PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I actually love it the way I added the black cavendish. I don't think my tastes will change that much this late in the game lol. I am ordering another pound to cellar anyway unadulterated. My all day blend is Prince Albert and I like and have a good amount of tubs of Captain Black. Pegasus with a little CB Dark gives me the best of both worlds, a burley with a little aro in the mix. I don't know I'm weird, I smoke PA, I like Captain Black, but after supper I smoke strong Gawith Hoggarth blends LOL. I'm all over the place with pipe tobacco. I don't like English or Balkan blends yuck!

Hi F4
I was keying in on only one sentence. — When in your original post you’d said, “That’s the way I’m building my cellar.”

I have six pounds of Pegasus jarred and If I’d mixed it with Captain Black I might have serious future regret. It would destroy any resale or trade value as well.
5258DFE3-7A8F-41F0-ABEA-726450FA27E7.jpeg
I only suggested going at it bowl by bowl. Sorry if that came off strongly.

I’m quite the fan of Pegasus and am quite the opposite of “all over the map”. Of course you know what you like. Have a great New Year, F4 and welcome!

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Well, I've waited a month to get my Pegasus order from the US to my pipe's down under...

Glad I ordered a pound - have plenty for my needs to age and smoke, quite easily a daily smoke if I desired.
To my tastes it's a nice, stout burley forward blend with a great retrohale complimented by the Virginia and gives me a medium nicotine hit (to me that is).
Has a faint touch of spice, and every now and then it gives me a cigarish note which I love.

Cheers guys, look forward to trying more from Cornell and Diehl as this is my first blend from them.

I can see some Burley Flakes in my future orders!

Edit: If my Father or Grandfather smoked a pipe as a kid, this is what I'd imagine it would smell like.
A great, old school, no nonsense room note and flavour : kinda working man's smoke if you know what I mean.

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
While I have enjoyed Pegasus in the past; and, have 2 ounces on-hand for a few years now, I will enjoy a bowl, as part of my seldom breaks from chugging-away on PA all day long - so, I have no dog in the race over the Pegasus question.

However, I have a buddy who's main daily-bread smoke is Pegasus. I have been astounded how many times over the last couple of years, he has bitched incessantly to me about this blend being out-of-stock whenever his inventory-levels get to the point where he needs to consider putting in a multi-pound order again.

My question is:

Since Pegasus is not a fad-of-the-month type smoke; and, seems to be quite popular with some folks - and, for some time now - why then does not C&D simply produce more with each harvest in anticipating on-going and increasing customer demand?

Perhaps someone knowledgeable about how C&D determines it's production levels can shed some light on this question. - Sherm Natman
Hello Sir, I glad I'm not the only PA smoker here! It's been my all day smoke for a couple years now. When I smoke a bowl before bed it used to be Captain Black original but it wasn't satisfying my nicotine itch. I like a sweet aromatic with my tea at night, so that's when I started with experimenting with Pegasus and black cavendish. I also like strong Lakelands at night too. But during the day, it PA,,,,,,,,,all the way! LOL

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
Hi F4
I was keying in on only one sentence. — When in your original post you’d said, “That’s the way I’m building my cellar.”

I have six pounds of Pegasus jarred and If I’d mixed it with Captain Black I might have serious future regret. It would destroy any resale or trade value as well.
View attachment 118133
I only suggested going at it bowl by bowl. Sorry if that came off strongly.

I’m quite the fan of Pegasus and am quite the opposite of “all over the map”. Of course you know what you like. Have a great New Year, F4 and welcome!
No sir, you did not come off strongly. I can respect your love for Pegasus. I'm the same way with Prince Albert. When I hear people mixing other tobaccos with PA I cringe. But I guess we smoke what we like. I can appreciate your opinion on not adding CBD to ALL of my Pegasus. I ordered a pound with my last order and that will be jarred by itself. I just of worded my post wrong. I meant that I'm building my cellar by making my own blends as well as stocking up on pre made blends.

Reactions: Grangerous

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
No sir, you did not come off strongly. I can respect your love for Pegasus. I'm the same way with Prince Albert. When I hear people mixing other tobaccos with PA I cringe. But I guess we smoke what we like. I can appreciate your opinion on not adding CBD to ALL of my Pegasus. I ordered a pound with my last order and that will be jarred by itself. I just of worded my post wrong. I meant that I'm building my cellar by making my own blends as well as stocking up on pre made blends.
My good forum friend @shermnatman is an all day Prince Albert devotee —So I’m sure you weathered the scare as he did!

I hear people say the Granger makes a good blending tobacco. I don’t agree at all with that. We definitely get set in our ways.

Reactions: shermnatman

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
Bob just rolled over in his grave. I love the gentle sweetness that weaves in and out of Pegasus. One reviewer said “a ginger snap sweetness” The interplay is masterful and I can’t wait to see what significant aging does to it. I like it just the way it is. — I may at times seem very opinionated, but that’s only because… I am. In my view, a master blender of tobacco equates to a maker of fine whisky or whiskey whom spends years getting it just right… then ships it off to the consumer who promptly pours in half a can of Coca-Cola.

Of course, the consumer paid for it and therefore can do anything he wishes. Smoke what you like the way you like. But I’d jar it as is and experiment bowl by bowl. In the future, where your tastes may change, you may regret jarring up a top blend like Pegasus with vanilla cavendish.

But… I smoke burley scraps. ??

Welcome to the forum, F4
Sir, you were right , you were SO right. I actually love Pegasus now without the vanilla black Cavendish added. You told me and I didn't listen. I had to order another pound because I want it without anything in it. I smoked up my last unadulterated batch and now I'm waiting at the door like a dog waiting for a bone for the UPS guy. Oh well, I guess you live and learn.

Reactions: Brendan

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
After seeing a number of positive comments on C&D's Pegasus tobacco from Ray47 and others, I thought I'd give it a try. Wow, I really enjoyed it. I didn't expect from the description of the blend (3 burleys, 2 VA's and a little Black Cavendish) that it could be that exciting, but I guess it's one of those blends that really exceeds the sum of its parts. It is a Bob Runowski blend. Of course, it is out of stock at Smokingpipes currently although I see one other seller has it. I prefer it to Haunted Bookshop, which of course is another Runowski blend but very different.
It's even better after it's aired out a bit , if I get the bulk I fluff it up and jar it for even 4-6 weeks and it really opens up, out of the tin it comes to life much quicker.

Reactions: BenMN