Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
If you ever find yourself in Cardiff, Wales, make sure you visit The Bear Shop, in Wyndham arcade.

A great old fashioned tobacconist that sells everything smokers could want, whether pipe stuff, cigars or ciggies.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
In Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, there are two shops: Coeur d'Alene Pipe and Tobacco (formerly, Prim's Smoke Shop)downtown. Small shop with limited selection. It once was the best shop in town for both pipes and cigars, but now seems more of a "tobacco" gift shop. There is no place to smoke on site.

Second option is the Bulldog Pipe and Cigars. Keeps a decent selection of pipes on hand (given the size of our small community). Has a modest selection of house bulk tobacco as well as some tins. Also has an attached lounge. Despite being located in a mall, the owner has done a decent job of making it a comfortable place. The lounge generaly is about a mix 50/50 of pipes and cigars.
jojoc

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sablebrush52, is the original Tinder Box gone? I second the California shops, Telford's near SF and Carmel Pipe Shop in Carmel-by-the-Sea, South of Monterey. Telford's has tons upon tons of new and used pipes; expect to spend at least an hour if you want to see everything, and if you don't see what you want, ask (I asked about unusual corncobs, and they dug out a short H. Tibbe pipe that's the same as the long ones on the MM museum's diamond-shaped 1904 wall display!) The Carmel Pipe Shop is teeny-tiny but has some nifty stuff.
Yes, the Tinderbox in LA closed about a year ago, and not long after, Kramer's shut its door.
Carmel Pipe Shop does carry some estates, and are top notch folks. There are two pipe shops in Monterey, one fairly new next to a venerable old restaurant, The Sardine Factory. (The Humidor) Hellam's, the oldest shop in CA for tobacco, has a new lounge, but not much by way of pipes or selections of tinned tobacco. (A dozen or so blends in jars) Humidor carries some very top end pipes, and some estates, and Esotericas from time to time.)

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
jpmcwjr, what's the new place in Monterey like? The old place, I visited, and yes, there were no pipes, and little pipe tobacco. The best thing they had was a sign reading, "This is a work-free smoke environment."

yuda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2017
Sanctuary Tobacco Shop in San Luis Obispo is where I got my start and I look forward to getting ththe chance to go back. There is also one on State Street in Santa Barbara that was also very nice to visit, and Shah a tin of Frog Morton from. I need to get off base more.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
@jojoc I'll second Bulldog Pipe & Cigar in Coeur d'Alene, in fact I'm in the lounge typing this smoking some Grousemoor in a Falcon
What in the world are you doing inside smoking on a beautiful day like today?! Take that pipe outside and enjoy! Nice to know there is another local on here.

oldgnome

Lurker
May 23, 2019
I live just outside of Tampa, FL and what I have discovered so far leads me to believe this is a pipe smokers' wasteland. A few cigar shops, but few of them pay any attention to pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Those of us in the provinces lucky enough to have a local independent pipe shop can take comfort in that the New York City area, though it has a few major pipe shops in Manhattan has no shops, or head shops, or generally pipe-free shops out around the burroughs. Chicago has Iwan Ries on Wabash, but none of the newsstand outlets that used to sell mid-grade pipes and a good variety of OTC blends, pipe cleaners and pipe tools, all over the downtown. Some of the newssstands were on the sidewalks but others were in the lobbies of large office buildings and hotels, with glass counters a a good selection, and speedy service if you knew what you wanted.

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Here in western Virginia I am fortunate to have Blacksburg Pipe & Tobacco about a 4 block walk from my office, and Milan Brothers in Roanoke is only a 40 minute drive.
I also made an effort to stop by Boswell's in Chambersburg PA last weekend on my trip to northern PA. I was not able to get there before their closing time of 6:00pm, but they graciously stayed open on a Friday afternoon so I could pay a first time visit. I dropped off a Nording freehand for stem replacement and picked up about $100 worth of tins in gratitude. They were truly awesome, and I received the Nording in the mail last night with new Lucite stem.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
jpmcwjr, what's the new place in Monterey like? The old place, I visited, and yes, there were no pipes, and little pipe tobacco. The best thing they had was a sign reading, "This is a work-free smoke environment."

Sorry just saw this. The Humidor is pretty upscale in terms of pipes and tobaccos. Nice quarters, and I believe they have a lounge which I've not seen.

Hellam's has remodeled but draws mostly cigar smokers, at least based on their meagre offerings of tobaccos and pipes. Nice spot, though.

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
In Eastern Washington there is only one true pipe store which is Tobacco World. Been open since 1974. 50-70 new pipes probably 40 estate pipes, 40 jars of bulk and all the major brand tins.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

adam12

May 16, 2011
In the area: Mayan Imports in New Orleans, Country Squire in Jackson MS, and a new cigar shop in Hattiesburg MS that just opened

Not in the area: McCranies, Corona Cigars in Orlando, Iwan Ries, and Draper in DC are faves

Reactions: JR1296

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
El Fumador (Pittsburgh / Sewickley) is 2 hrs away, and Allegheny Smoke Works (Oakmont, PA).

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
In the New Orleans, La. area the best is Mayan Imports in Metairie. Mayan Imports has two other locations in New Orleans - one in the French Quarter and one on Magazine Street, but those two cater more to the cigar smoker. The one in Metairie has about a 50/50 mix of cigars and pipes. We hold the monthly meeting of the New Orleans Pipe Club there. It has a large smoking lounge, a smaller VIP smoking lounge and a covered patio next to the front door for when the weather is nice.
I live in Biloxi and we visit downtown Nola from time to time. I've thought about visiting Mayan next time we're over there, do they carry a decent selection pipes or pipe tobacco at all?

Reactions: adam12

adam12

May 16, 2011
I live in Biloxi and we visit downtown Nola from time to time. I've thought about visiting Mayan next time we're over there, do they carry a decent selection pipes or pipe tobacco at all?
Dude. Their pipe selection is amazing. Their tin selection is out of this world.

Status
Not open for further replies.