PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
So I've searched this site to see if many people have a Brigham pipe. But I can never find anything.
So being the patriotic Canadian that I am, my first "good" pipe is a Brigham Voyageur #184.
I love the light weight feel, great draw (altho I don't have much experience with anything else) filter system works well, and they are a great piece for a great price.
I am wondering if anyone else here has a Brigham pipe. Tell me your story of how you got it, how you like the smoke, and what you think of their pipes.
Here are a few pics of my pipe that I got in the mail this afternoon.

39d6e735.jpg

7b6529a9.jpg

And this one of the bottom has a slight imperfection on the exterior. It's hard to see but it looks like te carver went a tad too deep when doing the rustication. Hope it doesn't effect the pipes life.

1655f019.jpg

Post'em up!!
Happy smoking!

Reactions: North Pole piper

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I just got a new Brigham last week. I got it after hearing some nice things about them on this forum. It smokes well and has a real easy draw, even with the wooden filter.
I am careful to alternate filters when I smoke (this is recommended on the Brigham website), so the filter I am using is both clean and thoroughly dry.
It's a good pipe. Hope you enjoy yours.

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
I love my 3Dot! I only have one filter and once it got nasty I stowed it and still smoke it. It really likes Haunted Bookshop and Jack Knife Plug. Matter of fact, of all my pipes it's a top fave.

Brigham3dot004.jpg

Brigham3dot002.jpg

Reactions: Mtlpiper

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
Ah Brighams are about my favourite brand! My first pipe was a Brigham 164 and I still pick it up even with 37 others, a good portion of which are Brighams. After smoking a Brigham from just about every era of note that they've had and a range from the lowest to the highest grade in many of those eras they're a favourite of mine because the quality of the smoke is always fine. Brigham just makes fine pipes all around no matter how many dots there are in the stem, or if they're an estate "made in Canada" or the recent Italian made. Just a fine smoke. :)
They also have the best filter system out there. I also honestly don't work for them and it's just some honest opinion.

Reactions: saintpeter

adamgreen

Lurker
Jun 28, 2011
my first (and only - but not for long) pipe is a three dot Brigham Mountaineer. I don't have anything to compare it to, but it's withheld my abuse for the last year while I've been learning the ins and outs of smoking a pipe :clap:
I would have gotten another brigham but I wanted a poker and I couldn't find one from them ...

Nov 2, 2011
First, thanks for starting this thread. I don’t think Brigham gets the props it deserves. I’m proud to support a great Canadian company such as Brigham. They make great pipes that are perfect for those just starting out (and not ready to commit serious dollars) or who need a less expensive pipe for rougher occasions (canoe trips, working at the woodpile, etc.) I also like that they are honouring this diverse country and its rich heritage with their series names.
Okay, onto the pipes. My first pipe was a Brigham Voyageur 136. Nice pipe. Excellently made for the price. I bought at from Calgary’s oldest tobacco shop. It was exactly what I was looking for in my first pipe. For me, the story and aesthetics of a pipe and the image it conjures is just as important as how it smokes. In this case I’d just returned from a 10 day canoe trip in northern Saskatchewan and was happily surprised when I got the pipe home and I realized it was a Voyageur.
IMG_7951-300x200.jpg

My second Brigham is a Chinook 426 and it just arrived today in the post from smokingpipes.com. Handsome pipe and still very reasonably priced. Chinook is the warm Pacific wind that blows in over the Canadian Rockies a dozen or so times each winter, melting the snow, offering a reprieve from winters icy grip, and for many (including me) inducing migraines. When I ordered this pipe I guess I was thinking forward to the coming cold and the beauty of another Alberta winter.
IMG_7944-300x200.jpg

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
Oh by the way Rd02sir I think that section that you think they went too far with the rustication may actually be a sandpit that made the pipe be chosen for rustication. I have a similar spot on my Voyageur 164.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I had previously missed this thread. The funny thing is that I logged into the PM Twitter account to Tweet about some of our new content when I saw that one of the executives of Brigham had noticed this thread and Tweeted about it. I of course Re-Tweeted it.
I'm glad you guys are into Brigham Pipes. They help keep the lights on around here.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
asphotographics..... I went to the Brigham site when I saw this thread and also was drawn to that Chinook. I love the flow of that shape!!

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
Awesome that Brigham knows they have fans among us!

Free filters for us all?!?

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
And here I thought Ichbinmuede and I were the only ones fighting over the Brigham estates listed on E-bay! Great pipes, no matter the era (Canadian made/aluminum tenon or Italian made/plastic tenon); and the only filter system worth a hoot in my opinion.
Smoking my Brigham "2 Dot" 1/8 bent billiard as I type these words.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Hey kev, you mind posting what was tweeted? I'm curious to see why the excec had said lol.
Ichb, thanks for the clarification, so far it hasn't altered or hindered the pipes life.
I will he def getting another brigham pipe in the near future. I really want an Acadian finish #29 and 84. But they are a bit pricey for me right now.
On a side note, I'm very pleased with the Rock Maple filter system. I have been smoking my brigham quite a bit, and after each cool down, I rinse it off, run a pipe cleaner through then let dry. Meanwhile I put in a fresh filter for the next smoke and just rotate. I just love these pipes and their filtration system. Never a gurgle, very very little tounge bite (but it could jut e because I'm a beginner piper), and the filters are somewhat inexpensive IMO. about $4-$5 for 8 of them and each one can get dozens of smokes through them before discarding.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I have one Brigham and it came,from all places,the Dr. Grabow factory in Sparta,NC. How a canadian made pipe ended up in the DG factory is a mystery. It was in a "back room" with a bunch of other pipes. Several brands,Kaywoodie,some Italian makes,Alphas and others in boxes on a rack at the DG factory!

Mine is in my rotation and had been a great smoker for me. Although I did modify the filter system.

Reactions: fallsguy

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
I've had my eye on the Mountaineer and the Algonquin for a while. My main hesitation is the filtre. Does removing the filtre alter the smoking characteristics in a significant way? Or create other problems I haven't thought of?

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
Well it opens/changes the draw a goodly amount but other than that not a considerable difference. The smoke may be a bit more moist but no more so than any other pipe.

But before you just throw it out I would recommend trying the filter. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the absence of effect on the flavour and the quality. I wouldn't really call it a filter either as it doesn't actually filter the smoke per se but serves to wick moisture out of the smoke.