PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Hi folks. I bought a 30s Kaywoodie from, perhaps, the most popular eBay auction for restored Kaywoodies. Normally his restorations are pretty good but his work on this stem is a problem. Compared to my other Kaywoodies, this stem seems pretty blocked. It’s not completely blocked but once you get tobacco in the pipe, it feels that way. Kaywoodies are tough because of the stinger. It’s hard to get a steel cleaner through as well because it’s so narrow but I’m going to try harder. Any other suggestions?

Aug 1, 2012
Hi folks. I bought a 30s Kaywoodie from, perhaps, the most popular eBay auction for restored Kaywoodies. Normally his restorations are pretty good but his work on this stem is a problem. Compared to my other Kaywoodies, this stem seems pretty blocked. It’s not completely blocked but once you get tobacco in the pipe, it feels that way. Kaywoodies are tough because of the stinger. It’s hard to get a steel cleaner through as well because it’s so narrow but I’m going to try harder. Any other suggestions?
It's not a churchwarden is it?

Reactions: milk

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Shine a light and see what is up. The regular fluff BJ Long cleaners usually go through no matter the era and size of hole. If it is only when you pack tobacco the airway where it meets the chamber may need a ream. Just some thoughts.
Thanks. I can get a pipe cleaner through fine. This is driving me a bit crazy. I’m not sure but I guess it just needs more reaming but in the stem? My other Kaywoodies have a more open draw. Something is wrong. A pipe cleaner goes through but it still seems like maybe there’s not an open enough draw.

Reactions: crashthegrey

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
It's not a churchwarden is it?
No. It’s just a Dublin shape. Something is wrong. Maybe it has a build up in the stem that allows for a pipe cleaner but still restricts the airway? I can get a pipe cleaner through the stinger but a loosely packed pipe doesn’t handle draw at all. I can blow through the bowl pretty well so the issue seems with the stem not being as open as my other Kaywoodies. Weird.

Reactions: captainsousie
Aug 1, 2012
No. It’s just a Dublin shape. Something is wrong. Maybe it has a build up in the stem that allows for a pipe cleaner but still restricts the airway? I can get a pipe cleaner through the stinger but a loosely packed pipe doesn’t handle draw at all. I can blow through the bowl pretty well so the issue seems with the stem not being as open as my other Kaywoodies. Weird.
The reason I asked was I had an old 4 digit churchwarden who's stem was drilled badly. Sold it to a friend at a heavy discount because of the problem and disclosed it. Might be worth trying a wire to see where the problem occurs. If it's a straight stem, you might be able to fix it with the right size drill but turned by hand.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Is the ball still on then end of the stinger?

You can always remove the stinger with heat, then clear/clean and reinsert/re-clock. I find my Kaywoodie 4-holes do have varying drafts, some more constricted than others. You never really know unless you pull the stinger. I also had a Four Digit Churchwardern that had a tight draw. I always assumed it was due to the length of the stem and the same size stinger hole, but who knows (it was too tight for me)

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Is the ball still on then end of the stinger?

You can always remove the stinger with heat, then clear/clean and reinsert/re-clock. I find my Kaywoodie 4-holes do have varying drafts, some more constricted than others. You never really know unless you pull the stinger. I also had a Four Digit Churchwardern that had a tight draw. I always assumed it was due to the length of the stem and the same size stinger hole, but who knows (it was too tight for me)
It still has the stinger. Removing it might be a bit beyond me but I’ll look into it.

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I'm going to try reaming some more. I hate to go to the nuclear option but I may clip off the stinger if I can't clear it more. I'm not good with the technical work of taking it off and putting it back on and I'm far away in Japan, too far to send it to someone to deal with. I'm a little disappointed with the ebay seller, who's one of the most popular ones, but I guess I can't blame him too much. He cleared the stem. A pipe cleaner goes through. It's just not an open enough draw to really smoke. Maybe that's why the pipe is in such beautiful condition. 444759939_464855642569284_572329013473493057_n.jpg

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
Have you tried using any of the bristle pipe cleaners through the stem. I have a few Kaywoodie's that will restrict due to the fluffy pipe cleaners building up inside them.

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Have you tried using any of the bristle pipe cleaners through the stem. I have a few Kaywoodie's that will restrict due to the fluffy pipe cleaners building up inside them.
I had run out so I ordered some of the wire ones and will try this tomorrow when they arrive. Thanks. Lets see if this is the issue.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I need to get a hold of just the right thickness. Any idea what it is exactly?
My question was silly. I ran a wire through it. Yeah, there doesn't seem to be any obstruction at all. And it's a not particularly dirty either.

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Shine a light and see what is up. The regular fluff BJ Long cleaners usually go through no matter the era and size of hole. If it is only when you pack tobacco the airway where it meets the chamber may need a ream. Just some thoughts.
I thought I'd turn back to a Kaywoodie expert. I ran a wire through this pipe. It goes through well. Pipe cleaners go through but the draw is tighter than my other 4-hole-stinger Kaywoodie. It's that slight bit tighter draw that makes all the difference when the pipe is full of tobacco. I'm going to try the wire brush when I get it but I'm feeling like it's not going to make a difference. I hate to cut the stinger. I'm wondering though, will cutting the stinger even fix the problem? Is it certain to open up the draw? I don't have good equipment. Will metal cable cutters sold on amazon work for cutting the stinger? I really hate to cut the stinger. I notice that this stinger is smaller than my thorn's.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I thought I'd turn back to a Kaywoodie expert. I ran a wire through this pipe. It goes through well. Pipe cleaners go through but the draw is tighter than my other 4-hole-stinger Kaywoodie. It's that slight bit tighter draw that makes all the difference when the pipe is full of tobacco. I'm going to try the wire brush when I get it but I'm feeling like it's not going to make a difference. I hate to cut the stinger. I'm wondering though, will cutting the stinger even fix the problem? Is it certain to open up the draw? I don't have good equipment. Will metal cable cutters sold on amazon work for cutting the stinger? I really hate to cut the stinger. I notice that this stinger is smaller than my thorn's.
Any scissor or side cutter type cutter will squish the aluminum closed before it cuts.
Is the shank to bowl draft clear?

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Any scissor or side cutter type cutter will squish the aluminum closed before it cuts.
Is the shank to bowl draft clear?
Yes. It’s very clear. I think the problem is a tight draw in the stem. The draft is clear from shank to bowl and a pipe cleaner goes through that way as well. I don’t have a shop or a lot of experience with tools. How do people usually cut the stingers? I might sell this thing. I wonder how ticked I should be at the restorer/seller (he’s billed as a top guy at this on eBay): not at all, a little, a lot.