PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have only tried the McClelland 3 Oaks, and the Brebbia Balkan. 3 Oaks is smooth and mild. Brebbia Blakan is smooth, smoky, and a bit stronger. Neither has the sharpness or tang of most Cyprian Latakia blends, and I have tried a lot of them. I am smoking some 3 Oaks Syrian now, and it is amazing.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
Per told me at ipcpr that they bought up all the Syrian they could and it will last about 4 years from now. After that, who knows. He said they have not been able to communicate with the farmers in over two years, and they can't even verify that they are still alive.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
100g tins of HH Vintage Syrian are $17.95 at Milan Tobacconists. That's $3 less than P&C, SP or 4noggins. I added a few to my cellar.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
To my knowledge, Frog Morton Across the Pond no longer contains Syrian.
I'd encourage folks who've never had Syrian latakia to not let their tins age too much. In my experience, Syrian fades faster than Cypriot leaf. The flavors and floral aromas are far more delicate in Syrian.
Also be aware that vintages matter. I've honestly never had any Syrian that could compare to the leaf that Pease used in his Syrian blends. Even though other blenders bought that same leaf, their supplies have been aging for 15 years and the leaf today simply isn't the same. It's also easily overwhelmed if there's a large portion of Cypriot in the blend as well. Which means you won't get much Syrian flavor in a bowl of Gordon Pym; it'll be more prominent in, say, Brebbia's Preludio Mixture No. 60.
Just my personal take...

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Stanlaurel:
For me, I've noticed dramatic changes after about 5 years. After that, the characteristics I love about Syrian really fade away.

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
So rmbittner, effectively, you're saying Syrian is already a ghost that, like Elvis, has already left the room?
Plugugly

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
My hands are shaky and my knees are weak

I can't seem to stand on my own two feet

Who do you thank when you have such luck?

I'm in love

I'm all shekk-el-bint up

Mm mm oh, oh, yeah, yeah!
...sigh

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I s'pose the stock will dry up faster and faster as more and more people begin hoarding. A year ago Mac B had a 10 year supply, shortly thereafter it was 7-8 years and now it's 4 years. I'd expect it gone sometime next year.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Plugugly: I'm saying that that's pretty much true for me. Don't get me wrong: I still have lots of tins that include Syrian in my cellar -- many close to 10 years old now. That doesn't mean I'm throwing them out! I still enjoy the blends that include Syrian in the mix. My response was more directed at the OP, who was looking for examples of current Syrian blends so that he could get an understanding of the leaf.
If you really want to know how incredibly good Syrian latakia can be, get a time machine, go back to 2002, and pick up a fresh tin of GLPease's Bohemian Scandal. Just don't expect to pick up one of these older Syrians on eBay -- where you'll pay very high prices -- and expect to get anything like the original flavor; it's gone. And unlike many blends, in my opinion they do not age well.
Bob

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I've some tins of Vintage Syrian. It is a very good blend but, for me, doesn't really stand out from the crowd of Lat mixtures.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
I tried one bowl of HH VS the other day and it blew me away! I took a mental note to stock my cellar up from this heavenly mix. I was told there's enough stock to 2020 or maybe 2021. Obviously thats with current demand on mind. If people start to stock the blend knowing that Syrian Latakia won't come back on the scene for a while due to the war (or may not ever again!) the inventory could be depleted faster.
Does anyone know if FMOTB (on the bayou) has Syrian in it?

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I try and build my stock of Yenijde Highlander whenever possible. It's no powerhouse but its awfully good!Beside that, McClelland's Three Oaks Syrian, Wilderness and Rose of Latakia are fine examples too. Stay away from these blends. I am not done stocking up!
Mike S.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Arno, in a earlier post you said McConnell doesn't have any Syrian lat, so is this cyprian?
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/73355/mcconnells-pure-latakia/
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/mcconnell/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=3403
both sites state that it is Syrian, I'm confused.

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
Arno, in a earlier post you said McConnell doesn't have any Syrian lat, so is this cyprian?
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/73355/mcconnells-pure-latakia/
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/mcconnell/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=3403
both sites state that it is Syrian, I'm confused.
It is Cyprian latakia, both sites got it wrong.. Although.. This is interesting, this comes from the site of Kohlhase & Kopp: http://kohlhase-kopp.com/ceemes/tabak/robert-mcconnell/tabak-selbstmischen-750.html The tin clearly states Syrian Latakia.. Ok, I sometimes mail with Hans Wiedemann from HU Tobacco. A lot of his blends are produced by K & K (but created by Hans!). I asked him about the Syrian latakia in his blends, if it was the real stuff because it is so rare these days. So he asked K & K and DTM (who also produce tobaccos for Hans) and both admitted they no longer had it. That is all I know.

Perhaps K & K has a new batch from somewhere? Maybe they are lying now? Maybe they put one strand of Syrian with the Cyprian and call it Syrian? I don't know.. But I highly doubt they found a new batch of the Syrian dark leaf somewhere.

I mailed Hans, perhaps he knows more.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
The Russians are building an airfield at Latakia, Syria and are predicted to station a squadron there. Maybe Putin is worried about running out of 3 Oaks Syrian..... :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.