Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

beef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2021
Ontario
I had a problem with my bent algonquin. It would get clogged very easily even after a thorough cleaning. My solution, which many may hate, was to saw 3/4cm off the tenon. It was awfully long anyways to support the 5cm long filters. Now the smoke moves from the chamber directly into the tenon. I have had no problems since this modification, though I suspect using the filters is out of the question now.

Reactions: stickframer
C

carolinasmokes

I just joined the Brigham fan club, I have three Brigham's inbound, an Acadian, Heritage and Klondike. I find the maple distillator filter system interesting, hope they're as good as you guys talk them up to be.

IMG_1565__85433.1509372113.jpgIMG_1878__30795.1509385138.jpgIMG_2055__80181.1509540424.jpg

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
C

carolinasmokes

Well fellas, I received my Brigham pipes today and out of the gate the Acadian would not pass a pipe cleaner. The stem drilling left a bunch of flashing in the stem. I couldn't run a cleaner through either end of the stem. Deal breaker for me, so back in the box with the other two for return and refund. I was disappointed to say the least, but first impressions are lasting impressions for me. Guess I'll add a few more Vauen pipes to my rotation, they smoke well and are meticulously crafted. Time to shop Vauen pipes again.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well, in a filtered pipe the pipe cleaner test is, well, moot. You don't need to be running cleaners through during the smoke because the filter takes care of the moisture, and as for cleaning, you have to take the pipe apart every time in order to wash/change the filter. But, well, everyone has his standards.

Good thing you didn't buy something like this:

002-171-3208.2007.jpg

It's weird that a straight Brigham won't pass the cleaner all the way, though. Even with the filter in place I can run a cleaner from bit to chamber in my Brigham Canadian and Prince; maybe you got the flukes. Brigham bents won't pass a cleaner with the filter in place at all, due to their engineering, pictures of which have been posted previously in this thread.

Reactions: rajangan and seanv
C

carolinasmokes

Well, in a filtered pipe the pipe cleaner test is, well, moot. You don't need to be running cleaners through during the smoke because the filter takes care of the moisture, and as for cleaning, you have to take the pipe apart every time in order to wash/change the filter. But, well, everyone has his standards.

002-171-3208.2007.jpg

It's weird that a straight Brigham won't pass the cleaner all the way, though. Even with the filter in place I can run a cleaner from bit to chamber in my Brigham Canadian and Prince; maybe you got the flukes. Brigham bents won't pass a cleaner with the filter in place at all, due to their engineering, pictures of which have been posted previously in this thread.
Thanks, I did remove the filter, the stem was drilled poorly. This was unacceptable to me for a supposedly top of the line Brigham pipe. I have moved on from Brigham pipes.

C

carolinasmokes

002-171-3208.2007.jpg

Thanks olkofri, I rarely ever have to run a pipe cleaner through my pipe when I smoke, I'm a pretty experienced pipe smoker and I know most bent pipes will not pass a cleaner that's why I prefer straight stem pipes. I inspect all new pipes thoroughly before smoking them. That's how I discovered this poorly drilled stem. I pulled the stem and filter for the pipe cleaner test, I could not get it to pass from either direction. This was unacceptable to me for a supposedly top of the line Brigham pipe. Sorry, but I have moved on from Brigham pipes now and will look at adding more Vauen pipes to my collection, so far all the Vauen pipes I have bought have had impeccable fit, finish and drilling and are definitely a better bang for my buck.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
It's really disappointing to get flukes from a brand's cream of the crop, yes. Vauen is an excellent maker; I love all my Vauens, even my apple, which is from the Basic line (cheapest of their crop) smokes excellent and the rim doesn't char even with Bic lighters—the draught hole enters the chamber a wee bit off-centre, but it doesn't affect the smoke.

Reactions: carolinasmokes

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
My first Brigham! A seven dot (765) that was, until today, unsmoked and new in the box. I date it to the ‘90’s. A very good smoking pipe and although it is a 1/4 bend it passes a pipe cleaner from bit to bowl. Nice 360° straight grain and a very light pipe. I don’t usually smoke filtered pipes but I’m kind of liking this filter system!3E49BC19-E38A-4667-89B9-AEF58A6A559A.jpeg

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
My first Brigham! A seven dot (765) that was, until today, unsmoked and new in the box. I date it to the ‘90’s. A very good smoking pipe and although it is a 1/4 bend it passes a pipe cleaner from bit to bowl. Nice 360° straight grain and a very light pipe. I don’t usually smoke filtered pipes but I’m kind of liking this filter system!View attachment 189874
Brand new from back then? That's quite a find!

Reactions: Papamique

Spinkle

Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My first Brigham! A seven dot (765) that was, until today, unsmoked and new in the box. I date it to the ‘90’s. A very good smoking pipe and although it is a 1/4 bend it passes a pipe cleaner from bit to bowl. Nice 360° straight grain and a very light pipe. I don’t usually smoke filtered pipes but I’m kind of liking this filter system!View attachment 189874
She’s a beauty! Is the stem acrylic?

Reactions: Papamique

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
Brand new from back then? That's quite a find!

Thank you! I was pretty happy about it. It took me a long time to decide to smoke it vs keep it NOS. I’m glad that the briar had been well cured, that I got along with the filters and that it smoked well. It’s a keeper.

Reactions: olkofri