PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
How there are 40+ responses to this question amazes me… But I’ll nevertheless add my own, just in case it hasn’t been mentioned before:

Q-tips moistened with saliva, along with a damp paper towel.

I find that Q-tips allow you to really dig into char build-up in a helpful way. But you can’t be stingy with them; if you’re talking about months (or years!) of build-up, it may take six Q-tips (using both ends) for you to see much progress.

You just have to be mindful to always stick the “clean” end into your mouth to moisten.

PipeWI

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 30, 2023
Somerset WI
Add another vote for spit. But I use an old face cloth, sturdier than paper towel and the texture of the cloth helps the cleaning immensely. And yes, elbow grease!

Lyon0oq

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
Lots of ideas! But a note: "charring" is not happening with most folks, thank Heavens.
Yes, and you would think after 20+ years of smoking a pipe- "Don't fill it all the way to the top" would be an obvious way to avoid rim charring that I would already know... but my mental response was still "Oh, yeah, that's probably a good idea."

Reactions: Browny

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, and you would think after 20+ years of smoking a pipe- "Don't fill it all the way to the top" would be an obvious way to avoid rim charring that I would already know... but my mental response was still "Oh, yeah, that's probably a good idea."
That helps in keeping down lava, cake, accretion, what ever, but isn't the whole story. You have to hold the flame away and draw it down to the tobacco.

I am afraid most of us say "rim charring" when it's not that at all.

Reactions: dingdong

Lyon0oq

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
That helps in keeping down lava, cake, accretion, what ever, but isn't the whole story. You have to hold the flame away and draw it down to the tobacco.

I am afraid most of us say "rim charring" when it's not that at all.
I may be using the term incorrectly, yes.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
I’ve had some luck with cutting board “butter” … food grade mineral oil and beeswax. Just put a little on rim and polished with toilet paper or microfiber cloth.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
How there are 40+ responses to this question amazes me… But I’ll nevertheless add my own, just in case it hasn’t been mentioned before:

Q-tips moistened with saliva, along with a damp paper towel.

I find that Q-tips allow you to really dig into char build-up in a helpful way. But you can’t be stingy with them; if you’re talking about months (or years!) of build-up, it may take six Q-tips (using both ends) for you to see much progress.

You just have to be mindful to always stick the “clean” end into your mouth to moisten.
What I have been doing lately after being a non water flushing opponent forever is when the pipe is cool & I am done with it, if seeing a build up on the rim is to run it under the kitchen sink and rub the rim with my finger till the build up is gone. Short time, 3-5 minutes. dry everything with paper towels & pipe cleaners.
For decades used spit & q-tips.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I realize the above post is a joke but if you wife has makeup removal wipes they are great for cleaning pipes. They have mild solvents and at least the ones in this house are really durable when they are dry for things like wiping out bowls after a smoke. I dont use them on the outside of clean pipes becuse it would probably remove wax.

They are a nice mix of being very thin but absorbant and tough. I use a dry one repeatedly in the bowls after smoking. Paper towels are often too thick if they are decent and the thin ones rip up easily.

For restoration Id test on a beater pipe first to determine if/when it starts to remove color. Thats the case with most methods. Ive often had to recolor tops at least a little when doing super heavy cleaning. Its handy to have some dyes around.

Last edited: