pegasus. One reviewer said “a ginger snap sweetness” The interplay is masterful and I can’t wait to see what significant aging does to it. I like it just the way it is. — I may at times seem very opinionated, but that’s only because… I am. In my view, a master blender of tobacco equates to a maker of fine whisky or whiskey whom spends years getting it just right… then ships it off to the consumer who promptly pours in half a can of Coca-Cola.

Of course, the consumer paid for it and therefore can do anything he wishes. Smoke what you like the way you like. But I’d jar it as is and experiment bowl by bowl. In the future, where your tastes may change, you may regret jarring up a top blend like Pegasus with vanilla cavendish.

But… I smoke burley scraps. ??

Welcome to the forum, F4
I actually love it the way I added the black cavendish. I don't think my tastes will change that much this late in the game lol. I am ordering another pound to cellar anyway unadulterated. My all day blend is Prince Albert and I like and have a good amount of tubs of Captain Black. Pegasus with a little CB Dark gives me the best of both worlds, a burley with a little aro in the mix. I don't know I'm weird, I smoke PA, I like Captain Black, but after supper I smoke strong Gawith Hoggarth blends LOL. I'm all over the place with pipe tobacco. I don't like English or Balkan blends yuck!

Reactions: Grangerous