PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
A couple of decades ago, the Sci-Fi Cosplay group I was with was thinking to do something along the lines of "The Psychic Circus, the Greatest Show in the Galaxy" from an episode of the 7th Doctor Who (Sylvester McCoy). I was tentatively up to be the circus's bearded lady, and did some research on it.

Turns out that there are five types of bearded lady's in this world's circuses and side-shows. 1, real lady, real beard; 2, real lady, fake beard; 3, fake lady, real beard; 4, fake lady, fake beard; 5, somehow I can never remember what the fifth one was.

We never did get to the point of scripting the show, and the group fell apart around the time the director died.

Reactions: kurtbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
@anotherbob, suddenly had an image flash from your self-description, of the character Quentin Collins from my mom's old soap, Dark Shadows.
That show is awesome. Seriously when I first heard about it I thought my leg was being pulled. A gothic soap opera with Barnabus.... Yeah that's a real thing. Oh it it is and I am watching it on netflixs and it's awesome. Still can't grow a beard without frightening people. Honestly people will run from me when I have a beard. I guess they can't see my goofy smile or something.

Aug 1, 2012
A friend once told me that I would have a better chance of attracting a lady if I shaved my beard. 2 years later I was married. That was just shy of 30 years ago.

I shaved it once 15 years ago and the general reaction was "put it back!"

Now I'm trying for a long one. The humidity in Mumbai is good for keeping it full. It's curly as heck so a 5" long beard is about 3" regular. Gonna take down the sides as it grows out rather than down. I know it's seen as an affectation but beard oil has made a huge difference while I'm home for Christmas since the humidity is about 15-30% vs the 70%+ in India. Side note: beard oil is expensive in the states. Most bottles are $10+ while in the EU and India they are a couple bucks to $5 for an expensive one. I suppose I could just use conditioner but it's not the same.

Reactions: rushx9

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
A friend once told me that I would have a better chance of attracting a lady if I shaved my beard. 2 years later I was married. That was just shy of 30 years ago.

I shaved it once 15 years ago and the general reaction was "put it back!"

Now I'm trying for a long one. The humidity in Mumbai is good for keeping it full. It's curly as heck so a 5" long beard is about 3" regular. Gonna take down the sides as it grows out rather than down. I know it's seen as an affectation but beard oil has made a huge difference while I'm home for Christmas since the humidity is about 15-30% vs the 70%+ in India. Side note: beard oil is expensive in the states. Most bottles are $10+ while in the EU and India they are a couple bucks to $5 for an expensive one. I suppose I could just use conditioner but it's not the same.
Welcome back to the “world”. As someone who who has also been and lived all over, hit Amazon for Honest Amish beard balm. It’s the best I have found.......no lie the higher the humidity the softer n more manageable it is!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
@kurtbob knows about supple beards dude.
So, stuff like this ?is out?

longform-original-17724-1444140050-13.jpg

Aug 1, 2012
Welcome back to the “world”. As someone who who has also been and lived all over, hit Amazon for Honest Amish beard balm. It’s the best I have found.......no lie the higher the humidity the softer n more manageable it is!
Hey, thanks for the tip. I'll check it out when I'm here over the summer.

Reactions: kurtbob

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
So, last shaved the beard off in 1980. Had one, all be it a teenage one, since 17. So, this beard oil stuff my son in law bought me for Christmas, I
never used it before. Put 2 drops in palm rubbed into my beard per instructions. Did not seem like enough, we shall see...

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
Just started Septemper-ish of 2019. Always had a goatee since late high school, but the beard eluded me due to patchy sides. The first few months were pretty bad, but it's finally growing in enough that the patches can be manipulated inward to look fuller. Looks good enough to me to keep working on now. The neck and jawline are a full beard it's just the lower cheek areas that are patchy. I wish I could transfer my 'stache mojo into the sides of my face because I've got Friedrich Nietzsche levels of 'stache potential.

Reactions: rushx9
Status
Not open for further replies.