PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Hello all, I know alot of you have been smoking much longer then I, so instead of buying an ounce of all the different bulk flakes (which ill probably still end up doing). I wanted to get some of your opinions. I've only tried PS LNF and Stokkebyes Evening Flake, I enjoy both but is there better? I'd like to hear what you o'l timers have to say.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
Don't know about "better", but Newminster #400 Navy Flake is pretty damn good. Especially with a little age.

I also like PS LNF, and I have lots of it in the cellar. It is a remarkably different blend after a little age. For the better in my opinion.

GH Best Brown Flake #2 is another good one in bulk if you can find it.

Happy searching!

MikeDub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2022
SoCal
If you consider 8 oz cans bulk - and I do - C&D Opening Night & GL Pease Union Square are both phenomenal VA flakes. I don’t really care for VaPer’s so I don’t have any suggestions for those.

If by bulk you mean available by the oz, I’d agree with most of the suggestions already given

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
Just curious. How do you know how old the bulk tobacco you bought is? I didn’t think to ask the b&m. And it obviously doesn’t have the tin date stamp. Is there a rule of thumb with store jars and how old their stuff is? I bought both the PS LNF and PS Lbullseye

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I enjoy both but is there better? I'd like to hear what you o'l timers have to say.
One person's ***** blend may be another's *

By all means get recommendations.
But you still need to decide for yourself. You need to work out what YOU like

I would not buy 1lb of a blend on someone's recommendation unless I know that we have similar tastes

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
One person's ***** blend may be another's *

By all means get recommendations.
But you still need to decide for yourself. You need to work out what YOU like
I would just add that bulk tobacco is relatively inexpensive, so picking up a bunch of different blends isn't necessarily a tall order.

SPC has a great search function and the bulk blends can be found at various sites.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I would just add that bulk tobacco is relatively inexpensive, so picking up a bunch of different blends isn't necessarily a tall order.
In the US, EU and UK, and indeed a lot of countries, tobacco is still very cheap
Not so in Oz or Kiwiland.
I'm just about to put in an order for a 100Gm (4oz) tin. Price is AUD $289 :eek:
Its a HUGE decision to stock up 1 lb of anything
Costly mistake if it's not to your taste.
Or you decide that there is something you like more. :cry:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
In the US, EU and UK, and indeed a lot of countries, tobacco is still very cheap
I'm just about to put in an order for a 100Gm (4oz) tin. Price is AUD $289 :eek:
Man....289AUD IS 203 USD. I can get almost 4 lbs of the most expensive of my favorite blends for that price.

Alcohol cheap there?

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Depends on what kind of Virginia you like. If you lean towards the yellow/bright then Newminster No. 400 and Sutliff 507C are the best bang for your buck. With the former being especially graham cracker-y.

If you lean toward the reds you're going to have a harder time. Maybe something like GH&Co. Best Brown Flake but that's more middle of the road than a true red flake to my taste. Still great though.

I'll be interested to see if anyone can recommend smaller B&M fare like Watch City's 558 Flake and LJP's 150th Anniversary Flake. I've tried 558 but not enough to give an opinion on it.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Man....289AUD IS 203 USD. I can get almost 4 lbs of the most expensive of my favorite blends for that price.

Alcohol cheap there?
You can get bottles of 2-buck chuck but alcohol is again quite highly taxed here in Oz.

Some years ago the Government legislated to impose a 15% GST (Goods and Services Tax) - the equivalent of UK's VAT.
Someone working in the Tax Department worked out that there would be a huge shortfall in tax revenue levied on alcohol at 15%
So in its wisdom they came up with the WET - Wine Equalisation Tax. To claw back all the monies they would have lost under the 15% GST

For instance, a 700ml bottle of Wild Turkey is AUD $55 and Makers Mark is AUD $59

Imported wine prices (eg French and USA) are significantly higher in Oz than in the USA
I do realise that due to state taxes, prices can vary quite a bit

But the Oz (anti-) Fun Police are out to see that we don't have too much fun.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Those prices are insane. I won't complain quite so much when I next have to pay £20 for a 50g tin.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Hello all, I know alot of you have been smoking much longer then I, so instead of buying an ounce of all the different bulk flakes (which ill probably still end up doing). I wanted to get some of your opinions. I've only tried PS LNF and Stokkebyes Evening Flake, I enjoy both but is there better? I'd like to hear what you o'l timers have to say.
I’m curious how you define a navy flake. “Navy flake” has had a variety of official definitions in the past; nowadays it can simply refer to a flake cut. But it can also refer to a flake that includes rum—which is how I define it for myself, since I really enjoy those flakes. (If it doesn’t have rum in it, I’m at a loss as to what makes a plain flake “navy.” Seems that some manufacturers treat it as just a name for a flake these days.)

I don’t know if it qualifies as a bulk to you, but you can pick up Samuel Gawith’s Navy Flake in 8oz boxes. It is, by far, my favorite navy flake: a Virginia base with just a condimental touch of latakia and a rum topping.

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
I've got a quarter pound of Newminster 400 in a jar in the back of my cellar. It has about 6 months on it now, so I'm going to let it mellow. I haven't even tried it yet. Before I break into that, Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake is my go-to.