PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
[Paraphrased somewhat from something I posted elsewhere.] As I've said before, the stores of Syrian, when used up, are probably gone forever. The Syrians have not produced any in well over a decade, going on two. A lot of blends claiming to contain it do so suspiciously, at least to my nose. The McClelland blends are the real deal. A recent sample that I was given of another popular "Syrian" mixture smells distinctly of Cypriot leaf to me, though there may also be some small amount of Syrian in it, and it was, at one time, made with only the real thing. Perhaps they're cutting it to extend the life of their inventory? Dunno. Fact is, there are no labeling laws forcing manufacturers to tell the truth about the contents of their blends, so we have to rely on their integrity, and our own organoleptic evaluations. I suppose it's possible there may be some small amount of Syrian in many of the blends claiming its inclusion, but it's almost completely masqued, in so many cases, by that Cyprian smell. And, I suppose it can be easy to forget to change a label when the ingredients are changed. (The claim of Yenidje in Balkan Sobranie lasted quite a bit longer than Gallaher's use of the actual varietal, for instance.) I get that. The problem with identification is that a lot of folks have never experienced Syrian latakia in its pure form, so they're left to rely on what they've been told by the manufacturers.
Try one or more of the McClelland Syrian blends and get to know them. You'll never mistake Cyprian for Syrian once you've got that distinctive aroma engraved into your memory. The two are as different as oranges and grapefruits.

Reactions: drayve85

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
Thanks for the information Mr Pease. From what I know from earlier stuff you said there were at one point two manufacturers from which you were sure they had the real stuff: McClelland and MacBaren. In what you say above no direct mention of MacBaren..
A recent sample that I was given of another popular "Syrian" mixture smells distinctly of Cypriot leaf to me, though there may also be some small amount of Syrian in it, and it was, at one time, made with only the real thing. Perhaps they're cutting it to extend the life of their inventory? Dunno.
I think I can guess which blend that is.. But you can't say anything because the manufacturer is a site sponsor I guess..
I got mail from Hans Wiedemann by the way. He was very diplomatic. His K&K produced blends only have Cyprian latakia. That is all he wanted to say.

As a pipe smoker enthusiastic it saddens me that a lot of tobacco manufacturers are not open about the use of Syrian latakia. Therefore I respect manufactures like Mr Pease and DTM who just said, we don't have the real stuff any more and we can't get any more.

multuminparvo

Lurker
Aug 11, 2015
Does anybody know if Wellauer of Switzerland is still selling the real deal (100% pure Syrian Latakia)?
http://www.synjeco.ch/pataall/taba/4110.php?i5s52
last item on the page
Thank you

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Maybe I'm ignorant, but I haven't seen anywhere that Syrian Latakia will dry up due to the crisis. Or will it?
Frog Morton accross the pond is a fantastic blend IMO
Edit. I'm ignorant. Didn't read all the comments.

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
Does anybody know if Wellauer of Switzerland is still selling the real deal (100% pure Syrian Latakia)?
http://www.synjeco.ch/pataall/taba/4110.php?i5s52
last item on the page
Thank you
On my Syrian latakia blogpost I have the Wellauer blends listed. But I can't back that up to be honest.. It is more that I give them the benefit of the doubt. A few long-time tobacco manufacturers (like Motzek in Kiel) still have some small bit left of Syrian latakia. So why not Wellauer?

multuminparvo

Lurker
Aug 11, 2015
Thank you Arno
Well my plan is to get a decent amount of it for future years and cut it with other more mundane blends for added zest.
10% of it to a tin of Early Morning pipe or Squadron Leader gives you a much fuller experience.
I'm currently at 2.5 pounds but will probably double it in the next 18-24 months.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Bob, actually I've purchased a few tins of Bohemian from pipestud. Yes, that's a seriously great smoke!! Expensive no doubt, but after all I'd heard, I absolutely had to try myself. I also had a few of Ravens Wing. That was the most serious Latakia forward blend I've tried. The BS wasn't as much in your face as RW.

thedudeabides

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
The McConnell Latakia sure smells like Syrian to me. I bought a number of tins for blending purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.