PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
Well, one mans trash is another mans treasure....the ol' inner webs can be just as deceitful as it can be helpful....for someone like me there is a lot of chaff to sift through before ya get the real kernels of truth.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Well, one mans trash is another mans treasure....the ol' inner webs can be just as deceitful as it can be helpful....for someone like me there is a lot of chaff to sift through before ya get the real kernels of truth.
Get some Balkan Supreme. Now there's treasure. Easy to find, inexpensive, and amazing.

Reactions: Casual and BlueMaxx
What are a couple of your favorite D&R blends? I still haven’t tried any. For the longest time I always viewed them as cigarettes tobacco disguised as pipe tobacco (which I believe they were at one time?) but time and word here has proven that they are legit and it’s time for me to get over my prejudice and try some out for myself. I like heavy hitters so if any blends come to mind, I’m up for some recommendations. I’d like to add some to my wishlist.

Picayune is a great one. Think of a VaPer with a dash of orientals that smokes smooth, but kicks your head like a GH&co rope. Don't smoke this and drive!!!

I just pulled a jar of Rimboche AP out of the cellar. Five years and it has some stregnth to it. All three of the Rimboches uses a Virginia from higher up on the stalk than traditional Pipe Virginias, so they have some stregnth. I really like the flavors. But, pushed too hard and they can get harsh. But, smoked slow, they give off a very subtle fruitiness.

All three of the Racoon blends are worth trying. They use a fermented golden Virginia that Russ and Mark developed together using the perique process. Raccoons Delight is my absolute favorite. The burley adds a nice nicotine mouth feel to it and adds some stregnth.

Ryback Gold is another kick in the head, Virginia Burley and dark fired. It is a shag cut, but packed tight, I really enjoy it. If you enjoy a dark fired, you'll need to try it.

The Rowland aromatics are definitely worth a try. The cocoa topping is very light, and in each one uses a different leaf, silver platinum, and gold, they all are tobacco forward, but with that intriguing flavor in the background. It is not a goopy aro at all.

There are others that I keep on hand. For the price, it's easy to try out a bunch of tins and keep stocked. Plus, I tried to keep it to the ones that I think have a good dose of nicotine.

I hope this list helps, and let us know what you think.

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
It helps very much, I have been reading here, looking at ingredients and ordering diverse brands and blends.
In fact very few of the blends I have bought have been in multiples.
I take the advice here to heart, and will purchase a recommended tin.
For what I used to pay for one pack of smokes gets me a tin of surprise.
Trying as many different kinds in the beginning will eventually land me on what floats my boat...then I can feel comfortable buying a bulk bag of it.

I am still in the honeymoon stage ?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Picayune is a great one. Think of a VaPer with a dash of orientals that smokes smooth, but kicks your head like a GH&co rope. Don't smoke this and drive!!!

I just pulled a jar of Rimboche AP out of the cellar. Five years and it has some stregnth to it. All three of the Rimboches uses a Virginia from higher up on the stalk than traditional Pipe Virginias, so they have some stregnth. I really like the flavors. But, pushed too hard and they can get harsh. But, smoked slow, they give off a very subtle fruitiness.

All three of the Racoon blends are worth trying. They use a fermented golden Virginia that Russ and Mark developed together using the perique process. Raccoons Delight is my absolute favorite. The burley adds a nice nicotine mouth feel to it and adds some stregnth.

Ryback Gold is another kick in the head, Virginia Burley and dark fired. It is a shag cut, but packed tight, I really enjoy it. If you enjoy a dark fired, you'll need to try it.

The Rowland aromatics are definitely worth a try. The cocoa topping is very light, and in each one uses a different leaf, silver platinum, and gold, they all are tobacco forward, but with that intriguing flavor in the background. It is not a goopy aro at all.

There are others that I keep on hand. For the price, it's easy to try out a bunch of tins and keep stocked. Plus, I tried to keep it to the ones that I think have a good dose of nicotine.

I hope this list helps, and let us know what you think.
Thanks for the in depth list! Sounds like I got a lot to keep me busy. Not putting in an order for awhile but when I do, yeah, these are inexpensive enough to throw in one of each on my next tobacco purchase. Good stuff man!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
A few of my favorite ready to smoke blends that are readily available and taste great fresh are the following.

Solani 660 silver flake a great Virginia Kentucky.
Solani 633 a fanatastic Virginiaa\/Perique blend that while does age brilliantly, still smokes like a champ fresh.
Capstan Blue Flake fresh or aged is a brilliant smoke.
Savinelli Doblone d'Oto is a winner but has a couple of rough edges due to the Kentucky
Peterson Irish Flake is a nice strong blend from the get go and is very consistent.
Peterson University flake. The plumb topping is great fresh plus with some years on it.
Peterson Feluxe Navy Rolls
Escudo

maulragoth

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2018
My bulk orders of Balkan Supreme have come at exactly the right moisture content to smoke immediately, and leave no dottle. Makes for a satisfying experience to do no preparation and get great results.
2nd that on the Stokkebye/Arango Balkan Supreme. I also switch over to C&D Super Balkan some too. Or for going a little lighter I have about 5 lbs of Presbyterian Match as well. I bulk up on Stokkebye Luxuries as well along with C&D Yorktown for a lighter Virgina. Also I bulked up on Elizabethan Math (Sutliff)... love the richness of that one.

