PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
For years I was a one to three blend kind of pipe smoker. Now I find that I like variety. I've collected some unobtainium ( at normal retail) and waited for shipments from Germany. My only regret is the last shipment, one that went wrong. So I don't need to chase anything because I have what I want. Actually, I was never much for chasing anything. I found ways to get what I wanted without chasing it.

I won't pretend to lack curiosity, but most of the time I find that some new blend is pretty much the same as something I've already smoked. So a "new" blend, which is often just a renaming and retinning of some existing blend, holds little interest for me. Just because 1Q has been tinned under a couple of dozen different names doesn't mean I have to collect the whole set.

I agree with Cosmic about aging, though the 2012 St James Flake I recently opened aged wonderfully well.

Sometimes aging helps and other times, like with STG's version of Escudo, it's a waste of time. Most of the blends I have that have aged are that way because I didn't get around to smoking them sooner.

I like all kinds of blends, from OTC's to vintage tins, but I'm also not going to drop a lot of money on an old tin. My experiences with that have been decidedly mixed.

I certainly didn't spend a lot on the vintage stuff. I bought them before the vintage tobacco market became a thing. Spending $120 on a tin of Petersen made Escudo isn't for me. I bought mine for $20 to $25 when they were just old tins, not "vintage" tins. $300 for an 8oz tin of 2005 Best Blend? Not when I bought mine for $50.

I guess I'm a curmudgeonly codger, as I'm definitely eccentric and capable of delivering pure acid when needed.

My cellar is pretty modest compared to some of the brobdingnagian hoards described here, a little north of 100 lbs. I'll be dust before I get through all of it. But I like having what I want to smoke when I want to smoke it. I can still enjoy some favorite now extinct blends because I bought them before they became extinct. Better, I paid normal retail for them rather than being obliged to sell a kidney to afford a tin of vintage Smegma dark.

Some of the oldsters I know are advanced Luddites. But most of them are not only quite conversant with new technologies, they were involved in creating or expanding them.

I have definitely come to appreciate simplicity. It's the best way to go.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think Tom Waits became a codger when he was about 23, wearing the clothes and assuming the speech and voice of a bowry dweller. He said he was inspired to do it because the old guys got to wear all the good hats. Get off my weedy front lot! I think it is PC that has a sale going on Lane OTC blends. Granger, Velvet, etc. Burley is my favorite.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
6 yrs ago I went to the drug store and bought a cob to smoke my ryo bagged ohm tobacco w/o papers.
I didn't know know you weren't supposed to inhale.
Once I found this site, and the youtube pipe smoking community...well...I wanted to try all the blends and I did try a lot those first few years.
It took awhile before I even referred to blends like Carter Hall, Sir Walter Raleigh, or Prince Albert as codger blends, only because I hadn't read the opinion that all tobaccos are actually over the counter, or OTC.
We codgers get hung up on semantics betimes.
Now that I have a handle on what I'm doing, tasting and attempting to do and taste, I keep it much more simple.
I did recently pick up a new blend to me...and found it to fit this genre perfectly and with great pleasure, and that's the burley of 5 Brothers tobacco. I seem to taste a hint of the same flavor as with Match Edgeworth Ready Rub.
Well..there are similar flavors in CH, PA, and SWR, but supposedly, 5 Bros is just tobacco?
I would be perfectly happy smoking a corn cob all the time...or more specifically a rotation of about 12 MM Prides.
Five Brothers in a cob with coffee is part of my morning routine :)