PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Just off subject and out of curiosity, did you take your screen name from the song or the actual meaning?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
So I don’t think I will be waiting months for a shipment from germany, or worrying about email alerts for blends that sell out in thirty seconds, and certainly will never pay 80 or 90 dollars for a tin of buterra pelican as i recently saw listed on this site. And do I really need to plan for a tobaccopalypse by buying 10x the amount of tobacco I will smoke in my lifetime?
I never have understood any of that.
I returned to my pipe in the early part of this century, after some years smoking only cigars. Nobody was worried about deeming or tobaccopalypse or any of that. None of the movies that got some people interested in pipe smoking had been released, yet. It was really easy to find SG or Esoterica because nobody was worried about not being able to buy tobacco. I was hanging out on the old Yahoo Pipesmokers2 list, with guys like the late Joe Harb and John Offerdahl. I asked questions, they replied, and as I started exploring Virginias for the first time, I bought two tins of a new to me blend, one to smoke now, and another to save, to try this "aging" stuff. (I still try new blends that way.)
I have no idea how many pounds of tobacco I have, and really don't give a rat's patoot. I do have a spreadsheet I use for tracking, but don't keep totals. I still try new blends, but I find there are enough that are relatively easy to obtain that I don't chase after the hot new ones. I still buy new pipes, but not lots. I don't think I have ever bought more than five tins of a single blend at one time.
I deplore the entire culture of fear and greed that has overtaken this hobby. I don't think of myself as a codger, but I can certainly be curmudgeonly.
Oh - and to heck with threads about "manliness". As far as I am concerned, worrying about what is "manly" just means you aren't an adult yet. puffy

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Codger blends are smoked by any and all manner of persons, of either sex. And I suppose by the dozens of other "sexual orientations" that have been birthed in the last decade or so.

As to being a codger, there've been a number of mentions of curmudgeonliness. As a lad, all the folks I.D.'ed as codgers were kind, and harmless. I don't know and don't much care what the definition is now, so get off my lawn!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
6 yrs ago I went to the drug store and bought a cob to smoke my ryo bagged ohm tobacco w/o papers.
I didn't know know you weren't supposed to inhale.
Once I found this site, and the youtube pipe smoking community...well...I wanted to try all the blends and I did try a lot those first few years.
It took awhile before I even referred to blends like Carter Hall, Sir Walter Raleigh, or Prince Albert as codger blends, only because I hadn't read the opinion that all tobaccos are actually over the counter, or OTC.
We codgers get hung up on semantics betimes.
Now that I have a handle on what I'm doing, tasting and attempting to do and taste, I keep it much more simple.
I did recently pick up a new blend to me...and found it to fit this genre perfectly and with great pleasure, and that's the burley of 5 Brothers tobacco. I seem to taste a hint of the same flavor as with Match Edgeworth Ready Rub.
Well..there are similar flavors in CH, PA, and SWR, but supposedly, 5 Bros is just tobacco?
I would be perfectly happy smoking a corn cob all the time...or more specifically a rotation of about 12 MM Prides.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
While I still lack the appreciation of those nasty codger blends, I have been smoking mostly Stokkebye's Cube Cut, which is a simple half burley, half Virginia blend. I have an estimated 400 lbs in the cellar aging. I could, and sometimes still do pull out some of the 2013 blends to smoke. But, in all honesty, I really don't think aging tobaccos is as fantastic as it has been reported. Maybe they all just need a few more decades to age, ha ha.

But, meanwhile I can easily find a few pounds of a simple, enjoyable burley blend, and smoke it while these fine, expensive, hard to find Virginias and VaPers age more.

I had thought about making a post about how we've all been duped, but the forum is full of bright-eyed younger pipe smokers, intent that a few years makes their tobacco like nirvana, a transcendental experience. I was once one of them. I actually stopped posting for a while this year, because I just felt the forum was mainly a brainwashing tool for manufacturers to push out this idea that aging makes their products 100xs better, which it doesn't. Then add in the bullshit about the FDA putting a stop to new blends, which it didn't.

I have my stockpile. And, I am not about to go chasing after new crap that is exactly the same as everything else out there, like a 14 year old girls after a new boy band. It's absurd.

So, I just smoke, sometimes an aged blend, which is no better than the new stuff, but mostly these easy to get delicious blends. I'll let someone else go about shouting that "The Emperor Wears Has No Clothes." I also feel no debt or mandatory gratitude for tobacco manufacturers. I give them my money, they've got a LOT of my money, and that's it. I will let the bootlickers suck up to these companies THAT return absolutely no loyalty to us.

So yeh, even without smoking those crappy, aromatic, nasty codger blends, I am an old codger. Let the suckers chase the unicorns.
In my opinion aging tends to just mellow out a blend a bit. And in some blends that's an incredible transformation but in most it's a huge investment of time for the return.

Reactions: kurtbob

redrooster1977

Might Stick Around
Jun 4, 2020
While I still lack the appreciation of those nasty codger blends, I have been smoking mostly Stokkebye's Cube Cut, which is a simple half burley, half Virginia blend. I have an estimated 400 lbs in the cellar aging. I could, and sometimes still do pull out some of the 2013 blends to smoke. But, in all honesty, I really don't think aging tobaccos is as fantastic as it has been reported. Maybe they all just need a few more decades to age, ha ha.

But, meanwhile I can easily find a few pounds of a simple, enjoyable burley blend, and smoke it while these fine, expensive, hard to find Virginias and VaPers age more.

I had thought about making a post about how we've all been duped, but the forum is full of bright-eyed younger pipe smokers, intent that a few years makes their tobacco like nirvana, a transcendental experience. I was once one of them. I actually stopped posting for a while this year, because I just felt the forum was mainly a brainwashing tool for manufacturers to push out this idea that aging makes their products 100xs better, which it doesn't. Then add in the bullshit about the FDA putting a stop to new blends, which it didn't.

I have my stockpile. And, I am not about to go chasing after new crap that is exactly the same as everything else out there, like a 14 year old girls after a new boy band. It's absurd.

So, I just smoke, sometimes an aged blend, which is no better than the new stuff, but mostly these easy to get delicious blends. I'll let someone else go about shouting that "The Emperor Wears Has No Clothes." I also feel no debt or mandatory gratitude for tobacco manufacturers. I give them my money, they've got a LOT of my money, and that's it. I will let the bootlickers suck up to these companies THAT return absolutely no loyalty to us.

So yeh, even without smoking those crappy, aromatic, nasty codger blends, I am an old codger. Let the suckers chase the unicorns.

I think the trying new blends is part of the fun. I'm a fisherman and though I have my regular spots, I'm always looking for the next "honey hole", the next favorite tobacco and when I was single we'll you know..... All in all it has been totally worth it.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

You must be leaving the Caps off of your Virginia forward blends if you haven't found them improved after a couple of years of aging. I will agree that not all tobacco improved with aging. Crap tobacco is still crap.