In your aromatic trials, you gotta try some Edward G. Robinson's (tin). I think it may have become my favorite aro over Newminster Blackberry Brandy. I do still like Lane 1-Q and BCA at rare occasions too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I tend to like aromatic blends when the flavoring has had some time to mellow, so they are tobacco forward. Virginia blends are famous for aging to advantage, and it seems to me that burley keeps well, and specific burleys may gain some subtlety with time, by my account, take it or leave it. There may have been specific blends that are disappointing and then improve with age. Mostly, when I have opened tins and other packaging fresh, other than maybe a little drying time, they've been good. It's my impression that most blending is done to deliver a product that is tasty immediately, since that's how many pipe smokers experience it. Only real pipe smoking scholars get into aging blends in any intentional way, I suspect. I age blends by accident just because I smoke moderately and tend to buy more tobacco than I smoke, so it ages.

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
All the STG Dunhill ribbon cut blends that I had smoked, were great right from the tin. Of the ones I liked, is readily available now only Elizabethan Mixture rebranded as Peterson blend.

I agree w/ Burley on this. Dunhill ribbon cuts are almost always perfect right out of the tin or with minimal drying (say 10 or so minutes) At least that's been my experience. They're easy to pack and burn to a fine gray ash. And they're also really great blends.

As a newbie, I'd recommend you stay away from flakes,broken flakes, plugs and ropes for the time being as I think they require a bit more technique and finesse. I can still manage to screw up a flake by not letting it dry enough, or not packing it correctly and then it either burns too hot or keeps going out.
Ribbons are just easier and Dunhill, now Peterson, makes great Ribbon cut products. Squadron Leader is one of my favorites as is it's close cousin Skiff Mixture.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
So many blends that I've tried were so much better a few days to a week after opening, that it's now my habit to open a tin or bag, reseal it and put it away for a week or so before packing a bowl.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title ( See Rule 9 ) - Bob

Another beginner question here, so be gentle!

I was wondering what brands or blends are best to purchase and open to smoke immediately?

I have been stashing away some of the rarer and some not so rare tins like a squirrel in October with OCD...but some are of the harder to get blends and brands and I want to let them age.

My main smoke has been the brick and mortar's house blend where I go that is nearly two hours away.
I have no idea what the exact mixture is.
It is mildly aromatic and smooth and is in their bulk jar....so moisture content is rather dry.

The other I have been smoking is Squadron Leader, and I am finding I like English blends, well this one at least.
In fact it may be my first "name brand" bulk purchase should I find it that way.

So is their a particular brand or blend, or combination of both that is "ready to go" or am I over thinking things?

I am wanting to broaden my horizons a bit.

No aromatics please...I am just not there yet....I cracked a tin of Cult Blood Red Moon and just the tin note made my eyes water :oops:...so that one I jarred and am letting rest.

Not sure if it will help, but as I said I am a beginner.

I am going to have to learn more about casings, additives and other methods of deriving an aromatic, but feel that is for the future.

Thanks,

M
[I cracked a tin of Cult Blood Red Moon and just the tin note made my eyes water]

Like you I'm partial to English blends, but I've dabbled in aromatics. Blood Red Moon is actually pretty damned good. Yes, it's tin note is strong and that first half of that first bowl will be like chocolate cherry overkill, but it will settle down after that. I love it because, unlike most aromatics that i tried when I started in 08, BRM, while rich in flavor and body, is smooth and DOES NOT BITE!! And it only takes half an hour or so to dry. Some aromatics never ever dry and BITE the crap out of you. Give it a shot!!

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana

Okay, finally found out what rule #9 is, sorry about that...I will correct any future posting.

M

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
I've been enjoying the Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake as my daily go to. I am also cellering some to see how it ages. I've heard good things about it with age but is also tasty right away at least to my palate.

I've recently discovered Haunted Bookshop which is great right off the bat.

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
I still have not tried Haunted Bookshop.....but In plan on grabbing a couple tins because I hear so much about it...

Reactions: Ebarber

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
I still have not tried Haunted Bookshop.....but In plan on grabbing a couple tins because I hear so much about it...

I read a lot of good and bad reviews on Tobaccoreviews.com so I was pretty undecided. I ordered a small tin to try after watching Matches860 enjoy it so well. I loved it and just ordered 2lbs ?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many Cornell & Diehl blends with burley seem ready to go right out of the package/tin. I think they may deepen some with aging, but I find them good right away.

Reactions: Ebarber