PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
That's crappy of them, sort to hear that. I have never seen a patent Dunhill with a Cumberland stem before?!
Me either… brindle stem.

I sold one and someone chimed in that the Cumberland didn’t come out til 80s and I need to edit the listing that it had a replacement stem. Luckily the folks here educated me, and in turn him that the stem was described as Brindle way back when… and was original.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Me either… brindle stem.

I sold one and someone chimed in that the Cumberland didn’t come out til 80s and I need to edit the listing that it had a replacement stem. Luckily the folks here educated me, and in turn him that the stem was described as Brindle way back when… and was original.
Good to know, I thought brindle was the same as Cumberland.

Also, its nice to give us a heads up not to fall for their trap but I wouldn't give them any publicity...

Reactions: DangerStranger

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Do you really mean that a dissatisfied buyer can't leave negative feedback anymore? For a seller to cancel an auction for poor profit takes away the entire premise of an auction, the results of which he is bound to accept. Sellers are very afraid of negative feedback. I'd nail his ass.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Me either… brindle stem.

In the 1930s, Dunhill put brindle stems on their Root Briars. The actual “Cumberland” series, which featured a brindle stem, started in 1978-1979, and because of this line of pipes, brindle and Cumberland became synonymous.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I see the seller still has 100% positive feedback. Will ebay not let you leave negative feedback?

If it is true the seller is trying to get out of the deal because he feels the pipe sold for too little that is 100% his fault and problem. Ebay has a reserve system in place for sellers to get at least what they think should be a minimum. If the seller doesn't want to use the system they need to start their bids higher or run the risk of getting less than they want. It's entirely on them.

I buy a lot of stuff on ebay and yes I look at seller ratings and reviews before buying.