PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Coconut oil has more saturated fat than butter. That shit will kill you.

I use it in a few recipes, but only when I don't mind giving my heart a good kick in the valve.
You must not understand how cholesterol works. ? Saturated fat won’t kill you.

Reactions: wyfbane
6 pages about butter on a pipe forum... and nobody went right for the lard? None of that fake Crisco crap for me.

Really though, check out your local imported foods place and try some ghee. It is a clarified butter that has a higher smoke point, which means you can fry in it also. It also has a lot of healthy properties that aren't found in regular butter. But really, who cares about how healthy your grease is? But, it tastes great, and works better than butter, especially in Southern cooking.

You can make it also, very easy.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
6 pages about butter on a pipe forum... and nobody went right for the lard? None of that fake Crisco crap for me.

Really though, check out your local imported foods place and try some ghee. It is a clarified butter that has a higher smoke point, which means you can fry in it also. It also has a lot of healthy properties that aren't found in regular butter. But really, who cares about how healthy your grease is? But, it tastes great, and works better than butter, especially in Southern cooking.

You can make it also, very easy.
Use it often. Works/tastes great for a lot of things, but some things need butter.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
miyokos_european_style_salted_butter_800x.png
My wife uses this due to a dairy allergy, and it's pretty solid, even for a meat eater. Too expensive for the rest of us.

The kids and I prefer Kerry Gold, then Challenge Butter. Pretty sure if we could buy Amish butter for $8/lb we'd buy nothing else! We had some ice cream at an Amish Creamery in Lancaster, PA, and it was the best I've ever had. And we are picky.

Margarine is straight up chemicals and it's awful.

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife is a big proponent of nice white lard from free range pigs, respectable pigs as she calls them. I trooped out with her to a free range pig farm and we beheld a sow in a nest she had made that had just given birth to a brood of piglets. We were warned to be quiet and to move slowly. The farmer had gone to a special curriculum in sustainable farming and had a good business going. Other pigs charged around us foraging, but left the new mom alone.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I don’t even know where to start. I thought this was such a great place filled with people who were dignified and honorable and then I stumble upon this dumpster fire of blasphemy.

Margarine was created in the early 1400’s to identify the subhuman filth among us. Some ~600 years later, it apparently still works. Butter, mind you, was a gift to humanity from Teddy Roosevelt in 1997.

Crunchy peanut butter was the product of a toothless gentleman with a peanut addiction searching for a way to carry out his days without losing his sole vice. Enlisting the services of a young relative to pre-chew his nuts, he discovered a means by which he could still enjoy these delicious goobers until the day he died. Unable to keep up, an army of goats, indigenous to Jakarta, picked up the slack. They’re still pumping that shit out to this day under various labels. Creamy peanut butter, however, was the result of a terrible accident. A truck carrying several tons of peanuts was in an accident, rolling over and spilling its contents just outside the fence of a Jimi Hendrix concert, one that a group angels was coincidentally casting their angelic glow upon. The intersection of the otherworldly music coming from the guitar paired with the brilliance from above met squarely in the epicenter of the peanut catastrophe. The result of this combination literally melted the peanuts into the delicious, heavenly, Jimi Hendrix-y awesomeness that they are today.

In summary, I’d choose a post-mortem gift from one of the greatest presidents this nation has ever seen, along with a spontaneously created product of upside-down left-handed angel sauce.

But if you want to be subhuman filth that eats pre-chewed nuts from Indonesian goats, that’s all on you.

I’m lookin at you, @didimauw.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
My wife uses this due to a dairy allergy, and it's pretty solid, even for a meat eater. Too expensive for the rest of us.

The kids and I prefer Kerry Gold, then Challenge Butter. Pretty sure if we could buy Amish butter for $8/lb we'd buy nothing else! We had some ice cream at an Amish Creamery in Lancaster, PA, and it was the best I've ever had. And we are picky.

Margarine is straight up chemicals and it's awful.
I agree about margarine. Also it’s still a dairy product so if you eat that just eat the real thing.

see! Someone agrees that the miyokos is good! I’m not making the shit up! Lol

I agree about margarine. Also it’s still a dairy product so if you eat that just eat the real thing.

see! Someone agrees that the miyokos is good! I’m not making the shit up! Lol
If you like margarine, that's fine... but it is as close as powdered creamer is to dairy. Put a tub of margarine and a tub of butter in your yard for a few days. The bugs will not touch the margarine, and it will never turn. It just stays like it is when you buy it. Butter will all be gone as the bugs just eat that stuff up. It's really not even a food. Closer to an industrial lubricant.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
If you like margarine, that's fine... but it is as close as powdered creamer is to dairy. Put a tub of margarine and a tub of butter in your yard for a few days. The bugs will not touch the margarine, and it will never turn. It just stays like it is when you buy it. Butter will all be gone as the bugs just eat that stuff up. It's really not even a food. Closer to an industrial lubricant.

I can't eat Margarine. I'd rather have 1/4 portion of real butter than a full pat of margarine.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I understand the appeal of many of the butters mentioned here but I prefer fresh, unsalted, sweet cream (*read uncultured) butter. Anything else and I have to start adjusting recipes (more so for salted than cultured) which is annoying.

*The above qualifier is that all butter is likely cultured, even if only minutely, due to naturally occurring bacteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.