PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipe smokers are a rare breed and tend toward being independent if not downright introverted. So it is difficult for them to jungle-up in happy groups.

I like the old video and photographs of the Senate Watergate hearings with some of the Senators clenching pipes in their mouthes. The Oppenheimer documentary had film of him smoking his pipe, and I think maybe a shot of Einstein with his.

I wonder if pipe smokers have appeared at any city council meeting anywhere petitioning for consideration for smoking areas in parks or other public areas. I'd be surprised.

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
Yes... I'm sure it was a paradise... If you don't think so we have people who would like to talk to you, Comrade. I mean if we have the ability to time travel how about mid century London

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Okay, boys, all I was doing was referring to the availability of tobacco in Havana not referring to their political system.

Just a small biographical note, I lived in Key West in the late 50's and got to watch a number of people get shot to death by firing squads on the evening news. Good viewing for a 12-year-old boy.

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Okay, boys, all I was doing was referring to the availability of tobacco in Havana not referring to their political system.

Just a small biographical note, I lived in Key West in the late 50's and got to watch a number of people get shot to death by firing squads on the evening news. Good viewing for a 12-year-old boy.
The availability of tobacco in Cuba, at least today, can be tricky. Most of the tobacco offered to tourists is counterfeit.

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
A third of the tin selection that was in this great pipe shop found in Munich. My trip to Munich last year highlighted how great German tobacconists are and their passion for the pipe. The best city in the world I have visited so far for a pipe lover!
Man that looks like it’s be a blast! I’ve never been abroad anywhere very pipe-centric at all.
maybe it’s just a cliche mental image, but I always think of the UK as prime pipe country

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'd say it would be hard to beat Bethlehem PA, home to The Wooden March (cigar bar and restaurant, smoke inside out on the patio), and the nearby Cigats Unlimited Super Store (likely the best lounge on East Coast), plus a small cigar shop downtown. And, it's always Christmas there

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I can tell you it ain’t anywhere in Australia.

Strict anti-smoking laws mean no smoking in indoor venues or public parks.
You can smoke in the street if you are prepared to put up with glares or pretend hacking coughs
Rooftop bars are usually cigars only
And you have to put up with the smell of cigarettes in beer gardens

• Sad
Reactions: AroEnglish

The Pipe Professor

Might Stick Around
May 14, 2016
Kentucky
thepipeprofessor.com
Id wager there are at least a handful of metropolitan cities in the SouthEast US that are amenable.

There are several shops/lounges in the Louisville/Southern Indiana area that have wonderful selections of tobacco and pipes (and cigars of course), allow you to smoke in their lounge in comfort, and have good food readily available.

Between Kentucky, Tennessee, the Carolinas, and Mississippi there must be a couple dozen shops of varying size and scope.
I’m in Kentucky. What shops in Louisville are you referring to? In Lexington we have Schwabs Pipes & Tobaccos and Jake’s Cigar Bar. Although a bourbon and cigar establishment, Jake’s allows pipe smoking.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
In louisville proper, Kremers is terrific. Leaf and Cedar out on Smyrna Rd is decent too.
Now if you cross over in to So In, The Office in the Knobs is very comfy and amenable.
Match and Riverside are both in Jeffersonville.
I assume you live closer to Lexington?
The Derby City Pipe Club gathers most Saturdays in Louisville. When the weather is nice we usually go to Kremers and sit on the back deck.

novaki

Lurker
Apr 4, 2020
Meridian, MS
I remember reading some statistic from somewhere stating that almost half of Scandinavian men smoke a pipe. With STG being one of the biggest names in tobacco, I assume it would have enough infrastructure to support B&Ms and pipe shops. Probably get fewer funny looks if you're walking down the street and having a smoke.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
I remember reading some statistic from somewhere stating that almost half of Scandinavian men smoke a pipe. With STG being one of the biggest names in tobacco, I assume it would have enough infrastructure to support B&Ms and pipe shops. Probably get fewer funny looks if you're walking down the street and having a smoke.

That statistic must have been old. This message published just a minute ago in a german newspaper mirrors what’s happening now: „In Sweden, smokers are no longer allowed to light up cigarettes in the outdoor areas of restaurants. On Monday, a new tobacco law for public places came into force in Scandinavia. Public playgrounds, bus stops and train platforms, among other places, are also covered by the extended smoking ban. The regulations also apply to e-cigarettes. The Swedish health authority sees this as an important step for the health of the population. It is also intended to reduce passive smoking.“

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I'm pretty much a city kid, suburban raised but always near a metropolis. But my guess would be that smaller towns and cities probably have pockets of pipe smokers that make their own community where it's always welcoming to pipe smoking.

Maybe down there near Myrtle Beach, S.C., where smoking pipes.com is located. I think the larger cities have pretty much regulated smoking. Manhattan still has a real pipe shop or two, and Chicago still has Iwan Ries, but in terms of having a welcoming spirit, big cities don't have that for pipe smoking.

The Lake District in UK is probably tolerant of old fellas with their pipes, being the home to the Lakeland blenders. You probably wouldn't be bothered, and you might even be befriended.

It reminds me of the song from "The Sound of Music," titled if I remember correctly, "Somewhere A Place For Us."
Actually from "West Side Story" I believe.

Reactions: UB 40
Cologne also has several good shops.

You would think London would be on the list of the best. Sorry, it's not on my list. A couple of times when I was there I visited several shops which had large selections of pipes and tobaccos. After looking around for a while I asked if they had any Castellos. In every case, not only did they not have any, which I can understand, but they all acted like they never heard of them. Yeah, right! What a bunch of b.s. that was. I'll finish my rant by thanking my great, great grandfather for leaving that town an immigrating to the United States. puffy
Yeah London is amazing for cigars but not so much pipes!