PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Nobody really knows how much of the stuff remains, but it's a finite amount. So I'd like to sample the blends which use it before it's gone. I went to P&C and typed Syrian Latakia into their search and was a bit taken aback at the number of blends that utilize it. Obviously there are the Mac Barens, but beyond that what have you tried? What's worth buying? What are the "must haves" in your opinion?

P

pipebuddy

I don't know if they are a must as I have not tried them. But there are:
Ashton's Artisan Blend (it's advertised as having some in the tin description); and
McClelland's Three Oaks Syrian.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I have smoked a tin of Wilderness and I loved it. I just finished a tin of Samovar - really good stuff. I have stocked up on both of these and plan to add more. I have also stocked up some MacBaren Vintage Syrian and Tudor Castle too but have not tried them yet. The Wilderness and Samovar are not what you would call strong blends but they are very good.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
McClelland's Three Oaks Syrian is a fantastic blend. It's smooth, brilliantly balanced, very nuanced, and tastes amazing. At least that was my experience with it.

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
3OS is the first blend my wife said she enjoyed the scent of, so its got that going for it, which is nice...
Edit: Seriously - I share edwinbaz's sentiment. An excellent blend!

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I've only had the Macbaren HH and the McClelland Syrian full Balkan. Both are really, really yummy. If Assad had only smoked a pipe all this could have been avoided.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Is there bulk Syrian available anywhere? That could be really interesting. I have a sample of just "Latakia", provenance unknown. (local B+M)

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
SSHHHHHHHHHH!! :mrgreen:
Arno beat me to the punch (pun intended) and also has a great blog site: https://dutchpipesmoker.wordpress.com/
Careful though ... that's a rabbit hole and a half right there!
btw ... HH VS is a fantastic smoke

P

pipebuddy

Damnation I've just seen Arno's comment. That blows up most of my joke.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Not sure any blend has a higher proportion of syrian than Wilderness (35% if I recall).

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
Mac Baren HH Vinyage syrian, smoking my first bowl now. Amazing. Smoothest, easiest smoking Latakia blend I can remember smoking.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
There was a write up about syrian latakia a while back, i think by Pease. Maybe it was just a question/answer thing actually. Anyway, it was suggested there are blends put out that could have a token sprinkling of syrian latakia mixed into their cyprus stuff for marketing purposes (going off memory here, sorry to Greg if that memory is off track) and that if nothing else, the macbaren and mcclelland blends were legit since they both have an actual stockpile of the stuff.
I purchased a tin of 3 oaks and HH vintage syrian last year, but still have not cracked either so no review from me sorry.
Isaac

Status
Not open for further replies.