PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I've got a quarter pound of Newminster 400 in a jar in the back of my cellar. It has about 6 months on it now, so I'm going to let it mellow. I haven't even tried it yet. Before I break into that, Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake is my go-to.
But if you don’t try it right out of the gate how do you grade the change? You might love it “fresh”.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Out of the Navy Flakes, Virginias, and other VaPers that I've tried, I tend to like them with age. So I bought this planning on aging it for a couple of years. When I am ready to open the jar, my plan is to buy some fresh Newminster 400 so I can do a side-by-side comparison.
Definitely some delayed gratification. I like Virginia’s with some age on them as well. I just bought and jarred 8 oz of Newminster 400. Got some with a year plus I’m smoking now.
Maybe you can score some aged baccy and start enjoying some sooner?

Bobby Bailey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 8, 2021
Upper Southwest Arkansas, USA
Hello all, I know alot of you have been smoking much longer then I, so instead of buying an ounce of all the different bulk flakes (which ill probably still end up doing). I wanted to get some of your opinions. I've only tried PS LNF and Stokkebyes Evening Flake, I enjoy both but is there better? I'd like to hear what you o'l timers have to say.
For me, any of the Watch City Va. blends.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
For me, any of the Watch City Va. blends.
@Bobby Bailey , you might be the right person to ask...

I recently bought 4oz of #558 from watch city. I'm struggling to get past that pouch note. It smells like fertilizer to me. I really enjoy Virginias and VaPers, and 558 is so highly regarded, I was sure I'd love it too. That smell tho.

Do all the WCC Virginias smell like that? Will that smell settle down with time?

I've enjoyed plenty of VAs from other blenders, but I've never had one smell quite like 558. I'm kinda shocked by this one.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I myself didn't happen to love Sutliff 507, but I'd be perfectly content with it if it's all I had. And YMMV.

Don't love LNF either (although LBF is very good after at least a year).

For flakes I love, Opening Night can be had by the 8 oz. and HH Pure VA can be had by the 16 oz. and Newminster 400 is bulk.
I'd be happy for the rest of my life with just those three.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Hello all, I know alot of you have been smoking much longer then I, so instead of buying an ounce of all the different bulk flakes (which ill probably still end up doing). I wanted to get some of your opinions. I've only tried PS LNF and Stokkebyes Evening Flake, I enjoy both but is there better? I'd like to hear what you o'l timers have to say.
I have six pounds of PS LNF aging and I’m down to about a pound I’m smoking on.

Luxury Navy Flake reminds me of an old nostril nosed high twangy country song, but most things in life do.:)

Fo0zle

Lurker
Jan 22, 2023
Western N.C.
A bag of that just got delivered today. It will be my first straight Virginia. Thus far I’ve only had it in English Blends.

Pretty stoked :sher:
So I gave it a shot in a brand new corn cob. I enjoyed it but found it… VERY light.

I came back inside and I feel like my hands and clothes smell like I just smoked a hand rolled cigarette lol.

It’s very different from what I was expecting. It resembled a cigarette so much that I felt weird NOT inhaling it. Haha. I used to roll my own cigarettes with the light blue American Spirit blend and this felt familiar 😆

Are Virginia blends normally like that?

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

MikeDub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2022
SoCal
Everyone’s tastes are different and I’ve never tried 507-C, but that was my first experience with VA’s as well. I felt like I may as well been smoking a cigarette and I wasn’t impressed. I thought everyone was crazy with how much praise they got.

Then my smoking cadence and packing improved, and now I reach for VA’s 80+% of the time. I still enjoy burleys, aro’s, and the occasional English blend but if all I had was VA’s I’d be absolutely ok with that.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
I didn’t see Stokkebye PS400 Luxury Navy Flake mentioned, not sure how it rates, along with this, I also bought some Newminster #400 Superior, can’t wait to try them both.
It was, just abbreviated, the #400 Superior is my next bulk purchase. What I've been doing is mixing about 60% LNF rubbed out with 20% long cut perique chopped but still chunkier then the granulated stuff. It has a really great taste if you have those blends give it a try.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
My Newminster 400 came looking like the shake out of the bottom of the barrel, and quite dry. So I contacted where I purchased it, and asked they please send me some nice flakes.

1BA66F01-C9E7-418D-B534-9799272F8B83.jpeg

Also the Stokkebye PS 400 Luxury Navy Flake, came as broken up flakes, and a bit dry, and asked if they would also send me some nice flakes.

EB7D5DC2-2D68-43C0-90F4-84E1C4E85A1D.jpeg

I know this isn’t expensive tobacco, but it’s my understanding these come as nice flakes. 🤔