PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
While conversatin’ with the old lady, we went through the planned trips we have for 2019. We will be heading to a few cities in the US this year and one trip to Europe. She is a good sport about me visiting a smoke shop for a day while she does her girly things around town. It made me wonder if any of you had suggestions of a pipe shop near you.
I had a buddy tell me to visit Peretti’s while I was in Boston and to try their Cuban Mixture and 432 blends. I did and now they are part of my “TAD 12”. (The 12 blends I jar and smoke regularly).
What is your reccomendation for folks visiting your area? Why do you like it and is there a house blend that you recommend others try?

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I live in Denver and I pass about half a dozen marijuana dispensaries on my way to my local pipe shop.That is a different topic for another day. We have lost at least four decent tobbaconists in the last 10 years and we may be losing more with the FDA regulations coming.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
A better question would be are there any pipe shops in your area?
The Village Cigar Shop has locations in Burlington and Oakville and have a very modest selection of tobaccos and a few Brigham pipes. That's all I have around here.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
In Maryland, I can hang my hat at Boswells (PA), 20 miles North or JB Hayes (VA), 30 miles South. Both great shops. They are few and far between these days.
Baltimore use to have several Faders, now all closed.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
@mikethompson have you been to casa Del humidor in Rama? Decent selection of pipes and an okay selection of tobacco. The Humidor in Woodbridge has some older stock of tins, and Celebrity tobacco in Oakville also has a good selection of tins, not as many pipes though.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
In the New Orleans, La. area the best is Mayan Imports in Metairie. Mayan Imports has two other locations in New Orleans - one in the French Quarter and one on Magazine Street, but those two cater more to the cigar smoker. The one in Metairie has about a 50/50 mix of cigars and pipes. We hold the monthly meeting of the New Orleans Pipe Club there. It has a large smoking lounge, a smaller VIP smoking lounge and a covered patio next to the front door for when the weather is nice.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In central eastern N.C., in Raleigh N.C., I recommend Pipes by George, logistically located between the downtown with its museums and some good restaurants (really) and the NCSU campus on Hillsborough St., and also not far from the NC Museum of Art which is somewhat above a regional art museum, better than some in cities much larger than Raleigh. PBG is an atmospheric, rustic, plank floor storefront, but with an excellent built-by-hand humidor, a wall of pipes, and an array of pipe blends. Cigars and pipes are equally featured. George is a pro and knows pipes and leaf in some depth. lt doesn't sound like you're getting down here, but anyone who finds him/herself in this area, this is the place, along with the TAPS pipe show at the Fairgrounds in April.

Reactions: kens

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
This one is close to me, about a 1/2 hour away. They have a great selection of pipes and tinned tobacco's. I try to get in there about once a month to give them some business, even if it's just buying a tin of tobacco.
Briar and Burley

rogerrodger

Lurker
Dec 7, 2018
Cigar Chateau, Wichita Kansas. The store has a helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly staff, and good selection of various pipes and accessories from different manufacturers. I got my first Savinelli basket pipe there, which is a great smoker, as well as my first cob. Later I got a Peterson Derry Rusticated apple 408 on the recommendation of the manager. His recommendations for tobacco have been very helpful to a beginner like me.
They have a great house blend:"C.C. House Blend". It is a very popular aromatic, highly recommended. I believe they sell more than any other house blend nationally, maybe internationally.
They have a smoking lounge that is incredible--high ceiling, leather chairs and couches, a large tv that is not turned up loud, various books around the room, including a Bible, clean ashtrays with cork knockers, complimentary matches, butane lighters at most tables, reading lamps. The ashtrays, wastebaskets, and tables are cleaned at least twice an hour by the staff, so that the lounge is spotless. A great place for cigar and pipe smokers. Cigar Chateau Unfortunately, they do not sell online. But if you are in the Wichita area, I would suggest you stop by and check the store out. They are located on the East side of Wichita.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The Pipe Puffer is on the South Side of Indianapolis which is 45 minutes away from me. It is an okay shop, tins are usually $17 to $20 and the selection is modest.
I spend a lot more time at two shops already mentioned, Pipes by George in Raleigh and The Briary in Birmingham as I travel to both areas once per quarter.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
B & B: One of the world class stops for any pipe lover. And in a beautiful city. Zounds!
Edit: It's tiny, but they make great pipes in the back room, and you can shake the hand of the man who made your new pipe.....

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
roger, I've lived in mid-Kansas for many years and was unaware there were any decent shops in Wichita. Used to be a good one in Topeka and may still be a good one in Olathe and that's probably it for the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.