PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I had a similar problem with an old Britwood with a bone tenon - an extremely tight draw but no problems passing pipe cleaners.

Patience and a straightened paper clip pushed out a half inch long wad of cleaner fluff.

No problems since, especially since I switched from BJ Long cleaners to another brand

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
That’s a great looking pipe, it’s gotta be fixable. I’d hate to see it chopped.
I usually open up my stinger holes, sometimes with a triangular file on edge, or like this one, a drill bit in a tap handle and cleaned up with a small round file and patience.
View attachment 313402
I never thought of that. Thanks. That’s something!

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I dont know about that make of pipe but most (not all) stingers can be removed. Warm up the metal part with a lighter and see if it unscrews or pulls out. Be firm but gentle a pair of pliers and some cloth if you want to protect it. If it comes out fix the blockage, clean the stinger with alcohol and if you want to use it again reinsert it.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
That’s a great looking pipe, it’s gotta be fixable. I’d hate to see it chopped.
I usually open up my stinger holes, sometimes with a triangular file on edge, or like this one, a drill bit in a tap handle and cleaned up with a small round file and patience.
View attachment 313402
I’m filing it with a set of small files. I’m not doing it quite as cleanly with what I have but it’s a heck of a lot better than cutting the stinger. Great! Thanks a million!

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I dont know about that make of pipe but most (not all) stingers can be removed. Warm up the metal part with a lighter and see if it unscrews or pulls out. Be firm but gentle a pair of pliers and some cloth if you want to protect it. If it comes out fix the blockage, clean the stinger with alcohol and if you want to use it again reinsert it.
Kaywoodies are one piece stinger/tenon screw unlike Lee’s etc the “stingers” of which are slip/press fit into the tenon screw fixture.

I’ve got a couple clipped KW’s, some good, some poorly clipped and they seem to attract moisture at the clipped end. I’m toying with squaring them up and chamfering the opening. Time will tell…
1716816815852.png

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Kaywoodies are one piece stinger/tenon screw unlike Lee’s etc the “stingers” of which are slip/press fit into the tenon screw fixture.

I’ve got a couple clipped KW’s, some good, some poorly clipped and they seem to attract moisture at the clipped end. I’m toying with squaring them up and chamfering the opening. Time will tell…
View attachment 313427
Honestly, I traded away a Lees and I’m kind of regretting it. I liked it. Well, the stem had a repair anyway. Maybe I’ll find a better one. This Kaywoodie is no good. I’m almost convinced it came out of the factory this way and survived in this condition because of its poor smoking quality.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Honestly, I traded away a Lees and I’m kind of regretting it. I liked it. Well, the stem had a repair anyway. Maybe I’ll find a better one. This Kaywoodie is no good. I’m almost convinced it came out of the factory this way and survived in this condition because of its poor smoking quality.
That’s a shame.

Reactions: milk

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I thought I'd turn back to a Kaywoodie expert. I ran a wire through this pipe. It goes through well. Pipe cleaners go through but the draw is tighter than my other 4-hole-stinger Kaywoodie. It's that slight bit tighter draw that makes all the difference when the pipe is full of tobacco. I'm going to try the wire brush when I get it but I'm feeling like it's not going to make a difference. I hate to cut the stinger. I'm wondering though, will cutting the stinger even fix the problem? Is it certain to open up the draw? I don't have good equipment. Will metal cable cutters sold on amazon work for cutting the stinger? I really hate to cut the stinger. I notice that this stinger is smaller than my thorn's.
Cutting the stinger guarantees little. I would ream the shank or trade it to someone who will appreciate the collectability.

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Cutting the stinger guarantees little. I would ream the shank or trade it to someone who will appreciate the collectability.
Thanks. I will pass this pipe along to someone else I think. I can’t bring myself to cut it. It’s a beautiful pipe. Someone can do something with it. I’m not quite sure what the deal is with it but I’m sure someone can figure it out. Thanks.

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I will be sending this pipe back BTW. I will have spent a lot on shipping this back and forth to Japan. It’s kind of a wash. Oh well.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
I’ve have a way to open tight draw, 4-hole stinger KW’s. I take a dremel tool with a spherical bit & slightly enlarge the main hole atop the stinger body. Then I slightly oversize the 4 holes with a drill bit. Finally, I’ll funnel the button end of the stem. Finally, I’ll use an automotive polishing compound & a pipe cleaner to smooth out burrs. This has worked well for me.

There are numerous sized stinger bodies, making it tough to give drill bit measurements.

Reactions: milk

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I’ve have a way to open tight draw, 4-hole stinger KW’s. I take a dremel tool with a spherical bit & slightly enlarge the main hole atop the stinger body. Then I slightly oversize the 4 holes with a drill bit. Finally, I’ll funnel the button end of the stem. Finally, I’ll use an automotive polishing compound & a pipe cleaner to smooth out burrs. This has worked well for me.

There are numerous sized stinger bodies, making it tough to give drill bit measurements.
Kaywoodie 10.jpeg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Is that a shape #17? Looks like it’s a good size stinger body, I’ll call it a medium. Should be enough meat on that stinger to open it up.