PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Fascinating thread. Lots of suspense. I'd be tempted to just get a top-notch pipe repairman to do a new stem, but that might be cheating. It could be a saddle stem. Wasn't that in the catalog picture of that pipe? I'd do a tortoise shell, but that's not original at all. Is that amazing birdseye grain on that pipe? If so, bravo. The real drama is seeing if it will make its way into the rotation or get sold off. After all this, I'd be powerfully tempted to keep it, but after all the hours, maybe not. You don't get a Barling for $4.50 every day.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Enjoyed this thread. I wouldn't have had a clue where to even start with this job.
That's why I gave it to Mike. I know he enjoys cleaning up pipes. I enjoy the hunt for pipes at antique shops, not cleaning them.

I have this one, also purchased at the same shop for $4.50. It's a no name with a Sterling band. I'll give it away to anyone who wants to clean/restore it.
20220106_143523.jpg
20220106_143357.jpg
20220106_143312.jpg
20220106_143648.jpg

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Fascinating thread

Enjoyed this thread
Thank you gentlemen!

@scloyd don't you tempt me! I still have that Wally Frank on the bench!

@jpmcwjr glad you found the correct product. Word to the wise, make sure you don't get any on the thread of the tube, otherwise when you put the cap on, its on for good. I mistakenly got a small amount on and now I need vice grips to open/close it!

Given the interest in the stem, I've smoothed down the hole best I can, and applied another layer of POR15. It is much smoother now. To apply, I used a small piece of plastic. Not much POR15 is used at all.

P_20220220_131127.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
It's starting to look like the "broken piece" in the mortise isn't actually that.

More likely a spacer that someone made to remove the gap between the bottom of the mortise and the end of the tenon...

OR

(and no, I'm not kidding)... what's there is ossified gunk. Nearly glass hard "petrified" yuck, created by someone who smoked the pipe hard and frequently cleaned it (he thought) with frequent alcohol-soaked pipe cleaners. And never, ever took the pipe apart.

The gap acts as a combination alcohol wringer and crud trap, and the crud particles in suspension plate out as the alcohol evaporates. Repeat X 1000 and you end up with something damn near as hard as acrylic (but significantly more brittle).

I've seen it maybe two dozen times over the years.

The fix is easy (if that's what it is in your case): a slip-fit drill bit gently hand-turned into the mortise until the crap stops coming out and wood shows at the end of the tunnel.
I worked a pipe the other day and my drill bit filled with dinosaur age tobacco tar. It was like a cement plug.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
@georged Not sure if you saw this pic from the other thread. Here's a close up I took before I sent the pipe to Mike.
View attachment 124757
Whatever it is...it's in there good.
Mike, I once had a pipe that had something stuck in it just like yours....it took me an age to get it out and it turned out to be a thick brass washer/spacer some bonehead had stuck in there cray

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: jpmcwjr