PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title ( See Rule 9 ) - Bob

Another beginner question here, so be gentle!

I was wondering what brands or blends are best to purchase and open to smoke immediately?

I have been stashing away some of the rarer and some not so rare tins like a squirrel in October with OCD...but some are of the harder to get blends and brands and I want to let them age.

My main smoke has been the brick and mortar's house blend where I go that is nearly two hours away.
I have no idea what the exact mixture is.
It is mildly aromatic and smooth and is in their bulk jar....so moisture content is rather dry.

The other I have been smoking is Squadron Leader, and I am finding I like English blends, well this one at least.
In fact it may be my first "name brand" bulk purchase should I find it that way.

So is their a particular brand or blend, or combination of both that is "ready to go" or am I over thinking things?

I am wanting to broaden my horizons a bit.

No aromatics please...I am just not there yet....I cracked a tin of Cult Blood Red Moon and just the tin note made my eyes water :oops:...so that one I jarred and am letting rest.

Not sure if it will help, but as I said I am a beginner.

I am going to have to learn more about casings, additives and other methods of deriving an aromatic, but feel that is for the future.

Thanks,

M

Last edited by a moderator:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Aromatic: Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic

Non-aromatic: SPC Potlatch (might be a little strong for a nw pipe smoker, in which case C&D Tuggle Hall may be more pleasing).

So many blends! Sample buying small quantities to get a range on what you enjoy.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I'm not sure if by ready to smoke you are referring to moisture or age. If it is age, my guess is that all blends that are being put out are deemed ready to smoke by the blender. Aging is just a way for us pipesmokers to complicate things and feel special.
If you are talking about moisture, well, just let it dry before you smoke it.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think most everything is technically ready to smoke. Bad tobacco might improve a bit with age, lose come rough edges, but it won't become great,

With that said, tobaccos age differently. Try some different blends, determine which genres you prefer. Try some more. Taste is subjective so what I say about a blend is going to be meaningless to you.

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought this was about dryness.
Yes, there are no tobaccos sold that "have" to be aged before you can smoke them. Aging is an eccentric American thing, mostly. But, all tobacco sold is intended to be smoked immediately.
Some just suck without a little age on them... although the manufacturer would beg to differ. But, there are less sucky blends than great ones... unless we start including aromatics. puffy

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
fresh that is great to smoke right away (with dry time) are many MacBaren flakes..
also Orlik Golden Sliced and Dark Strong Kentucky.

I came to say this, I was worried recently because I opened a tin of OGS 1 month old, was expecting bite. Nope, just sweet, bready bergamotty virginias. Another one I've had success with fresh was Escudo.

Blends I would not recommend fresh are C&D blends, but I haven't tried as ton of theirs so YMMV.

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
I really like Daughters Ryan (D&R) blends. They are dry enough and you get a lot more tobacco because he doesn't case it with water. Also, C&D blends don't seem to require much more than just a little fanning to dry them, but I think it mostly depends on which blend.

I have a tin of Daughters and Ryan English Hoopla that is suppose to arrive with a new pipe today...

And to the above, I was kind of referring to both...so far I have not had anything that would be deemed too moist...but only really delved into the Squadron Leader which I let set out on one of my little Aeropress filters for about ten or fifteen minutes before loading, and have been averaging two or three relights per bowl so far.

However, I blame that on my inexperience at packing.

Last edited:
Reactions: BROBS

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
fresh that is great to smoke right away (with dry time) are many MacBaren flakes..
also Orlik Golden Sliced and Dark Strong Kentucky.

When I made my first purchase I went heavy on the Mac Baren tins....7 Seas Royal, Red, Mac Baren Vanilla Cream and Symphony......

This is a prime example of giving a monkey a who knows nothing a credit card...I purchased a lot of aromatics before doing my research.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I would recommend Pegasus and Old Dark Fired to you. You're in pretty good hands with Squadron Leader.

Reactions: BlueMaxx