PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
When I made my first purchase I went heavy on the Mac Baren tins....7 Seas Royal, Red, Mac Baren Vanilla Cream and Symphony......

This is a prime example of giving a monkey a who knows nothing a credit card...I purchased a lot of aromatics before doing my research.
Vanilla Cream is great. just let it dry all the way out before smoking.

7 Seas... I have to agree they are terrible.

Symphony is pretty good I think but I've never tried it.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
If you enjoy Squaddy, I'd recommend Balkan Supreme and Sasieni, Whiteknight or BSOSM Match. All are good to go. Most lat blends aren't really the best candidates for long term ageing unless they have lots of VA in the mix, although some get better with a year or two on them. I personally think anything produced by C&D/GLP really benefits from 6 months to a years ageing, even lat blends, so this could be the exception to the rule. Germain's produced blends are all well aged before they even ship so you can't go wrong with them.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Hearth and Home Black House has been a knockout winner straight from the tin for me. One of my all time, “all day” favorites. I don’t know that I’ve had a better tasting or better behaving tobacco fresh from the tin.

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
I'm becoming quite fond of C&D blends of late. Perfect moisture content for my tastes. The soggier blends kind of repel me.

(big half gallon jars of Sutliff on my shelf- I'm looking at you)

I just can't help wondering what they add to make them that way. Then I have to wonder if I really want to burn whatever it is. Then I dry them out a smoke it anyway.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
There were lots of McClelland blends that I’d open and let sit for a couple of weeks (with the lid on) before smoking.
A lot of blends in the last 10 years have had some blurb like “this blend will be totally yummy in 10 years”. I think statements like this have more to do with the “cellaring” frenzy than anything else.

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
Hearth and Home Black House has been a knockout winner straight from the tin for me. One of my all time, “all day” favorites. I don’t know that I’ve had a better tasting or better behaving tobacco fresh from the tin.

I haven't checked that one out...I will give it a look..

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Almost everything can be smoked straight out of tin, but some aren't too pleasant to smoke. Been doing that for awhile, but once again finding even a short amount of time drying help to enjoy the smoking experience better. GLP blends are almost good to go from the tin, but 15 min drying time in my study brings out the flavor, and make them more enjoyable. Some Dunhill/Peterson blends like Royal Yacht and Elizabethan Mixture also benefit from some drying time.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
The suggestions here are great, I just want to point out that most blends are more smoke-ready than Gawith blends. They're extremely wet compared to others.

Aromatics are usually going to seem "wet," but it's just the goop. Sometimes I like to smoke a nasty gooper, like how I occasionally get a craving for nasty fast food.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Hearth and Home Black House,
Just ordered a couple tins, thanks for the tip!
I hope you like it! I first smoked it about a year ago and liked it well enough, but lately I just can’t seem put the stuff down. It’s decently complex, fragrant, sweet, and easy on the mouth. Lights and burns great with little to no dry time in my experience.

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
I hope you like it! I first smoked it about a year ago and liked it well enough, but lately I just can’t seem put the stuff down. It’s decently complex, fragrant, sweet, and easy on the mouth. Lights and burns great with little to no dry time in my experience.

They arrived yesterday...haven't had a chance to get into them yet though....Also grabbed a tin of Nightcap and Peterson Elizabethan mixture.
The big score was driving about an hour and forty-five minutes each way up to the nearest good brick and mortar and came away with two tins Margate, two tins Pembroke and three tins of Penzance, got the last of what they had on that one....they are going straight to the cellar though.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I really like Daughters Ryan (D&R) blends. They are dry enough and you get a lot more tobacco because he doesn't case it with water. Also, C&D blends don't seem to require much more than just a little fanning to dry them, but I think it mostly depends on which blend.
What are a couple of your favorite D&R blends? I still haven’t tried any. For the longest time I always viewed them as cigarettes tobacco disguised as pipe tobacco (which I believe they were at one time?) but time and word here has proven that they are legit and it’s time for me to get over my prejudice and try some out for myself. I like heavy hitters so if any blends come to mind, I’m up for some recommendations. I’d like to add some to my wishlist.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
came away with two tins Margate, two tins Pembroke and three tins of Penzance, got the last of what they had on that one....they are going straight to the cellar though
Unless you like diminished and muted Latakia, I would suggest smoking those in the next couple of years. Esoterica Latakia goes flat fairly quickly.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I like heavy hitters so if any blends come to mind, I’m up for some recommendations.
003-470-0041.jpg

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
What are a couple of your favorite D&R blends? I still haven’t tried any. For the longest time I always viewed them as cigarettes tobacco disguised as pipe tobacco (which I believe they were at one time?) but time and word here has proven that they are legit and it’s time for me to get over my prejudice and try some out for myself. I like heavy hitters so if any blends come to mind, I’m up for some recommendations. I’d like to add some to my wishlist.
If you like burley, try D&R Two Timer. Good stuff.

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
Unless you like diminished and muted Latakia, I would suggest smoking those in the next couple of years. Esoterica Latakia goes flat fairly quickly.

I will gladly accept that challenge ?

So aging on all Esotericas that contain latakia have the same issue?

As mythical as it appears from my perspective as mere neophyte, spoken of as if it was as rare as Solomons wisdom, I figured people had secret rooms with elaborate and hidden doors activated by candlesticks to reveal their coveted Penzance, only to be gazed upon thrice a year under a full moon.
Patiently waiting for the perfect age.

I guess it's tobacco, it's meant be smoked... but for me it would be casting pearls before swine as my palate is so new to the game......right now I cannot get enough of the Plum Pudding Special Reserve.
I will say it is the first blend that has really awoken within me the essence of flavor and truly enjoying a smoke.

Even though I later learned I was "preparing" it all the wrong way and discovered rubbing out wasn't a crass allusion.

Starting with the locals bulk in a cheap corncob then moving to a nice briar and Squadron Leader and not understanding a lot of the fundamentals of pipes and pipe smoking in general, I felt mostly like when we were kids and hid in the hayloft lighting straw to act like we were smoking.

No matter how many "experts" I watched on YouTube truly prepared me for the many steps and nuances of pipe smoking as a hobby.
It is indeed a many faceted activity.

Now I am starting to understanding moisture, drying first, cadence and a myriad of other things that I had a crude knowledge of but only truly realized after putting some time in and doing just about everything wrong in the beginning.
Failure is a great teacher...