PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
I would also recommend Crowleys best if Billy comes off too strong. Crowleys is a tic less in the strength dept.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
I ordered a pound of billy bud. Nothing really offends me, well except H&an obsidion.
I'm excited for a Saturday shipment and willl make sure I bring it along on a lazy river tubing trip this weekend.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Tried a bowl of Billy Budd again last night. Didn't go well. Might have been the pipe. Round two again tonight.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Tried a bowl of Billy Budd again last night. Didn't go well. Might have been the pipe.
Are you drying it out pretty well? How about bowl size ... larger, wider bowl?
Also ... while I enjoy it fresh, a year jarred up makes a big difference.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Are you drying it out pretty well? How about bowl size ... larger, wider bowl?
Also ... while I enjoy it fresh, a year jarred up makes a big difference.
OK, FWIW, I gave ol' Billy Bud more opportunity to impress me than perhaps any other blend I've tried on the kudos I've read for it in these pages. What I have has a very nice, rich smell in the bag, quite dry already. First night it produced a wet smoke that stank up the pipe. Awful. Next day I super cleaned the pipe even though I hadn't thought it dirty--- could it be the pipe? Second night, same thing--- a rank, bitter taste that grew worse as I smoked it, wet smoke--- I honestly want to throw the stuff out!
The next day the bowl still had that awful smell like something died down in there to the point that I gave the pipe a salt bath to exorcise it. I don't know if I even want to try to blend this stuff with other tobaccos in an attempt to wrangle something positive out of it.
I only bought an ounce, but I will put this stuff away for a long time and some day try again. Not an attack on anyone who says they love the stuff, I just don't understand how it can be so good to some people and so bad for others?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I just don't understand how it can be so good to some people and so bad for others?
Personal chemistry, natural environment (humidity/temp), and pipe type as well as smoking speed vary for people.
This is why not everyone loves Royal Yacht.... yet.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Maybe my problem was one of expectations
If you're coming up 'wet' in the bowl, you've got another problem. Cadence.

I find the presentation of the leaf to be coarse and nicely dried. It requires, perhaps, some compaction beyond other cuts in order to burn more slowly, too.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
It requires, perhaps, some compaction beyond other cuts in order to burn more slowly, too.
Thanks, NB, next time I try it, I will try packing it a little tight. It is dry enough that it might actually smoke better slowly that way.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
Billy Budd is one of my favorite blends. Full in balanced flavors without being overly strong. Never bites me but I do sometimes feel it in the back of my throat though I don't inhale. It's rich in feel and almost has a chalky quality to it IMO. Great stuff!

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
It occurred to me a little while ago thinking about why some blends wow some while turning off others, that I wonder if the answer lies in our body chemistry? Maybe it is possible that like foods, if we like acid foods (meets, milk, etc.), alkaline foods like veggies tend to turn us off and vise versa. I wonder if those who are heavy one-sided meat eaters tend toward the latakias and english blends, etc., more while people who eat more vegetables and fruits like sweeter virginias better?
Now I'm sure some cynical people will say who cares and to just smoke what you like and not bother with it, but to the moderators and more curious, maybe they can arrange a poll and willing people can post what they generally eat most and generally smoke most?
I will volunteer to tabulate the results to see if we can establish any correlation between diet and what we smoke. If there is the interest to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.