PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Of the three I've tried over the last decade, the only one I loved was Blood Red Moon. Intense cherry chocolate aroma and flavor. But burns smooth w/ no bite. Most aros I've had, bite. The only one I used to smoke before BRM was Villiger Mid-day pipe and that didn't bite. Neither does BRM, which I only tried for the first time this month. Prompted me to buy a tin each of all the Cult blends.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I do like the Boswell Cherry Smash as mentioned previously, but have not had it in a while. Based on this thread (Thanks for putting me in a cherry sate of mind!), I'm going to fire up a bowl this afternoon. Enjoy all--
I received a sample of Boswell's Cherry Smash tobacco with the beautiful Boswell Fluted Scoop pipe that I ordered from him last fall. The pipe is awesome, but I really did not enjoy the Cherry Smash and has a horrible experience with. It's aroma and flavor are horrendous and it really did a number on me. I was only able to smoke it for a few minutes before I had to dump the bowl, brush my teeth, take a shower, gargle with Bourbon, have some snacks and a little beer to further wash out my mouth, pop two Ibuprofen, and finally lay down. I was still not feeling well the next day. Boswell Cherry Smash is only tobacco that I've actually had to promptly dump and had such an obvious effect on me. Maybe I was just a super lightweight at the time and this was all due to the nicotine, but it was a visceral experience in that my body seemed to instantly reject it and I remember still feeling bad the next day. It's ironic because the tag line for the Boswell Cherry Smash on the web site is, "Cherry Smash has the power to stir memories of moments lost in time," but instead it had the opposite affect on me in that a terrible memory was created and caused me to loose an entire night of time!

I tried the Boswell's Cherry Smash a second time, but mixed it 50/50 with some Lane BCA thinking that it might tamp down the nicotine (if that was indeed the problem) and smooth out the cherry. No luck on either count. I ended up giving the jar to my neighbor who has yet to try it. I mostly gravitate toward English/Balkans and low strength blends, but I do also aromatic blends with just about any else other than cherry. Apparently, cherry tobacco is just not my thing. I'd be willing to try others in the future, but I'm just not willing to actually pay money for any of them at this point.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
I know I ought to stay out of this because I’m not an aromatics smoker, but my limited experience with aros involves Mac Baren’s Cherry Ambrosia. If I recall correctly, its flavoring is imparted differently from other brands’ cherries. I found it very enjoyable, and am a little surprised it escaped mention here so far.
003-039-0045.jpg

Cherries don't taste much like things that are cherry flavored.
Try tasting some cherries... black cherries are the sweetest, but don't have a lot of fruity flavor. Maraschino cherries, taste like a fruit berry, but not like a real cherry to me. Then there are hundreds of varieties that taste to different degrees... cherryish. But, things with cherry flavor, like candies, drinks, etc... taste like something meant to simulate the way cherries cooking smell. IMO

I haven't found a cherry tobacco that tastes like actual cherries to me. They all seem to have an artificial cherry taste. But, I am more partial to the raw berry than cherry candies or cooked pastries.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Not yet. Decades ago when I first tried Borkum Riff it was hot, but now when smoked slowly it's soft as a kitten.
yeah it's funny when you get the cadence thing down (which is pretty easy just counter intuitive) the idea of bite and rough mostly disappears. You know bite becomes what pipes do under surprise near tornado conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.