PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Never heard of it for tobacco but I have read about if for the wacky backy stuff. :)
That is correct.
Burping is done as part of the drying and curing process to allow the cannabinoids to develop fully.
The main purpose of burping [to my understanding] is to mainly allow the escape of any excess moisture.

Tobacco on the other hand, needs to be at a suitable case [moisture level] before it's jarred, negating any need to burp.
It's probably already been said but from what I've read, tobacco that's been jarred to age should not be opened until ones ready to smoke it.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I will say, I’ve had quite a few blends, that once I opened the tin, and placed them in the jar, then like a few days to a week later opened the jars, a lot of these blends were quite stinky bad.

So then, I’d regularly open them once a week for a minute, gently shaking the jars up and down, to tumble the tobacco around and then seal them back.

After doing this a few times, now months later, when I open a jar to smoke one of these blends, they all smell really nice.

So, I fell like there could be some blends, that you need to air them a little like this before they settle.

hmm 🤔

Reactions: Coreios

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
There was some discussion earlier about expanding tins. Yes my Rattray's tins and many of my C&D and G.L. Pease tins have inflated from the internal pressure of farting tobacco gremlins. I thought some people might find it interesting that I do have ONE McClelland tin that has also inflated. It happens to be an Aromatic: Master Penman. I'll refraining from interpreting the possible implications of this finding. Peace out y'all.

Reactions: TexJake and Coreios

TexJake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2022
Hill Country, TX
I’m operating under the guidance of what some of the more experienced have told me - keep ‘em sealed until ready. The only point at which I differ is similar to what @PipeIT mentioned above - some blends seem to benefit from some “breathing” right after opening the tin, but that happens pretty naturally when I open a tin, transfer the contents after first bowl, and come back at whatever point for more. For the jarred blends that I’m actively smoking, if I open the jar and notice that the aroma has changed or become weird, then I’ll either just pay attention to whether the taste has changed also, or just fluff it around and put the lid back on to come back another day. For the ones that I’m not smoking, they just sit in the back waiting, I pay absolutely no mind to them.

Reactions: PipeIT and Coreios

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I feel the need to point out that my original post in this thread contains a major typo. I meant to say "Canning jars with snap lids allow gasses to escape which decreases the internal pressure." NOT "increases." I stand by that. The snap lids suction themselves in place. The reason you might want to "burp" a jar in the case of traditional ferments is to keep it from potentially exploding. That's not an issue with tobacco.

Reactions: TexJake and Coreios