PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I have been looking at them for about a year now and always end up getting something else. But they make beautiful pipes and judging by the people on the forum the sound awesome, so it looks like that will be my next purchase!

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
An estate Brigham, a discontinued style that is a sharp classic English-style bulldog. One of my best smokers, and incidentally, it's usually the first briar I taste-test tobaccos with after I'm done with the meers and clays. It has a wide-open bowl geometry that just does something right. The rock maple filters are genius, IMHO, and an invaluable asset when I'm puffing through a lot of tobacco for work. I'm looking forward to my next acquisition.
brigham-600x450.png

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
That style isn't discontinued as far as I know, heres an ebay link to a brand new one . . .

Here

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
The bowl is taller and the stem slightly different, but the diamond shaped stem is there along with the apple and the two rings.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have 3 Brighams. My favorite is the Acadian # 62. I smoke my english / latakia blends with this pipe. The filter system does a phenominal job removing moisture build up when I get a little carried away puffing, and the flavor delivered by virtually every smoke is sublime.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Wanted to add a Brigham to my rotation for a while now. Seem like a great deal for the price.
Yup. Time to order.

Aug 1, 2012
Just got an old 3 dot (vertical dots) sandblast pot. Shape number looks like 615 but it's pretty faded. It's got a twin bore stem, I hate that type, so I doubt it's going to stay here long :( . I was really looking forward to it too. Pics after the resto.

jdto

Might Stick Around
Nov 11, 2012
I've got three right now and I've had another half-dozen pass through my hands, a few of which I greatly regret selling.
Two are from my grandfather and are old-school:
Sportsman (this one has a huge bowl)

IMG_4492.jpg

VIP? Norseman? - if anyone could shed a bit more light on what series this one is, I'd be grateful

IMG_7258_zps6a73e0cf.jpg

Then one new one.

Voyageur 123 - I just picked this one up and it's a very, very good smoker for the money.

16FB6D00-7724-4689-AAFA-028A8825FF1D-227-0000000CFCBAD294_zps47a3311d.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
Since a Canadian company will soon own Saks Fifth Avenue (as announced today), shouldn't Brigham come out with a gold-leaf Brigham?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey there gang.
Our Pipe Club had a rep from Brigham (Canada) out last week who judged our club's "Best Brigham Collection" contest and shared insights into the different pipes in the various collections. The oldest Brigham was a late 40's Dublin owned by brdavidson. The best collection went to forum member damyak for his great collection of estate Brighams and a fantastic vintage Brigham sign (the finding of which he documented here http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/brigham-antique-score).
There were also a large number of high-grade Brigham pipes, including the Brigham Pipe of the Year pipes from 2009 and forward. I'm with Roth on the general disdain for the bowl coating in new Brigham pipes. I also would want a "Made in Canada" pipe for my go-to Brigham. That being said, some of these Brigham PotY pipes are wonderful, and if I weren't in the middle of my first commissioned pipe I'd be thinking about them in a serious way.
The 2010 is a lovely briar and meerschaum calabash: http://www.brighampipes.com/POTY2010.html
The 2011 is a Danish influenced freehand egg: http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Brigham/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=97739
The 2012 is the first of a three year themed set around the war of 1812, it's a panel billiard with a pewter tamper cast in the image of Sir Isaac Brock, and with a special coin from the Canadian Mint, boxed of course: http://www.smokerings.ca/nanaimo-tobacconist/pipes/brigham/pipe-of-the-year-2012/brigham-pipe-of-the-year-2012-side/
Thought you all would like to see what these looked like. They are all limited runs of 100 pipes, and are all numbered.
Dang it, now I can't wait for my next batch of Brigham estates to arrive in the pipe cave for cleaning...
-- Pat

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Roth, Brigham has no pipe making capabilities in Canada as far as I know. I believe it is just their corporate offices and sales staff here now.

dcrguns

Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
My new Brigham. Sandblasted Bent Billiard (Giant) (1202) It is a new production and seems well made. I will enjoy it for years to come.
002-491-0873.jpg

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I have 2 Brighams that see very regular use. A Chinook 426 that is my main aro pipe and a Chinook 29 that is dedicated to Bald Headed Teacher. If your a fan of Brighams then you have to check out Phillip Trypis pipes, he was one of the main makers of Brighams before they moved manufacturing over seas. I have 2 of his pipes as well.

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
This is my Brigham 3 dot bent bulldog, probably from the late 60s early 70s (based on the maker mark).
cSOVc78.jpg

2KYV1oC.jpg

It was a flea market find. When I asked the seller if I could see it, he refused to pull the stem out, but was ok if I did it. The pipe had a HUGE amount of rank smelling cake, a dirty filter in place, and a badly oxidized stem. It was pretty easy to talk him down from $15 to $8 because there was still tobacco in the bottom of the bowl. :)
I got it home, reamed it, dropped the stem in oxiclean and used the micromesh pads to polish it up. I then ran booze soaked pipe cleaners through the bowl, shank and stem until they came out clean, and gently sanded and polished the rim to get the char off. All told, about 3 hours of elbow grease and I had a good pipe again! It's turned into one of my favorite pipes.

Reactions: fallsguy