PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Wolf357

Lurker
Jun 23, 2021
Manitoba Canada
Anyone know if taxes on tobacco are high in Germany?
I lived in Germany in the early 2000s so things could have changed in 20+ years… however Tobacco was insanely cheap and it seemed everyone smoked…So this was before I smoked a pipe so I can’t tell you Pipe tobacco prices but a pack of Marlboros was 1 Mark or just about $1.00 and you could buy them on every street corner in cigarette machines …there seemed to be tobacco continence/newspaper shop kiosks everywhere as well…in the bars Wine barrels full of matches for people to take free matches for their tobacco needs…Again 20+ years ago so not sure what it’s like now.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
I lived in Germany in the early 2000s so things could have changed in 20+ years… however Tobacco was insanely cheap and it seemed everyone smoked…So this was before I smoked a pipe so I can’t tell you Pipe tobacco prices but a pack of Marlboros was 1 Mark or just about $1.00 and you could buy them on every street corner in cigarette machines …there seemed to be tobacco continence/newspaper shop kiosks everywhere as well…in the bars Wine barrels full of matches for people to take free matches for their tobacco needs…Again 20+ years ago so not sure what it’s like now.

Maybe you’ve been in the GDR, I don’t know about prices up there. Marlboro for 1.00 Mark????

Fact is In 2000 the anti smoking campaign had been established in the the 1990s years. The „smoking is dangerous“ warning had already been shown up by law.

In 1960 in West Germany a packet of 20 cigarettes cost 1.50 Deutsche Mark. 1 US dollar was 4 DM in those times.

In the year 2000 you paid for 20 cigarettes already 4,90 DM, i have been smoking at that time. 50 grams half zware shag i used for Ryo was about 4.50 DM. One US dollar was about 1.70 DM. One year later it was 5.20 DM for cigs. In January 2002 the Euro came 2.80 Euros for 20 cigs.

In 2010 the price for 20 was 4.90 Euros. Now it 👩‍💻 is 7. Euros 20 percentage is tobacco tax.

One kilogram pipe Tobacco is now 24,00 Euro tax per Kilogram.