PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Just a heads up, fellow pipesmokers!

This morning I won an auction on eBay for a beautiful 1937 Dunhill billiard. I was astounded to see that the auction ended at $26.00 with free shipping.

The pipe was in excellent condition and the photos were fantastic. Every detail, including all the nomenclature, could be seen.

A little bit after sending my payment, I received a notice that my order was cancelled.

I wrote the seller (leftturnvintage) asking why the order was cancelled. They explained that the pipe “had a defective part attached to the pipe that was not mentioned in the listing.”

I responded by saying that I repair pipes for a hobby and would be perfectly happy receiving the pipe anyway.

After a lot of back and forth and with no clarification from the seller, our communication ended with him telling me that he is perfectly within eBay’s policy to cancel the order because the pipe had a defective addition.

It seems clear to me that the seller was just unsatisfied with the final bid and did not want to sell the pipe to me at that price.

Leftturnvintage has several other nice pipes for sale at the moment, so if you take a chance bidding on any of them, just be aware that your purchase may be cancelled if the price doesn’t satisfy the seller.

What a bummer!

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Just a heads up, fellow pipesmokers!

This morning I won an auction on eBay for a beautiful 1937 Dunhill billiard. I was astounded to see that the auction ended at $26.00 with free shipping.

The pipe was in excellent condition and the photos were fantastic. Every detail, including all the nomenclature, could be seen.

A little bit after sending my payment, I received a notice that my order was cancelled.

I wrote the seller (leftturnvintage) asking why the order was cancelled. They explained that the pipe “had a defective part attached to the pipe that was not mentioned in the listing.”

I responded by saying that I repair pipes for a hobby and would be perfectly happy receiving the pipe anyway.

After a lot of back and forth and with no clarification from the seller, our communication ended with him telling me that he is perfectly within eBay’s policy to cancel the order because the pipe had a defective addition.

It seems clear to me that the seller was just unsatisfied with the final bid and did not want to sell the pipe to me at that price.

Leftturnvintage has several other nice pipes for sale at the moment, so if you take a chance bidding on any of them, just be aware that your purchase may be cancelled if the price doesn’t satisfy the seller.

What a bummer!
Do you have option to leave a negative feedback - lately like for 4-6 months ebay has gone from atrocious to beyond miserable- I rarely even look at ebay- I haven't sold on ebay since either.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I would contact eBay and tell that you won the auction and would like to follow through on the purchase regardless of the unnamed “defect” stated by the seller, and that you believe the seller is using this as an excuse to get out of a low bid win. See what they say.
This is what I did. I received an automated response telling me that they aren’t allowed to tell me of the outcome haha. ??‍♂️