PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Rule 10 is frequently violated by a certain member. Too bad that one isn't enforced anymore either. :(

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Rule ten is a toughie to enforce I think. It calls for some very careful parsing, interpreting and subjective reasoning by the mods. This is the one rule which probably causes mods a lot of heartburn. I'm betting this rule generates a lot of PMs asking for intent, asking the poster to "dial it back," and maybe a "one more and you are outta here" message.
The rule basically asks us to be civil to each other. The line is easily and often unintentionally crossed because it is so hard to discern. Civility is a standard which varies by region, neighborhood, up bringing, social status, etc. Also, some members are extremely thin skinned and easily offended.
Because I am, by nature, outspoken I must exercise care and restrain myself from sometimes writing what first comes to mind if a post causes a laugh, pushes a hot button, or inspires the need to argue a point. Some members simply lack self-restraint.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Warren:
You wrote: "Some members simply lack self-restraint."
LMAO.....
Writes the man whose signature line states, "A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient."
My dad told my brothers and me to always keep a baseball bat handy. "It's an equalizer, boys. Just to level the playing field."
You are, by far, one of the most interesting people on this forum.
I always enjoy your posts, Sir.
Fnord

Mar 30, 2014
wv
It would be nice if the forum rules were prominently displayed. I've never read them before. I use the do unto others rule. So far so good.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I bet that everyone who's posted in this thread stays within those rules whether they have read them or not. Often it's also those who've read them are the ones who least needed to have read them!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
It would be nice if the forum rules were prominently displayed. I've never read them before. I use the do unto others rule. So far so good.
Ahhh Dave, if only more of society would follow your excellent advice. The majority on here do and are wonderful human beings, but out there it is a sick sad world indeed. "So shines a good deed in a weary world".

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
In a 2010 study, only 60% of incoming US college freshmen could be considered literate. This was a fairly small study, limited to a particular region, so may very well not generalize to the nation as a whole, but it is something to think about.
If only slightly more than half of college freshmen can read, what might be the literacy rate in the nation as a whole?
That scares the heck out of me. What bothers me more, though, is the rabid anti-intellectualism with which people defend their "right" to fail to use language correctly.
Even here, we've had members become quite aggressive when their posts were corrected for capitalization and/or spelling, and we seem to be a smarter, more reasonable and polite group than most.
Anyway, yes. We do need some standards for spelling, capitalization and grammar. If people aren't learning it in the public schools, and they aren't learning it in college, maybe they can learn it on a pipe-smoking forum.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hmmm. I didn't take the recent grammar-free posts as being from an illiterate person, or someone who lacked the ability to spell, etc. I think he (I assume it was a he) wanted to be irreverent, irritating and iconoclastic, by way of venting. I doubt his real anger was against what he perceives to be the old codgers on Forums, but I'm unlikely to know for sure. A percent of the public will always act out, and it usually isn't from ignorance of the rules or not knowing there are standards of behavior. Those are exactly what these folks intend to disobey. Might just be a brat-attack or they might be hurting otherwise.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
settersbrace,
The best (OK, worst) thing about the internet is that, no matter how stoopid one is, there's a a reddit sub-forum to tell them that they are perfectly alright!
"If I surround myself with sufficient stoopid, then my stoopid will begin to look normal, at least to me and my friends."

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Yup, enforse rool number 9 cause I get a hedake when I tri to make sence out of stoopid posts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVf5Cr4M-F8

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Is that the "do unto others . . . " which ends "before they do it to you." adage?
Ay! The shillelagh, used many times to assist in getting up off the ground and back into the melee, rarely for offensive purposes, sometimes for defense, mostly as support for a doddering old man with a worn out knee and hip which is old before its time. Oh, and used very often as punctuation. One sometimes needs to get the attention of the whippersnappers don't you know!

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I don't know about others but I never minded a difference of opinion. In fact I usually learn something in that process but when it denigrates to personal attacks that bothers me. I do have to say I find this new internet speak a little hard to follow (Rule 9). Rule 10 is, as warren pointed out, somewhat subjective but if you wouldn't want to be on the receiving end then you shouldn't post it. Being respectful of others, even when you disagree, should always be the rule. (Trolls excluded) People who attack others just irk the Hell out of me. There is no good reason for it because stupidity is its own evidence, it really doesn't require any notation.

Status
Not open for further replies.