PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
It would look even better in better lighting!
And so it does!

I am trying to place in my mind, exactly what pipe bend mixture those beautiful colors of your pipe reminds me of...

With you and Kurtbob now in the Brigham clubhouse too, we now have 9 guys, which is enough for our own Baseball team... which is a big step up from a 4 person Bridge group! - Sherm Natman

• Haha
Reactions: seanv and kurtbob

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
And so it does!

I am trying to place in my mind, exactly what pipe bend mixture those beautiful colors of your pipe reminds me of...

With you and Kurtbob now in the Brigham clubhouse too, we now have 9 guys, which is enough for our own Baseball team... which is a big step up from a 4 person Bridge group! - Sherm Natman
Only if we don’t end up with someone on the injured reserve list ?

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Here are the two Brighams that I own.
Ah, James! The man with the Algonquin Rhoddy and the Klondike Bully Brigham pipes bringing the current headcount in the clubhouse up to 10.

And, speaking of Klondike...

This always reminds me of my lumberjack days in the Klondike region of the Yukon territory in northwest Canada; at the time when The North Woods Lumber Company had fallen behind in their log deliveries.

So, they called on me.

I went to work immediately with my double-blade ax in hand; and, in no time, I was getting them back on schedule. However, my individual output was so rapid, continious, and voluminous, that a dangerously massive log-jam - the likes and size of which no Canadian man, woman, or child had ever seen - had formed right at the point where the Klondike River enters the Yukon River - being just to the east of Dawson City; and the raging floodwaters therefrom, were threatening to overflow the riverbanks and swiftly destroy that historical city, which was a base-camp during the Gold Rush of 1896 - 1899.

I rushed to the scene.

I ordered the townspeople to be immediately evacuated; while all my co-works from the lumber company fled in terror for their lives.

Then, having made sure I was completely alone, I whipped out a bundle of some twenty sticks of dynamite, and lit the fuse. Suddenly, a heavy log rolled down and caught my foot. I couldn't move. With the fuse of the dynamite rapidly growing shorter, and no other human in the area to help free me, I was doomed.

Thinking quickly, since my hands were free, I quickly built around myself, a sturdy log cabin.

The massive blast from the dynamite explosion broke up the monumental log-jam completely; but, my log cabin protected me. It gently floated to shore, where the cheering men freed my trapped foot.

To show his appreciation, Roy Brigham, himself - who just happened to be on the local scene at time, taking out-of-town relatives to the Dawson City Historical Museum, in Klondike - presented me with a hand-carved pipe he had quickly fashioned from a jagged piece of the flying timber; which had only missed delivering him a fatal impaling blow by the merest of inches.

I immediately filled the rough and jagged Presentation Trophy Pipe with Middleton's Prince Albert pipe tobacco, and set the bowl alight.

Because it was my calm demeanor in the face of danger, quick thinking, and my free hands which saved me and Klondike from certain horrific disaster while my foot was hopelessly trapped, I dubbed this new pipe shape: The Freehand Model.

And, so it came to be known. ;) - Sherm Natman

Last edited:

philairfoil

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
I have these two estates, both Canuk made. However, the bottom one is not in my rotation as it's, dare I say, ugly. The wood inserts are washable and reusable...which appeal to my 'thriftiness'.
I've considered smooth finishing bottom of the large pot, or trying my hand at rusticating the entire bowl...but I doubt I ever will find the time as I am busy knitting face masks.
These cleaned up nicely,and for $40, money well spent.
Brigham 42$.jpg

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have these two estates, both Canuk made. However, the bottom one is not in my rotation as it's, dare I say, ugly. The wood inserts are washable and reusable...which appeal to my 'thriftiness'.
I've considered smooth finishing bottom of the large pot, or trying my hand at rusticating the entire bowl...but I doubt I ever will find the time as I am busy knitting face masks.
These cleaned up nicely,and for $40, money well spent.
View attachment 60425
The bottom is a Sportsman - are there dots anywhere on the stem?

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
No...and the stem is too fatty for my taste, but other than that...good smoker.

It just kinda looks unfinished to me, like they stopped working on it before it was done.
That’s the “thing” with the Sportsman pipes they are unfinished and meant to be for “roughing it” I suppose so that if you drop it in a lake or lose it you don’t worry too much about it.

philairfoil

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
That’s the “thing” with the Sportsman pipes they are unfinished and meant to be for “roughing it” I suppose so that if you drop it in a lake or lose it you don’t worry too much about it.
Well...you guys made me put down my knitting and actually find the pipe, and I was mistaken, it does have two spots on the stem. Now I'm tired, and I gotta drink a Molson Canadian...dammit.

philairfoil

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Hand-knitted pipe sock with matching hand-knit sweater? ? - Sherm Natman
Don't be ridiculous...I am doing my part for the science of eradication of the Corona Plague.
Knit facemasks with a flap for a pipe, inserted to inject the life saving tobacco smoke into the patient. At a store near you soon, ask your pharmacist.

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
I'm enjoying my Brigham today. I have just two and they are recent\Italian.

Earlier I had Haunted Bookshop in my 223 and am now enjoying Royal Yacht in my 026. This particular bowl is interesting as I have mainly smoked Gentleman Caller in this pipe before.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I have a Norseman freehand being cleaned up at my local b&m currently. I am not a freehand fan but I had to jump when I saw it for sale.

Reactions: shermnatman

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I almost bought a Brigham to have a Canadian made pipe, but they moved production to Italy. The rock maple inserts put me off a little, one more item to keep up with or throw away. I like their looks, kind of a Canadian Dr. Grabow.