PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I'm a codger by age.
However, I find one of the things which gives me enjoyment these days is exploring tobacco blends I've never had before. For example, I have fallen in love with HU Tillerman flake, HU Best Irish and Vauen Himalayan.

That being said, every now and then I need a palate cleaning bowl of Carter Hall or Prince Albert. And for pure enjoyment, I will occasionally load a pipe of a really old codger blend, George Washington.
Oh man, Hadde’s Best Irish isn’t talked about enough in my opinion. That’s stuff is amazing! I’m glad to hear you are enjoying it!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
For fucks sake. Codgers don’t have internet, and they sure as hell aren’t on pipe forums talking about being codgers.
Isn’t it time for another Art of Manliness thread?
This is pretty true! I don’t think a true codger even knows what the term “codger” means in the way we use it on the forums. It’s something to aspire to I guess but I’m happy to say, I’ve got years to go before I reach that state of being.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
This is pretty true! I don’t think a true codger even knows what the term “codger” means in the way we use it on the forums. It’s something to aspire to I guess but I’m happy to say, I’ve got years to go before I reach that state of being.
Zen and the Art of Pipe Smoking. One can only become a codger by not caring about being a codger.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I think I’m heading that way. Mildly eccentric? Yes. Elderly? I hope not at 50-something. I do seem To enjoy almost everything I stick in a pipe lately. Don’t chase unicorns and don’t need another pipe. And for the first time ever I seem to think I’d be OK with just a few blends and don’t need that library of 70 or so. Tho... I’ve never smoked an OTC!

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I beg to differ. You can be a codger and be technologically savvy at the same time.
Amen sir! Up until 5 yrs ago was embedded with a unit overseas. Was the subject matter expert on their unmanned aircraft systems (drones) and not the little controlled with your iPhone kind! Hardware, software, RF and SATCOM.....yeah, don’t know nothin bout them interwebs. An art of manliness thread would be welcome! I’m aware of your background, so I feel where you’re coming from

Does a codger have to be somebody who identifies as a male by default? What about lady smokers who just can’t get enough of the prince? The term “cougar” doesn’t seem to work here...and what about half and half codgers? Fans of the blend I mean...
Phhht, a real codger doesn't give a crap what other people think. If you want to be a codger, just be a codger. I wear my cargo shorts, sandals with black socks, whatever the hell I want, because I like it. Hip young turkeys can just go jump in the river with their quipt judgemental attitudes. No one can tell a codger thay aint a codger.

It's all about attitude!